Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
The art of sounding smart....some people don't get it Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

piink21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:42 am
Here is/are my two cents in the matter because this really bugs me. I can and do type both ways depending on the situation and also how I feel. Hence, it really ticks me when some arrogant snob verbally attacks me or anyone I see for typing underhanded and lazy. So what? I am not killing you! Let those who txt tlk...do just that. I am very intellectual, yet I choose to sometimes lax my lingo. No one should throw stones because we are all just random strangers on Gaia. For this reason, I jump in and defend those being called "stupid" and "ignorant" for a measly mispelling or bad grammar in rooms and I am proud of it. I do not argue, but I do like to engage in academic discourse because it is the best kind. Get over it people.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:27 am
dvn -camilla price-
I know! I can't stand it when we are talking in a very professional way or about an adult topic, and someone starts typing in "Txt tak" or "l337 5934k" [Leet speak]. It's so annoying. And someone will swear, swearing only makes people seem less intelligent. That is the only reason I do not like Gaia and other places online.

I agree~  

N K Cake

Conservative Poster

5,700 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:49 pm
I have a friend who, depending on who she is cosplaying as, types in 1337 or normal english.
while cosplaying as a character from .hack who speaks only in corrupted text, she types 71|<3 7|-|15.
it starts out to be a pain, but it's kinda fun to read once you get used to it.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:08 am
DracosPrinny
I was in a puzzle room, talking with some people. From out of nowhere, one asks, 'y do u type like dat?'
I reply that I like to use proper spelling and grammar.
Then the whole room jumps on me, calling me a 'gay 40 year old' because of the way I type.

The fact that these people exist and that there are more of them out there... Kinda makes me surprised the world didn't stupid itself to death yet.

You've got my sympathy.  

sugarynsweetapplepie

Silvie Verisimilitude

Gracious Hunter

6,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:25 pm
I don't mind text talk as long as it's not totally overboard where half the sentence is numbers. If you're gonna use numbers to replace a word letter by letter....just use the letter. But otherwise, I let people be. It's my choice to avoid text talk as much as possible. No point in changing a person when they don't want to change....and no point in totally judging a person by how they type or text.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:01 pm
My father is a professional writer- as in he gets payed to write articles for a magazine and has a book published. His father is a retired English professor. My mother studied English Literature at the UofT. I was brought up to use proper grammar, it is actually harder for me to use text talk because I am not used to it. Nor do I see any need to become so.

I don't pretend that my grammar and spelling are perfect. (I am very thankful for in browser spell checking!) Nor do I expect other people to have perfect spelling or grammar. I do expect that if they want to get a point across they will make an effort to express it in an understandable fashion

And if someone called me a "Gay 40 year old" because of the way I type I would respond that I would rather be a middle aged queer than someone who couldn't use proper English.  

Charlie Dodo

4,750 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Captain Gelatin

5,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:43 pm
I am truly guilty of refusing to use apostrophes. On the subject of sounding intelligent, I have only one sentance of advice.
" Tis better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."
for those who dont get that,
" Dont talk about things you dont know about, it only makes you look like an idiot. "
Id rather have people think im stupid but not be sure, than me open my mouth and be stupid.
as for Leet and Txt, I hate them.
an occasional misspellation or grammatical err is alright by me, like I said, I dont use apostrophes.

For those who dont realise it, im a very abstract thinker, my thoughts tend to jump a lot xD

people think im unnintelligent for that,  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:35 pm
I honestly think you can sound smart without acually being smart. Like... if you know what you're talking about, and you have things to back it up, but you stink in school, you can sound smart. But yes there are people out there who are complete fakes when it comes to sounding smart. Also with the whole spelling things wrong on the internet...
User Image  

Starstruck Rainbow

killerclownmeat

6,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:16 pm
Intelligence to some people is like abstract art, no matter how many times you turn it for someone he's still not gonna get it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:07 pm
Yorozuya_Harujiro
DracosPrinny
I was in a puzzle room, talking with some people. From out of nowhere, one asks, 'y do u type like dat?'
I reply that I like to use proper spelling and grammar.
Then the whole room jumps on me, calling me a 'gay 40 year old' because of the way I type.

The fact that these people exist and that there are more of them out there... Kinda makes me surprised the world didn't stupid itself to death yet.

only a matter of time, my dear Watson....
it's going to happen unless we few intelligent people rise up and... you know, I haven't really thought a plan out. sweatdrop

Can you imagine how the people who use text talk, swear for no reason and act like noobs, are in real life?

I imagine most must be kids trying to act older and tougher. But what scares me is that there are people our age wandering gaia acting and writing the way they do.

Sure text talk is not bad, but I hate this:
WTF man? y u do that $#!7 2 me?

and so on, I text talk whenever I think I'm about to make the other person lose consciousness over how long I'm taking to respond.  

Happy atheist777

Britainian_Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:57 am
Tarantellatears
Being correct is better than trying to be smart and sounding stupid because you mess something up. Stick to what you know as facts - look stuff up if you don't know it. Learn. Nothing's more annoying than a smart-a** who uses incorrect grammar or gets their facts mixed up (I should know, I'm one of them ^-~ )

so very true. The best way to look smart is to be smart, spelling and grammar are a big part of looking smart though. When dealing with idiots it also works to make things up and see what they'll believe(it can be very entertaining).  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:27 pm
If someone is smart, or stupid, i don't think it's for one person alone to decide, though my spelling and punctuation is usually incorrect, i would like to think that i am not without knowledge.
in my opinion, a smart being, is one with the desire to learn, and better themselves. not someone who flaunts what they do know, so others will think they are "intelligent."

With the means, and a desire to learn, anyone can attain knowledge.
But no amount of "intelligence" can cure Stupidity, remember that when your calling others stupid for their bad spelling, punctuation, or lack-there-of. which is usually the result of a lack of experience in the first place.

Tell me, who is the worse: the moron, or the idiot who continues to fight with him?  

Yuuki Aoyagi

girlscomplex

Profitable Prophet

5,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Threadmaster 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:29 am
i often abbrieviate when i'm typing, simply because i don't like to type very much. i'm not bothered as much by text talking [as long as it's not over-the-top] as i am by people who say ignorant or inflammitory things online, simply because the internet is anonymous.
also, there are lots of people online who speak english as a second language, often with only a little expirience in using it conversationally. they can't really be blamed for making grammatical and spelling errors, can they? i would hate if someone came down on me for using the wrong pronoun while speaking french!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:26 pm
I don't know about labeling someone stupid over something as minor as a typo. After all, I'm sure we've all done it more than once. I think there's a big difference between intelligence and sometimes clumsy fingers. I make all kinds of typos and have to re-read things a few times to fix them, but that really just means I probably don't spend a whole lot of my time on the computer. It's true that it's better to be smart than pretend to be smart.  

unrequietedCat

weepy young devotchka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:16 am
i hate it when people attack my lack of punctuation or capitalization on here and assume that because i type like this on gaia that i type like this everywhere.

it's so ******** stupid.

also, when people say swearing makes you more unintelligent. words are words.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff