Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Whats so bad about anime, it isn't against God, is it? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is Anime and Manga really that bad?
  No!
  No comment
  Yes, go play in traffic.
  Gold!
View Results

x_hardcore_princess_x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:36 pm
Oh God...I honestly hate people like that. It was like that for me just this past year. People always teased me because I would draw anime on the computer in computer class/I'd bring manga to school/I would doodle in class. They always laughed about it but I was never told anything to my face (the cowards...). I think what you should do is stand up for your interests and show them that you're not ashamed in the least of liking anime/manga and you'll do whatever the hell you want to.

And the whole 'it's against God' thing: I'm Catholic and I'm pretty much obsessed with anime. I believe it's not against God at all. All anime really is is entertainment from Japan. Nothing more and nothing less.

Besides, even if it was against Him, He would still love you all the same!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:00 pm
Don't listen to the kids. They're obviously not that smart if they think animation is against God. ANIMATION IS ANIMATION!! It's just an extension of the mind that created it. Sure, some content of anime/manga can be against God, but not all anime/manga is like that. I highly dislike people who say things like that.  

PelicanBlack

Dapper Prophet

kkoreo6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:51 am
I understand how you feel.... I love to draw anemie and Naruto.... but I keep my naruot liking a secret because people make fun or me for drawing a mermaid from sheer boredom.... and I am obsessed with Naruto but my parents say I should give it up because I am going into freshmen year...I mean WTF!!!!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:16 pm
I think people are just indifferent to things that they don't know about, not to mention that us Americans are pretty closed-minded, especially when it comes to other cultures. My mom has always been against me watching anime because she doesn't "like the way the girls are drawn". So girls have boobs, it happens, and that's a stereotype anyway. She's always been against it, whether it's what i watch now or even Sailor Moon back in preschool, and i don't think she'll ever change. Just because something's anime doesn't mean it's bad (I mean, look at Magical DoReMi...) and there are much worse things out there.  

Crashdiet1313

kkoreo6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:31 pm
I know... but seriously... I am 13 and my parents think Anime and cartoons are too "kidish".... do you guys think so?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:35 am
it depends in what context the anime is.  

Dermoi

kkoreo6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:58 am
Well I like Naruto....  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:56 am
Well, people used to hate me for liking anime, manga, and certain video games. I soon established that i didn't care what they thought, Now I'm one of the most popular kids in my school. Its not hard to notice that everyone liked anime at one point, and probably still does. dragon ball Z is the best example, all of my friends watched it when it was on, and we still do. they won't admit it because they think its childish, but they like it, trust me. I wouldn't call them out on it, but look for some signs.
-they know they're stuff: they name specific things about certain animes/mangas, then when asked about it, they act as if thats all that they know.
--they know characters: If they make fun of you by using the name of a character.

anything along those lines is a dead give away. also remember this basic fact. humans personify things that they don't like about themselves through others, and use those people as scapegoats to keep suspiscion away from themselves.

also,anime is not childish, as a matter of fact, most of it is made for adults.  

Master Bei Shin

AshesFallen

Dangerous Lunatic

4,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:28 pm
People often are surprised when they found out about my obsession with anime and mangas but then just shrug it off because I'm asian, so I guess I have it easier than you
On the otherhand, they're surprised usually because I look like a hardcore student who uses all my time reading textbooks or something
Sure, I'm a bookworm, and I read my share of thick stuff, but I also enjoy art, and mangas are a form of literature and art.
They should open up their minds more than just a bit. Just because it originates from a different country doesn't make it antiAmerican. In fact, so much of the things we buy are made in China. What does that say about hypocrisy?
And God? Uh, sorry, I'm atheist, so I'm used to it. But if there is one, isn't He or She also the creator of all things on earth and heavens, including mangas and anime? I'd say they are something even God would enjoy XD

Why would people judge us by what we like? I would never understand that. What I do on my own free time is none of their business if it doesn't interfere with their lives. I live and walk my own road and I'll enjoy the scenery as much as I want. Life is too short to care about everyone else's opinion.

I bet they are all closet cosplayers anyways ^-^
At least know that we are supporting you!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:31 pm
kkoreo6
I know... but seriously... I am 13 and my parents think Anime and cartoons are too "kidish".... do you guys think so?

My parents and some friends say that too XD
But then there are mangas rated T and M...

Our childhood doesn't last long... I'm still denying I'm growing up and I still watch saturday cartoons as a senior in high school

There are no age limits on things we like! Enjoy anime and take comfort in the fact there are much older otakus out there... well, maybe you shouldn't take comfort in that.... it just sounds a bit creepy, oops  

AshesFallen

Dangerous Lunatic

4,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100

Silver Melodies

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:25 pm
Ignore them they're just ignorant children. rolleyes There's nothing wrong with liking anime and not all of it could be considered blasphemous.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:36 pm
OF COURSE IT AINT! Its just a brand of books! They need help if the think its aginst god! Cause my fam believes in god and most of us read animea!  

Mara the Ice Princess

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:03 pm
ANimes and Mangas are the same as cartoons and comics. They only reflect the viewpoints of their author. Hiroki Endo, one of my favourite authors, for example has a "both sides of the coin" view, some characters in his mangas do faith in god, some others don't and what I like most: His stories don't end up in "choose the right thing atheist/christ", they contain more of a "equal if you believe or not, both is right and wrong"

Naruto for example has nothing of a religious message to me, because it's only about fighting and all that stuff, if there ever was a religious message behind any episode, I must be blind. Not even Avatar (ok it's western cartoon, because it's not japanese, blah) has a religious message, though there are different cultures, but once again, beliefs/religions are not framed explicite.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:31 pm
The easiest way to decide if this goes against the Christian God or not:

1.) Consult the Bible. If you can't find anything anywhere that says this is a sin, it probably isn't.

2.) Consult your concience. If you cannot find any reason whatsoever why this is wrong, it probably isn't.

3.) Consult your God. Pray and pray and pray some more. Ask Him for answers. Know that whatever He sends you is truth.

4.) If you cannot find a good answer alone, talk to whatever religious leader you have (paster, priest, etc.) and ask him not only if it is wrong, but why. Never let anyone decide for you; the Bible is always right, but people are not.  

Arachnakid

Arachnakid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:35 pm
kkoreo6
I understand how you feel.... I love to draw anemie and Naruto.... but I keep my naruot liking a secret because people make fun or me for drawing a mermaid from sheer boredom.... and I am obsessed with Naruto but my parents say I should give it up because I am going into freshmen year...I mean WTF!!!!

Anime is not the same as an American cartoon, it can be very mature at times. You should explain this to them, it's a common mistake that parents make.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff