Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Why do you think he did it? (Just give it a try.) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well, what do you think?
  His own reasons.
  The woman's well-being.
View Results

DvnT

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:49 pm
In that split second that we dont know what he thought, he remembered his wife and children clearly. Remembered that they died, and how it effected the one left behind. He remembered all this, and -wether pushed by the thoughts of suicide or thoughts of helping- did not help the woman at all.
Is it possible that he helped the man that would be in his situation when this ma'am died.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:37 pm
I find that it was more for the woman's sake. Maybe when he was going to save the woman, he forgot all thoughs about his life and commiting suicide, and though about the woman's life. But then when he was shot he thought that his life is finally over.  

the cat with facial hair

The Great DustBunny

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:27 pm
I think that it was a combination of both. He saw it as a way to end his life while giving someone else a chance to live theirs.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:26 am
KamikazeSkies
lance626
cofeeee

That was lame...and nobody thinks you're funny. Go get a hobby and remove yourself from the intelligent discussion threads, you don't qualify to be here.

First of all, allow me to thank you.
kyoshiro2
Here's a twist on the whole thing... Lets say this man was religious... And being religious he knew he would not go the heaven if he commited suicide... I order to go to heaven after so much sin... the way to redeam yourself it to sacrifice yourself for anothers life... So what I think is that from this situation is that he seen the opportuntity to:
1. Save a life
2. Redeam himself of the sinful thoughts and doings
And
3. To ultamately get what he wanted and could not bring upon himself....

Selfish yes but he did save the woman in the end meaning it was not a completely selfish act...

Well thats what I think anyway...

VERY interesting take on the question! The kaleidoscopic view that the lens of religion twists one's perception into is a take that I might not have thought of myself and adds an interesting new dimension to the question, especially if the man assumes that he would be seeing his family in the Heaven that (in your given scenario) he believes awaits him. It does, however, bear mention that you didn't mean "Religious," so much as "A religious Christian." There may be other specific religions that believe suicide means certain damnation, but Christianity is the most prominent in America (though I won't get into my thoughts on that particular topic) and being that my perception has placed this scenario in my own setting. Presumably, you've done the same. Besides, when it comes to gun-related deaths and murders, you can't really beat the USA. All things considered, though well answered.
That said, I would have to put my vote in with the "Little of both," voters. Really, it's kind of a glass half full/half empty question, with ones own view of humanity used as the measure of which way your scale tips. As for my own, or, in other words, were I to answer which cause I felt was dominant, I would say that there is too little information to give a definite, but since he valued the lives of others so much above his own, I tip towards the perception of this man as the unselfish savior, though as I said, of course elements of the coward were there as well. More telling even than the reasons listed above is that the average man doesn't think before acting but instead does what he is most accustomed to. In this case, he was likely more accustomed to placing others first (especially given the other information we have of him) thus my answer becomes more firm.
EDIT: Now expounded upon, with more detail.  

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

xXxlives_with_liesxXx

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:12 pm
you must remember he maybe be slowly disenagrating in his own sorrow but he is still a being at that moment i dont think he would really see anything else in his mind but the in distress woman so he acted not to save another soul but fueled by adrenaline.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
I think he did it because he is a good man, and couldn't stand the fact to see someone else suffer. But also saw a way to end his own suffering. But I think he was thinking more of the woman than himself.

OMG-JuliaJean

Omikami Amaterasu Jr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:41 pm
It was actually neither.He just had an instinctual reaction in an entirely consequential situation.When you have nothing to lose, you base your actions more on instinct than cognitive thought.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:24 pm
I'd have to say both.

It's like...what do they call it? A win-win situation?

Little Miss Codine

Slirpez

1,800 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:02 am
He couldn't have known he was going to be shot. Though I guess he could have thought about it, and gone for it.

So, I think I'm going to go with the optimistic side of this and say that he wanted to help this lady because she probably has someone out there that wanted her safe.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:44 pm
probably both i mean he saves some 1 and he also saw it as a way 2 commit suicide without actually doing it  

i heart me34

LadyJadeBlaze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:35 pm
I don't think that at the moment he decided to help this woman that he was thinking about his desire to commit suicide at all. Since he has/had a heart of gold, he would almost automatically act in a way to help the woman. I don't even think he would have thought about it from the perspective of her being someone else's wife/daughter/mother, though that could have been in the back of his mind as well.

Now, I do think that as he died, the part of him that was suffering from the depression/suicidal thoughts might have thought along the lines of "at least I don't have to go on anymore" and maybe felt relief. But I don't think he acted with that in mind.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:47 am
Hmm. I think he did it because he didn't want somebody else to end up like him. But he could have multiple reasons. It could possibly have just been impulse.

By the way I'm new! Hello! You guys can just call me Shippo.  

funshitsu shoki

Zzyli

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:21 am
I think that there could have been some of both thoughts going through his head. I think he may have been mostly thinking of someone else's safety, but at the same time, he thought that it may solve his problem. Of course in the split second, people make decisions that they may not otherwise.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:00 pm
I think at this point he really didn't give a flying...*cough*

Either outcome would be fine for him. What will be will be. If he dies, he will finally get what he has sought for and contemplated all this time.

If he lives, he would have been a hero (or had made an attempt considering the woman still lives in this scenario)

I think it was as someone said earlier..."he had nothing to lose"  

leiaki

leiaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:43 pm
i.e.

WHY NOT?

XD

sorry, couldn't help myself. But thats what he probably thought.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff