Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hazel843

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:41 am
azrael the reaper
hazel843
azrael the reaper
Card_King1
If then we are the only beings that are able to think abstractly, Then why is there some form of morality or moral standard in which we hold to. Why then when two people are arguing that most of a time, a person is trying to justify their actions instead of just saying "too bad for your standard I don't have to live up to it"? This doesn't really exactly say why we are here, but I think it adds another facet to the problem. Why are we the only beings(as far as we know) to hold to some sort of a higher moral standard than than just self-preservation? Where could that standard come from?
Benjamin

our human species is not intellegent enough to fully communicate with other species of animals. For this reason, we have no idea if any others have such a standard.

Wat r u talking about? We communicate 2 other species and we r still trying 2 find out more about them and ask how they see things

since when do we fully communicate with other species?

We dont fully communicate but we still do communicate, e.g we teach apes sign langue, its a working progress and we're understanding more and more about them.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:02 pm
Card_King1
Quote:

Morality exists only in our heads

Hmm I don't really understand. Why would a person care for someone else even when its to its own hurt. Why then is Loyalty considered a virtue in all societies, even third world peoples that have never been exposed to any other civilization?
Benjamin

Self-sacrificial devotion and loyalty are not unique to the human species. Animals great and small show the same mentality. Probably, it is hardwired into our brains after millions of years of evolution. It is beneficial to a species' survival to protect other members of the group. We've taken it further because our brains have evolved further, but the basic concept is the same.  

Kachan36

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:10 am
hazel843
azrael the reaper
hazel843
azrael the reaper
Card_King1
If then we are the only beings that are able to think abstractly, Then why is there some form of morality or moral standard in which we hold to. Why then when two people are arguing that most of a time, a person is trying to justify their actions instead of just saying "too bad for your standard I don't have to live up to it"? This doesn't really exactly say why we are here, but I think it adds another facet to the problem. Why are we the only beings(as far as we know) to hold to some sort of a higher moral standard than than just self-preservation? Where could that standard come from?
Benjamin

our human species is not intellegent enough to fully communicate with other species of animals. For this reason, we have no idea if any others have such a standard.

Wat r u talking about? We communicate 2 other species and we r still trying 2 find out more about them and ask how they see things

since when do we fully communicate with other species?

We dont fully communicate but we still do communicate, e.g we teach apes sign langue, its a working progress and we're understanding more and more about them.

card was saying that humans are the only creatures who have morals and i was simply staing that because we do not FULLY communicate with them, we do not know if they got morals. I said FULLY in my comment to card.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:01 pm
h1dd3nph34r
why do we exist? not what is the meaning of life, but why do humans live on this world, in this time? why not twenty, thirty, fifty, or even a hundred years form now? why now? what is the reason for why we exist.
i'll not launch a meaningless idea at you that will drive you away, but simply invite you to think of something yourself.

if anyone thinks to say 'to live life to it's fullest potential', or anything along those lines, please don't. this is not the meaning of life, but the reason life is there to have a reason. think about it long and hard before you post.

there is no meaning. humans are a branch off of an ancient ancestor we share with the chimpanzee. we are animals, we survived and came to be who we are through evolution. the "meaning of life" is just a romantic ideal similar to "true love" (which just in case you plan to badger me about also does not exist, there is only an instinctive desire to bond and spread genetic material. Some people claim their bond is greater than others and that they are destined never to split apart, they have entitled this superior caring "love". yet in truth their minds have been completely clouded by hormones. there is no love, only tolerance and cooperation).
Back to topic... yeah, despite how hard the human race has tried to pull themselves away from the category Animals, the biological evidence remains true and will remain so (until of course, the human race is transformed from biological creatures into cybernetic beings of our own design, or robots take over the world I am not that picky [half sarcasm- half that could actually happen in the not too distant future])
I am honestly not trying to be pessimistic (in reality I am very optimistic, personally i enjoy being a member of the great ape family, though it would be cooler to be a canine.. we probably would not get opposable thumbs then though) but it is time people took into consideration the hard facts, I am getting tired of convincing babies that believe we are gods materialized out of nothing on this earth to use it as we please.  

DragonHachling

Raine Wildheart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:13 pm
"If there is evil in the world, it lurks in the heart of man."

you know how every one is always saying 'darkness exists to balance out the light'? well, humans are that darkness. they might have been light at some point, but they havent been that way for a few thousand years. the real problem is that in this world, the only light to stop the darkness is in us- our hearts. our ability to care for something and take care of it, like families, friends, pets, even the environment. but everyone thinks there arent enough people like them to make a diffrence, so they ignore their light and follow darkness. think about it. we are destroying the earth with pollution, poaching, wasting and just about everything we do. and theres nothing to stop us. theres no light to balance the dark. and to make things worse, most people dont even have good hearts to begin with! in my opinion, the only diffrence in evil humans and good humans is the willpower to stop what they are doing and start helping others.
and we cant communicate with other animals because we just dont listen. i know it sounds wierd to sit in front of your dog and watch him while he barks his head off, but if we learn from them instead of trying to teach them, there wont be any problems.
heres a bonus: ask any scientist and they'll tell you our only point of living is to reproduce and keep our offspring alive. but common sense would tell you that the meaning of life is to live . thats it.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:10 pm
Raine Wildheart
"If there is evil in the world, it lurks in the heart of man."

you know how every one is always saying 'darkness exists to balance out the light'? well, humans are that darkness. they might have been light at some point, but they havent been that way for a few thousand years. the real problem is that in this world, the only light to stop the darkness is in us- our hearts. our ability to care for something and take care of it, like families, friends, pets, even the environment. but everyone thinks there arent enough people like them to make a diffrence, so they ignore their light and follow darkness. think about it. we are destroying the earth with pollution, poaching, wasting and just about everything we do. and theres nothing to stop us. theres no light to balance the dark. and to make things worse, most people dont even have good hearts to begin with! in my opinion, the only diffrence in evil humans and good humans is the willpower to stop what they are doing and start helping others.
and we cant communicate with other animals because we just dont listen. i know it sounds wierd to sit in front of your dog and watch him while he barks his head off, but if we learn from them instead of trying to teach them, there wont be any problems.
heres a bonus: ask any scientist and they'll tell you our only point of living is to reproduce and keep our offspring alive. but common sense would tell you that the meaning of life is to live . thats it.

it is interesting that the idea of the light and the idea of dark is brought up in your statement. To be honest we are beings who hold these two elements in which balance out. The idea of Yin and Yang. We sin, but in turn forgive. We hate but in turn love. We destroy but in turn create. It is as if we were our own God in which the God we think exist maybe the God in which we are made. In some ways our life is as if we were the divine in creating our pasts, presents, and the futures. Yet, I can not say we are Gods or Goddesses of the world in which we live. The divine being is questionable as our existence and as i said before in this forum the existence of us is the forever journey. We will question forever into this, but the answer is more questions, it has no resolve. We as beings though must admit we truly know nothing in this world, some things are answered, but not all.  

FF Turk_Panto

PlasticFantasticLover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:31 pm
I believe we're here do to the cycle of life. I think one of the first intelligent being were on the closest planet to the sun. When the sun died out there, and restarted(somehow, it's just a theory), the next intelligent race was on the second closest to the sun. I think humans will probably die out eventually, and something smarter will either replace us, or the Earth will just be in environmental peace until the sun dies again, and the cycle restarts. I don't believe in God, and when it comes to the meaning of life I think that, well, there isn't one. But you might as well stay here for the fun of it, if you choose to become non-existent without a meaning, then your ruining the fun. And that's why war and negativity is so stupid. The human race has to stop taking itself so seriously.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:36 pm
This might be a simple explaination compared to the five or six text walls I haven't bothered reading, but I always thought that the meaning of life was different for every person.
I mean...we all have to do something in life. I don't mean a fate kind of thing. It would be something you have to find by yourself. One action, one defining moment...something like that.
Just...a personal reason for living.

As for why we were put here as a a species... It's all God's plan, isn't it?

If there is no God, then we're just another rock around the sun that happens to have life crawling around on it... The meaning of life would just be to reproduce and keep the species going.

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:24 pm
Why do we exist? There is no reason. Life is life. It is self-perpetuating, with the intent to live long and reproduce.

A better question, in my opinion, is "Why do people NEED a reason for their existence?" Why can't people live for themselves? Why can't they enjoy life for what it is?  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff