Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Feelings on Gay Marriage? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gay marriage?
  Yay!
  Nay!
View Results

THE_SHY_ONES

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:40 am
i agree people should be able to marry whomever they please cause love knows no boundaries  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:30 pm
I think it is a federal matter better left to the states as opposed to national allowance or prohibiting.

I also do not acknowledge morale issues as relevant to the countries future.

I am against it since if a national issue and passed it would be infringement on 51% of America as a society. Seeing as how only 10% of the voting community is homosexual and I see it as more of a scam through usage of the United Families act I am against gay marriage. It will pave the way to easier means of slowing down illegal immigration and in a logical judgment call I see it as not as important.  

Bible Black Suicide

Sakusha-sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:28 pm
My parents are lesbian. Actually not really, they were straight their whole lives until they fell in love... but that's a different story. I just wanted to say that all the reasons that are commonly provided are completely false. I am the only one of my friends that has never had any family problems, and my parents love and support me no matter what but will always do their best to make sure I am a positive force in society.
The only reason I see that gay marriage shouldn't be legal is because of the controversy that would come up as a result of declaring it legal. But this is at least supposed to be America, the land of dreams, where every major civil rights movement (even those met with harsh resistance at the time) has been rewarded and later honored as a significant and inspiring part of our history. So I say go for it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:27 pm
Bible Black Gaiden
I think it is a federal matter better left to the states as opposed to national allowance or prohibiting.

I am against it since if a national issue and passed it would be infringement on 51% of America as a society. Seeing as how only 10% of the voting community is homosexual and I see it as more of a scam through usage of the United Families act I am against gay marriage. It will pave the way to easier means of slowing down illegal immigration and in a logical judgment call I see it as not as important.

How is it an infringement on the rest of the country to let a portion of the populace be allowed to marry like everyone else? The only people it effects are the gay people who want to get married. It has no REAL effect on anyone not a gay wanting to get married.

The Uniting American Families Act applies only to gay men/women that are coupled with an a immigrant, which is certainly a small fraction of gay couples, thus making your argument negligible and irrelevant to the topic at large. Besides, STRAIGHT couples are already allowed such rights. Why shouldn't gay couples have those same rights?

Maybe it's not important to you, but don't you think you'd feel differently if YOU were gay and couldn't marry the person you loved? You have to look at these types of issues from beyond how they apply to you and think about how they might effect others.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Bible Black Suicide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:24 pm
Nemesis Erinys
Bible Black Gaiden

How is it an infringement on the rest of the country to let a portion of the populace be allowed to marry like everyone else? The only people it effects are the gay people who want to get married. It has no REAL effect on anyone not a gay wanting to get married.

The Uniting American Families Act applies only to gay men/women that are coupled with an a immigrant, which is certainly a small fraction of gay couples, thus making your argument negligible and irrelevant to the topic at large. Besides, STRAIGHT couples are already allowed such rights. Why shouldn't gay couples have those same rights?

Maybe it's not important to you, but don't you think you'd feel differently if YOU were gay and couldn't marry the person you loved? You have to look at these types of issues from beyond how they apply to you and think about how they might effect others.

Then you have to look at a logically based decision. As I have said it would be a infringement as 51% do not agree with it. Making it a basis of infringement on the mindset of the majority.

Seeing as how this would skyrocket if it was a national decision the United American Families Act could be a legible argument.

As this is a small populace it is still a infringement none-the-less. Its neo-partisan crap to throw in the what-if situation substantiated by a simple morale argument.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:31 pm
Why do people have to go through the Christian ritual of Marriage anyway? The whole symbolic ceremony is really an old white bunch of symbolizm that hardly anybody stays with. If you love someone you just will love them no matter.  

Knightflyer

Wesker89

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:42 am
i think if it makes you happy go ahead and do it and dont let no one stop you  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:14 am
in my opinion gay marriage should be allowed, Eery possible argument against can be disputed, and i will be more than willing to do so...again..(and before any bashers say anything, i am happily married to my WIFE)  

MenDia

TenguHime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:53 pm
Feeling slightly ignorant at the moment; can anybody explain what the Uniting American Families Act is?

Bible Black Gaiden
...in a logical judgment call I see it as not as important.

You might feel differently if your lifestyle choices were the ones being labeled unimportant or inferior. If you were the one who wasn't legally able to visit your significant other if s/he were in the ER, or if you were being denied the same basic rights the rest of the country has, you would probably feel differently.

Bible Black Gaiden
Then you have to look at a logically based decision. As I have said it would be a infringement as 51% do not agree with it. Making it a basis of infringement on the mindset of the majority.

I don't believe that 51% is even close to being a reliable statistic of the people who disagree with gay marriage. Where are you getting that number?

Anyway, even if 90% of the country disagreed with gay marriage, it should still be legalized, because it has absolutely no effect on them. It simply provides an option for gay couples who want to dedicate their lives to each other. It is not an "infringement" on anyone.

Quote:
Why do people have to go through the Christian ritual of Marriage anyway? The whole symbolic ceremony is really an old white bunch of symbolizm that hardly anybody stays with. If you love someone you just will love them no matter.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. The real reason everyone makes such a fuss over gay marriage is because insurance companies don't want to have to give them the same benefits that married straight couples receive. There are also all kinds of tax issues surrounding it. Besides that, it's a matter of social status. Unmarried couples don't receive the same amount of respect that married couples do, and most people don't really know the implications of having a civil union, whether it's the same thing (emotionally speaking, if not legally) as being married or not.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:54 pm
Oh, and I'm pro-gay marriage, if you hadn't guessed. wink  

TenguHime

Florals

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:16 pm
The fact that we, as a society, are still discriminating against people because of their sexual orientation is absolutely disgraceful.

People may say 'What does marriage matter? It's only a piece of paper!', but it's so much more than that. Marriage is the deepest expression of love; it's committing yourself completely to one person forever and simply being in a relationship doesn't quite live up to that. The Christian ceremony of marriage isn't what matters to people anymore - they're not binding themselves together in the eyes of God, they're doing it because they're in love.

Imagine if your loved one was taken ill and was rushed into hospital? Their family are allowed to rush to their bedside, but you can't; you're not family. Can you imagine how heartbreaking that would be? There are so many issues like this that people don't even consider when they declare gay marriage 'wrong'.

Thankfully I live in a country where Gay Marriage (or 'Civil Partnerships') have been legal for some time, yet gay couples are not quite given the same rights as straight couples, sadly.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:01 pm
A lot of people say it isn't, but I think that Gay Marriage is, in fact, protected under the Constitution of the US.

Something called "Freedom of Religion." I say this because, the ONLY thing against gay marriage is religion. No scientific, social or other experiment has shown ANYTHING negative about gay marriage. Only Religion, namely Christianity, have anything against gay marriage.

And on that, I'd like to say, if the old testament was superseded by the new, meaning that Christians get to eat pork, don't have to circumcise, etc, then why did that not affect gay marriage, which is also only condemned in the old testament?  

Kaze_no_Hibiki

Vajapocalypse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:45 pm
Kaze_no_Hibiki
A lot of people say it isn't, but I think that Gay Marriage is, in fact, protected under the Constitution of the US.
People also forget that marriage is a legal contract. In our country it is not just a religious union nor is it required to be. If it was just a religious union I would completely agree that they have a right to make marriage between a man and a women (although that would have to go by a church by church basis considering the fact that not all churches are anti gay marriage).
Like I have said if you want to reinstate "traditional" marriage (taking that from the CA vote yes on prop 8 people) then you also need to ban divorce, ban every religion that does not use marriage as religious union, reinstate arranged marriages (because traditionally marriage isn't about love) and most importantly you need to strip the rights of women. I don't want traditional marriage do you? I want the right for people to marry who they love on the basis of love as long as the two or more people involved are all consenting and of age.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:40 pm
I heard on the radio that because Gay marriages are so looked down on is because the Churches would get sued if they didnt marry the gays or sued by the church goers for allowing it. A bunch of bull crap if you ask me... Those people are just stupid. They are bigots and dont want to admit it so they come up with this.

I think if it makes them happy then they should be able to marry. It's not much different then a Man and a Woman being together. I dont see why it would be a problem to just let them be happy!  

queennanami

7,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200

Necrophiliac Neon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 pm
Being gay i think its horrible people dont want homosexuals getting married. It doesn't affect them in any way shape or form. Plus this prop 102 thing going around saying gay marriage not ok is a real downer.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff