Submit

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:00 pm
Saying teenagers are incapable of deep thought is pushing it. On the other hand, claiming teenagers choose to be incapable of deep thought is more accurate. I'm fifteen, and I'm not arrogant enough to claim that all my peers are willing to think of "deep" things on a daily basis. It's not something they're interested in. They'd rather think about sports, their hot date, shopping, music, TV, videogames, etc.etc.etc. But if you play your cards right, you can get an entire class willing to debate over something outside of their daily lives. For example, I had an excellent history teacher who knew how to interest us, to have us want to pay attention in class. Competition. Hard-hitting questions. Stuff that could apply to us. Outrageous statements that were just begging to be argued against. We were talking about the nukes during World War II; was it really to subdue Japan? Did we do the most damage then, even though the covered-up firebombings dealt more casualties? Or was it because the U.S. was out to show off to the rest of the world? Whatever the answer, everyone was paying attention. Even the ditzy girls were no longer hiding their phones behind Gucci purses.

Teens can be provoked to learn. I choose to learn on my own because it's just the way I am, not because I'm more "mature" than anyone else. I'll pick up a subject and research it like crazy over the weekend. But at the same time I slack off on school subjects that bore me to death.

Oh, and adults have more life experience in general. Compared to an adult of the same neighborhood and living situation, they will always beat out the kid. Compared to a teen who's been living on the streets, doing crazy s**t so they can stay alive, and an adult who was raised in a comfortable, loving home.....the tables are turned.

An adult who wasn't taught a proper education, didn't want to learn, never sought to know things beyond the basics compared to a bright teen who reads big boring text books for fun and strives to find the cure for the common cold? The teen is more knowledgeable, but whether they can think beyond facts and equations is questionable.

A politician compared to a politics-interested teen.
A philosopher compared to a thoughtful teen.
A psychic compared to a highly-sensitive teen.

Which one can think "deeper"?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:14 pm
I believe some people think that about teenagers because teenagers now are not as teenagers were twenty (hell, even five) years ago, and it gives the people who say that less respect for modern teenagers. They believe we're all a bunch o' hooligans....

I've never met anyone who expressed these thoughts to me, however, but I sure feel like some people think that way, at times....

Tasty Crayons

Druid of Shadows

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:25 pm
For some reason that never applies to me in any class or social environment EXCEPT gym since I'm extremely lazy xD
But this is one of my stories with my old english teacher.
I had to do an assignment, it's fairly straightforward, just analyze something and say what you think of it.
So I did so, and I went to print it- the printer died. So, I send an e-mail to my teacher saying that the printer didn't work and I'll try to get on it, sending the file just to be sure. So, three days later, I finally bring it in, and she gave me a 0 because she said I was obviously lying about the entire printer thing and I need to actually do something on time no excuses.
She just was a total witch...

But the reason why adults think that way of us is probably because they see all the REAL hooligan teenagers hanging around smoking pot and stuff on the streets so they automatically assume that all of us are like that, in my opinion ^^'  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:11 pm
I think that teen agers are actually MORE capable haaaaaaaaatsssssswen it comes to deep thought. Adults somethings think they understand it all and when a new idea comes along, they disregard it while teenagers try to think it through and figure out what makes sence.  

Dragon in Heart

Dragon in Heart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:12 pm
shot keyboard got stuck. that was supposed to be when  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:25 am
Dragon in Heart
I think that teen agers are actually MORE capable haaaaaaaaatsssssswen it comes to deep thought. Adults somethings think they understand it all and when a new idea comes along, they disregard it while teenagers try to think it through and figure out what makes sence.

oh yeah, i agree completly.

if you look even younger, little kids are really excited when they learn things that are new to them.

adults, however, have already lived a long life, so they've experienced a lot and think the way they did things was best.

teens are in the middle. they are more experienced in life than kids, but still open to new things.  

azrael the reaper_95210

seriouscat_25

Mystical Cat

19,450 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:55 pm
Yes, I also agree in Dragon...! There are a lot of teens out there who are really capable of deep thought, rather than most adults are. The problem is other than what most adults would imply to their teen children, some societies have norms they impose...And honestly, I think that's what obstructs a teen's sense of deep thought...And yeah...I'm one of them...hooray for Gaia and this guild though...! This made me active in the rounds of life...

Now, honestly there are a lot more to teens aside from what we do...heck, I'm 17 and I would like to know what makes a human more of themselves or Is being real, being real...? Oh, what the heck...i'll ponder this myself...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:25 pm
"I'm big, your small. I'm smart your dumb!" [Quote from Matilda, both father and principal said this].

I think that adults think they know more because their older, and that's what they've been taught as they grow up, that adults are smarter then anyone else.

I'm in my Young teens, and I have plenty of deep thoughts, but I do have my stupid times too. My head is like a pool at a hotel, it starts off so shallow it can't even cover a dime, but eventually you can't have a breath large enough to touch the bottom.

DvnT

Ra1k1ra_Kakashi SnJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:40 pm
Ink_Weaver_Heart
The entire "Teenager" versus "Intelligence Level" isn't entirely empty of stock. There are a few factors that contribute to this. Specifically to "deep thought": deep thought is only as we define it, and many define it differently. Most people think of deep thought as either analytical thought towards something in real life, or philosophical and comprehension of nonexistant theories and predications. The two main reasons for the steriotype of teenager thought capabilities are as follows:

-- Self Imposed/Subconscious actions

Everyone knows that everything anyone tells them has an affect on them. When people grow up, they are told that adults are smarter, adults are wiser, adults know how to handle situations better, adults know more than you. Whether people like it or not, these thoughts start to impose themselves upon teens. And therefore, they subconsciously act in the ways they are expected to act.

-- Actual Facts

As people age, their knowledge increases. They do, however, become more adjusted to whatever culture they are in and begin to adjust to that way of thinking. So, in truth, Adults have more knowledge than younger people. That does not mean that they think better though. I have met children who ask more inquisitive questions than graduated scholars.

Oooohs! Meez toos! Whee! 4laugh

Sigh. It's really teenagers like me who are giving adults this concept. :XP: I act childish and innocent a lot of the time to retain some form of childish innocence and curiosity. Of course, it doesn't actually work very well, but it does cause a couple of adults to treat me less toughly as other teenagers. whee That, and the fact that I look younger than my age; it's only my height that's giving it away, apparently. stressed Okay, but this isn't quite related to the topic... sweatdrop

A couple of the psychology text books I've read said that the ability to perceive and understand deeper concepts heightens during your teen years, around age fourteen, but I've met younger people who have been able to present very intuitive arguments, questions, and so forth.

The teachers at my school actually expect us to be able to think deeply, but of course, it isn't like this every where. I've considered this over a lot, but I keep wondering what makes adults think that we're incapable. Yes, they've gained more knowledge through their increased age, but do they remember when they first started being able to think more... more... you know, deeply? Maybe it's because not all of them have considered their transition of thoughts from childhood to teenage years.

Also, teenagers are normally at high risk of all sorts of accidents, especially car accidents. We hear about how teenagers get involved in gangs, drugs, and fall to peer pressure often, so that may be part of the cause. Adults also assume that their smarter because they're older, and they're the dominant beings of the Earth. It might also be because a lot of us act immature and more childishly than we are, and it forms the views adults have about teenagers.

How many of us actually discuss deep philosophical concepts with our parents? I do, but however strong my argument is against my parents, they assume that they're correct, saying that they have more life experience than me. emo That's totally true, but I do know that they have not always considered every subject thoroughly; and sometimes I'm actually able to give a really good counter-argument. Sadly, they always get all weird on me... talk2hand So uncool... stare

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:32 pm
*sighs* My mother always yells at me when I start to talk about religion or abortion or politics, says I shouldn't be thinking about that.

Most of the time, I'm thinking about books I've read, things that happen on a daily basis. I think about whether or not I could truly believe in a religion for someone I love so much. I think about the point of war. I think about whether there is a god or not. I think about reasons for abortion. I think about politics and why things go on the way they do. I think about the human mind, the way it works. I think about power and life and people and pain and love. I wonder if humans are born to die or if there is a better reason. I wonder if it would be better to die or live. I wonder how things work the way they do. I wonder why cancer occurs or why people assume so often. I try to talk to my parents and tell them that overseas, there have been cures for cancer, but the American government doesn't want it here. I just get laughed at. I mention that there are reports and everything, I'm told that they're all lies, everyone wants cancer stopped.
*sighs* It might not be a lie though...
I think about why people...hurt each other. My mother always tells me that people in abusive households only are mean outside their homes...but...I live in an abusive household and I don't throw things at people or scream at them or laugh at them for reading...
I just...see the other teens at school complain about how they haven't gotten a new game or cell phone or clothes. I don't understand it.
But there are some people who live in abusive households that turn out pretty sad...People are so confusing, all the time.

I think teens are more capable of deep thought because they're not cast in stone, they're completely malleable. And schools take advantage of that. It's all...a competition. Not for the best in students, but the most you can memorize or how hot or social you are. High school freakin' sucks...  

Sky of the Silver Ocean

5,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100

Ui-kun

3,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:49 pm
I believe its our actions that shows most adults that teenager, to them, are incapable of intellectual thought processes. When adults watch news brodcasts there is usually one young adult that screw things up weather it be stealing to graffiti at a local church. They also feel that because we are too young to be making any type of responsible decissions for ourselves that we should be held to the desire and ideas of our seniors. If you think about it - thats how the generation before us and the generation before them where raised, No questions asked - do as your told and you wont get hurt. It's all a mindset that i feel our government has thrust upon them. Think about the things they had to fight for to get a little leash from racism (in which some of us are still dealing with today) and subjected to bending over backwards for there/our own government. As long as you hold your own ideals, philosophy, whatever it may be, keep it. When adults aren't aware that you have your own opinion, discuss it among people that may listen like friends or family. Or you could always shout it out loud to the person next to you. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:44 am
It's all just sterotyping and it's something that is nearly impossible to get rid of. Many adults naturly think that teenagers are these moody, angst, act on emotion and impulse type of people, when they proceede to neglect the fact that they were once in our shoes. The way many adults treat us like were almost inferior to their "intelligence level" reminds me a lot of how some experienced players treat newbs in online games. Those experienced players immediately think that the new guys are going to go around and act like they are on top of the world, and so they treat the newbies like crap. Because they are a higher level and think they deserve more respect. The experienced player fails to remember that they had to start out fresh at one point as well.

Sorry, that little video game reference was sort of random. But yeah, I've had incidents where a teacher scolded me, called me a liar, and told me that because I'm a teenager, I don't know what I'm talking about. On the contrary, I've also had both adults and teenagers alike tell me that they think I'm insightful and wise for my years. It really just depends on who it is your talking to. You'll either meet people who don't follow the sterotypes, don't believe them, or look at them as if they're some kind religion. It all varies with each individual.  

Dictator Hiyasha

Skrapz

7,950 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:58 am
Simply by posting this topic you are proving your RE teacher wrong.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:55 pm
It annoys me today that teachers and adults think we don't have deep thoughts. Just because we are teens doesn't mean that we don't have deep thoughts. In fact, I think its the complete opposite! We have concerns that are over looked. Adults look at us and see teenagers who they think could care less. But we do care. They just choose not to accept the fact that we do have deep thoughts. I think that the thought of us as teens having deep thoughts scare them. And since they can't change us they label us as uncaring and incapable of having deep thoughts.  

mara love queen

Virtus Fierkin

350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:07 pm
Many teens find it hard to actually think because of all the medication society has them doped up on. Not to mention all the advertisements.... the average teenager takes in OVER 3,000 advertisements *A DAY*.... multiply that by a week, a month, a year.... our world is a sketchy one...
And then there is the stereo-typing of teens by adults and other teens that we cannot think past videogames and whatever... don't let them stereo-type you.... but!!! DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET CARRIED AWAY ON A CRUSADE TO PROVE THEM WRONG.... why? you cannot build an empire on the foundation of being against somehting.... you MUST build an empire with a vision FOR somehting...
So build your empires, build YOURSELVES, not against all those who would look down on you. Build yourselves up, learn, grow, for yourselves and your passions! And never forget those you love! For if you worried only about yourself, you would become vain and selfish, and prove all those out against right....
Good luck out there!
"7  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas