Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Death Penalty Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Unilover07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:16 pm
I used to be a staunch supporter of the death penalty, but recently I've learned a bit more about it and I'm not so sure. For the most part, the only ones on death row are the poor and minorities, simply because they don't have access to the same resources as the wealthier (who tend to get off). Also, we aren't sure exactly how humane the actual process is and no matter what the crime was, the prisoner deserves to die in a dignified manner--after all, they are still human. There are some I would consider exceptions to this, but for the most part...

Also, there is always the factor of innocence. Guilt can't always be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt and what of those that end up on the wrong end of somebody's mistake? Would you like that on your conscience?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:30 am
I would like to say that I believe it is wrong and inhumane.
What does this show us? That we are all capable of committing the crime that you say deserves this punishment?
I don't think that anybody should sink to the level of killing another human being, and if we can administer the punishment of death, that is exactly what we are doing, just as the criminal has.
I wrote a synthesis on this and there are statistics that show that the death penalty is also not a deterrant at all so that's not an excuse for having it.
Also, many serial killers are not of sane mind and they will be object to imprisonment for their whole lives, which is probably far worse than being given the death penalty.
It should not be part of law to be able give someone this punishment, as law is/should be about justice, not revenge.
So that's what I think (:  

Hitler C a k e

MindxHunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 pm
I do not agree with the Death Pentalty. True, some people are just insane (Some that aren't even capable of having empathy) we can't really blame that. I would personally perfer a punishment system that didn't cost us money (Say? Make them work? Back in the day criminals were slaves to pay for their crime). Not really going to get into that. Nobody deserves to be judged by mere mortals the right of life or death, and it shouldn't happen. Even it it does, no matter who that person is it is a tragic.

Even if a person was terrible, there was a mother that loved it.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:27 am
I'd rather put someone behind the bars for life for him to regret the crime he did than kill him because it is against God's will and that criminal won't be able to suffer and pay for his sins because you already ended his suffrage.
Whether you kill him or not, if he didn't change at all, he'll be in hell. But if you kill him, you too, will be in hell even it is stated in the law because that would definitely not be in God's rules.  

adrena_extermina

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:59 am
Maroon Surreal
I'd rather put someone behind the bars for life for him to regret the crime he did than kill him because it is against God's will and that criminal won't be able to suffer and pay for his sins because you already ended his suffrage.
Whether you kill him or not, if he didn't change at all, he'll be in hell. But if you kill him, you too, will be in hell even it is stated in the law because that would definitely not be in God's rules.

I was gonna type of a wall-o-text with objections on what you posted and decided not to. I'm just gonna let you know try not to incorporate your religious moralities in a conversation like this because not everyone shares the same religious views or religion and it's easy bait for religion trolls.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:07 pm
Zat In The Hat
Maroon Surreal

I was gonna type of a wall-o-text with objections on what you posted and decided not to. I'm just gonna let you know try not to incorporate your religious moralities in a conversation like this because not everyone shares the same religious views or religion and it's easy bait for religion trolls.

I also want you to know that discussing this topic involves religious moralities which are obviously relevant because we are discussing life here. The others might not agree with me because we don't have the same opinions regarding this topic and it's okay with me. I was just stating my opinion and they are, too.  

adrena_extermina

Ino_-_Yamanaka

Ruthless Fatcat

15,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:43 pm
There is always the possibility that the courts got the wrong man. Also, it is actually more expensive to execute someone, so I don't think people want to waste their tax dollars killing a few people.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:32 am
I support the death penalty for two reasons;

One: If you are willing enough to murder someone who is INNOCENT (emphasis there people), such as a child, a pregnant woman, an elderly person, or ever someone whose never done something to you ever before...then you deserve to face the same fear and knowledge that you are about to die.

Two: Prison doesn't cut it anymore. I know some people say they should 'rot in jail' for a lifetime, but there's a problem here people. Jail isn't what it used to be. All the humanitarian laws have made jail a lesser evil! Look at it from this perspective (with the exception of ONE place that I've heard of in the last fifteen years)...inmates at most penitentiaries get three square meals a day that are actually better quality and of higher health standards than our military men and women get. They get shower time, they have television privileges, internet privileges, phone privileges, and in some places...they get to have libraries. They may not be the best books ever, but still. It's basically a small community with a room for rent that WE, the tax payers, are paying for.

That is my stance. I understand that courts make mistakes. Sometimes people are charged with crimes falsely. I also understand that some get off when they are guilty. The fact is...we are all human. We make mistakes. I hope beyond all measure that we don't sentence the wrong person to death. If we do, I have at least a tiny measure of peace (mind you it's very tiny so don't misinterpret me here) that it will be lethal injection. It should be fairly quick and not too painful.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but this is my opinion. Simple.  

ImmortallyMortal

ThatPrincessCharm

Witty Informer

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:29 pm
I believe the death penalty is inhumane, morally speaking.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Evil is only what we as a society, create.

Take a look at Norway, who has the lowest prisoner return rate in Europe, even amongst murderers, rapists, and drug smugglers. They have this amazing concept of treating inmates like humans.

To sum it up nicely, Erin James' article in The Guardian gives you an idea of life at a prison in Norway.
Quote:
Cells had televisions, computers, integral showers and sanitation... they were offered education, training and skill-building programmes...the country had, at less than 30%, the lowest reoffending figures in Europe and less than half the rate in the UK.

Norway even has a 21 year maximum prison sentence, no life term prison sentences, and no death penalty.

Now look at the US prison system. The US has proven time and again that they view most anyone caught in the system as less than human; working for less then minimum wage, rape and assault by guards, negligence, treated like animals (and by this I mean instances of 'strip' searches), ect. Prisoner's who are released continue down a long harsh road, being discriminated against when looking for jobs, and having their right to vote taken away. They already find it difficult to merge back in with society after being isolated for so long, and all this on top of society shunning and judging them based on past actions. Americans love to preach about freedom and equality and second chances, but look at how they treat those at their lowest. The US is always so quick to write someone off if they don't directly benefit them. They're way of solving a problem is to just make it go away. They don't focus at all on curing this disease against humanity. Better to just repeatedly wipe the slate clean and start over.

READING MATERIAL:
One
Two
Three
Four (Pics)

We become a great society when we stop reducing to such barbaric means.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff