Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Metaphorical fences
  hurt more than expected.
View Results

Deppfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:58 pm
Curse-of-the-Phoenix
@ Cool and Depp: Thank you, now i can be a little less defensive. Now i have a question for you ((Since you asked me for "proof"))

the time line for Evolution doesn't make sense, there is no way to get even remotely billions or even millions of years, the technology either:

A. Doesn't exist

Or

B. cannot detect billions/millions of years because of the earths true age.

I would like those questions answered without me being able to find a way to disprove them.

How does the timeline not makes sense? Meh. Anyway..ok. Here goes... science has no exact true knowledge of the date of things. The best we can do so far, with the technology that exists to date, is to observe the current rate of decay and growth of current living things, then expand those numbers exponentially, based on other findings. Do you know about radiocarbon dating? It uses the known and repeatedly observed amount of time that it takes for a specific isotope of carbon to decay out of a once-living organism. The amount of time it takes for half of that material to decay is called a half-life. By calculating the amount of carbon 12 (the isotope I mentioned) left in fossils, you can use simple math to determine how many times it would have decayed by half, and thus the number of years ago the organism died. Now, sadly, radiocarbon dating will only work back so far, but there are other chemicals that can be dated back even further. Additionally, scientists quite often use tree rings to aide in the process. If a fossilized tree is found at a certain level of sedimentation that can be dated, then the rings are counted, which tells how many years it lived. From that, a the specific levels of chemicals associated with that year, along with distincitve damage indicators that are found on other trees of the same, and nearby sediment layers, can be compared, and used to establish dating. When these trees with specific indicators are found in different levels, with the rings that have the markers in different points in the tree's growth, it shows where the tree belongs in history. Eventually, it can be used to track time back far enough to date really really old things. But, of course, most of all of the dates science has come up with for things millions of years ago are mostly well-educated hypotheses, based on these rates of decay. We don't know for sure, and with the level technology is currently at, we can't. But, it's the same with religion. You can't know, 100% absolutely whether or not there is a heaven or hell, or anything else, until you die. You can believe with all of your heart, and hope you're right, but honestly, you don't KNOW.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:09 pm
Deppfan Teague
Curse-of-the-Phoenix
@ Cool and Depp: Thank you, now i can be a little less defensive. Now i have a question for you ((Since you asked me for "proof"))

the time line for Evolution doesn't make sense, there is no way to get even remotely billions or even millions of years, the technology either:

A. Doesn't exist

Or

I would like those questions answered without me being able to find a way to disprove them.

How does the timeline not makes sense? Meh. Anyway..ok. Here goes... science has no exact true knowledge of the date of things. The best we can do so far, with the technology that exists to date, is to observe the current rate of decay and growth of current living things, then expand those numbers exponentially, based on other findings. Do you know about radiocarbon dating? It uses the known and repeatedly observed amount of time that it takes for a specific isotope of carbon to decay out of a once-living organism. The amount of time it takes for half of that material to decay is called a half-life. By calculating the amount of carbon 12 (the isotope I mentioned) left in fossils, you can use simple math to determine how many times it would have decayed by half, and thus the number of years ago the organism died. Now, sadly, radiocarbon dating will only work back so far, but there are other chemicals that can be dated back even further. Additionally, scientists quite often use tree rings to aide in the process. If a fossilized tree is found at a certain level of sedimentation that can be dated, then the rings are counted, which tells how many years it lived. From that, a the specific levels of chemicals associated with that year, along with distincitve damage indicators that are found on other trees of the same, and nearby sediment layers, can be compared, and used to establish dating. When these trees with specific indicators are found in different levels, with the rings that have the markers in different points in the tree's growth, it shows where the tree belongs in history. Eventually, it can be used to track time back far enough to date really really old things. But, of course, most of all of the dates science has come up with for things millions of years ago are mostly well-educated hypotheses, based on these rates of decay. We don't know for sure, and with the level technology is currently at, we can't. But, it's the same with religion. You can't know, 100% absolutely whether or not there is a heaven or hell, or anything else, until you die. You can believe with all of your heart, and hope you're right, but honestly, you don't KNOW.

I see your point there, but the worlds oldest trees are roughly 3,000 years old, which is the estimated end of the Biblical worldwide flood, that indicates a biblical time line, now this could be a coincidence, which i may guess is your response, but another throw off for that is Comets, they cannot reform, yet we still see them out in the sky. We also still have Blue Stars, and we know for a fact that stars cannot form, they get into a very tight ball of gas and they start rotating but they just disperse into a Nova or a White dwarf and then that dwarf star goes pretty soon as well, and there is no star that forms in that place.

Now i want to clear a few things up here i Believe Darwin Destroyed the idea of immutability species, but every great scientist is wrong at some point in their career.  

The_Cursed_Phoenix

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 pm
Deppfan Teague

Please, don't pray for me. You're just wasting your time.

And yes, I fear death. Because I know there is nothing else after this life.

Hmm maybe I will go join Satan. He seems a lot more fun and forgiving than this ******** up God of yours.

I know you and Curse have already had this conversation but I would like to say what I tell you is not a conversion tactic in any means, rather it is fixing misconceptions you seem to have about Christianity.

First off you shouldn't be so offensive towards one praying for you, you should be happy that one cares for you in such a way = ) its a form of compliment not that of putting someone down. They are willing to take time out of their day, in hopes to make yours better if you will.

Exactly what one means when we say life is pointless. Everything you do will be for not, every pain will not increase one measure of your existence. Why go through the pain to begin with pray tell? Will there be any gain from it? Anything that does not last, has no purpose, no meaning.

Satan's whole goal is to destroy us, to send us to the same place he must be tortured, he hates us, despises us. And God, His whole being is nothing but forgiveness, that we do not deserve. I no I do not...He forgives of everything if on His son you believe. "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed" Isaiah 53:5
"But God commendeth his love towards us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:17 and lastly "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." 1John 4:10 The whole being of God is not that of unforgiveness, it is truly of forgiveness. Hosea tells us, " in the place where it was said unto t hem, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God." Hosea 1:10 And I can pull out so many more talking about the forgiveness of God, his whole being spells out love and forgiveness. Just please don't forget that this is not an attempt to convert you, rather it is one to try and cover up certain misconceptions. P.S. you seem like a very good person = ).  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:01 pm
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague

Hmm maybe I will go join Satan. He seems a lot more fun and forgiving than this ******** up God of yours.

I know you and Curse have already had this conversation but I would like to say what I tell you is not a conversion tactic in any means, rather it is fixing misconceptions you seem to have about Christianity.

First off you shouldn't be so offensive towards one praying for you, you should be happy that one cares for you in such a way = ) its a form of compliment not that of putting someone down. They are willing to take time out of their day, in hopes to make yours better if you will.

Exactly what one means when we say life is pointless. Everything you do will be for not, every pain will not increase one measure of your existence. Why go through the pain to begin with pray tell? Will there be any gain from it? Anything that does not last, has no purpose, no meaning.

Satan's whole goal is to destroy us, to send us to the same place he must be tortured, he hates us, despises us. And God, His whole being is nothing but forgiveness, that we do not deserve. I no I do not...He forgives of everything if on His son you believe. "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed" Isaiah 53:5
"But God commendeth his love towards us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:17 and lastly "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." 1John 4:10 The whole being of God is not that of unforgiveness, it is truly of forgiveness. Hosea tells us, " in the place where it was said unto t hem, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God." Hosea 1:10 And I can pull out so many more talking about the forgiveness of God, his whole being spells out love and forgiveness. Just please don't forget that this is not an attempt to convert you, rather it is one to try and cover up certain misconceptions. P.S. you seem like a very good person = ).

It's one thing for people to say they will keep me in their thoughts, and another altogether to say they will pray for me. And I didn't bother to read the quoted scripture. To me, it's nonsense ramblings that have no basis in fact. Sorry if I offend.  

Deppfan

Deppfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:09 pm
Curse-of-the-Phoenix
Deppfan Teague
Curse-of-the-Phoenix

A. Doesn't exist

Or

I see your point there, but the worlds oldest trees are roughly 3,000 years old, which is the estimated end of the Biblical worldwide flood, that indicates a biblical time line, now this could be a coincidence, which i may guess is your response, but another throw off for that is Comets, they cannot reform, yet we still see them out in the sky. We also still have Blue Stars, and we know for a fact that stars cannot form, they get into a very tight ball of gas and they start rotating but they just disperse into a Nova or a White dwarf and then that dwarf star goes pretty soon as well, and there is no star that forms in that place.

Now i want to clear a few things up here i Believe Darwin Destroyed the idea of immutability species, but every great scientist is wrong at some point in their career.

I'm sure you mean the world's oldest living trees. And as far as the great flood, there is evidence that there was actually a large flood that occured in the Mediterranian thounsands of years ago, and was recorded in many cultures at the same time. Doesn't necessarily mean there's any religious tie at all.

I really don't know what you're trying to say with the stuff about the comets and blue stars. But, I'll try to give a response. Comets are formed from super-compacted ice, and since there is no air in space, there is no heat to melt the ice. Also, they are so HUGE that it takes thousands of years for them to disentegrate. And since we have only recorded the occurance of them and been able to see what they really are for a relatively short amount of time, we don't know how many have formed and disentegrated over time.

Stars cannot form? Then where did they come from? Stars are gas compacted by the pull of gravity. They burn until they run out of energy, then die out. I don't know what point you were making with what you said, because it just trailed off.

Also, I have never heard of this "immutability species" you mentioned. And of course great scientists are wrong. That is the wonderful thing about science... even if you're wrong, you make wonderful discoveries that can be further researched and defined by subsequent scientists.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague

It's one thing for people to say they will keep me in their thoughts, and another altogether to say they will pray for me. And I didn't bother to read the quoted scripture. To me, it's nonsense ramblings that have no basis in fact. Sorry if I offend.

So is evolution to me, yet I still study it. Its very important to know what your talking about, or you might just find yourself rambling on about something you don't know anything about. Its also one thing to attack Christianity when you refuse to realize what its all about, and the exact basis behind it.

Edit: And if you refuse to hear what God says, then how can you have any opinion on Him? If you refuse to read what it says, you can't really say that our God is F***** up and unforgiving. And if you do, then there is no actual ground for such a statement to stand, it falls. I can no longer actually look at you as an equal in any debate including the Bible.  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deppfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:48 pm
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague

So is evolution to me, yet I still study it. Its very important to know what your talking about, or you might just find yourself rambling on about something you don't know anything about. Its also one thing to attack Christianity when you refuse to realize what its all about, and the exact basis behind it.

Edit: And if you refuse to hear what God says, then how can you have any opinion on Him? If you refuse to read what it says, you can't really say that our God is F***** up and unforgiving. And if you do, then there is no actual ground for such a statement to stand, it falls. I can no longer actually look at you as an equal in any debate including the Bible.

Wow, you know what??? I'm NOT an equal when it comes to talking about the bible. I never read further than a few pages in. Why? It was contradictory and made no sense. All I know is, from what I have heard that is written in the bible, I want nothing to do with it.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:08 am
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague

Wow, you know what??? I'm NOT an equal when it comes to talking about the bible. I never read further than a few pages in. Why? It was contradictory and made no sense. All I know is, from what I have heard that is written in the bible, I want nothing to do with it.

Maybe that's because you've only read a few pages into it, that's why you thought it made no sense, and i doubt you've even read a few pages into it, because its not contradictory, i don't know what your talking about there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not mean living trees i mean oldest tree specimen is only 3000 years old, i am becoming tired with this argument that my God has no evidence, when you fail to produce any evidence as of yet, well fine I'm sick of being defensive and waiting for you to make your move i,ll strik first this time

If the bible is false so are all the predictions that Tyre would fall.

Amos 1:9-10

This is what the Lord says: "For three sins of Tyre, even for four, I will not turn back [my wrath]. Because she sold whole communities of captives to Edom, disregarding a treaty of brotherhood, I will send fire upon the walls of Tyre that will consume her fortresses."

That prophesy was written in 750 BC to be fulfilled many generations later.

Ezekiel 26:3
herefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against you, O Tyre, and I will bring many nations against you, like the sea casting up its waves.

This came true with Babylon, and Alexander the Great

[quote"Ezekiel 26:12"]They will plunder your wealth and loot your merchandise; they will break down your walls and demolish your fine houses and throw your stones, timber and rubble into the sea.

This one was fulfilled when Alexander the Great cast out their homes into the sea because he didn't have a navy to attack Tyre's Island fortress, why does this help, it made a "Land Bridge" which is there to this day, which he walked upon to bring down Tyre

Ezekiel 26:14
I will make you a bare rock, and you will become a place to spread fishnets. You will never be rebuilt, for I the Lord have spoken, declares the Sovereign Lord.

Tyre today is a sitting heap of rubble, the Land bridge which i told you about is still there, but Tyre is not, how can this be, if we have different historical records besides the bible of Tyre falling BY MANY NATIONS, and other historical records besides the bible of this LAND BRIDGE, this prophesy was written in about 5-600 BC, [sarcasm]Sorry BCE[/sarcasm], and was fulfilled in roughly 300 BC by Alexander the Great who dealt the finishing blow, and today it is "A place for fishermen to spread their nets" to dry it is a common place where fishermen stop by now to take a rest, it is now just a common place for them to stop by on their routes.  

The_Cursed_Phoenix

Deppfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:13 am
I want to know where you got the supposed fact that the oldest tree specimen is only 3000 years old. I have taken several anthropology classes, and it was my major for a while in college. All the scientific data shows that Native Americans came over from Asia roughly 12000 years ago, and there is plantlife in the archaeological record from that time.

Now, on to those prophecies. There are no dates within the actual prophecies. So yes, they came true. It would be like me saying, "At some point in the future, California is going to have a major earthquake, split along the San Andreas fault, and fall into the ocean." And what do you know, thousands of years later, it actually happens. Does that mean God spoke through me, or to me, or I was inspired? No. It just means I was paying attention to what has been happening in the world, and made a prediction. So, the people who wrote these noticed that great cities always fall at some point, and predicted that these would too.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am
You still don't get it, there are several prophesy's just like this one, and how can you say that God didn't speak through this man EVERY FLIPPING DETIAL IS CORRECT!  

The_Cursed_Phoenix

Deppfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 pm
Curse-of-the-Phoenix
You still don't get it, there are several prophesy's just like this one, and how can you say that God didn't speak through this man EVERY FLIPPING DETIAL IS CORRECT!

Simple. I. DON'T. BELIEVE. IN. GOD.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:11 pm
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague

Everything you say about the Bible I can't take seriously, so when you say it is contradictory, how can I take it seriously, if you refuse to actually look at it? You can rarely make sense of any story when you have only read a page or two, it takes more than that to understand it, heck some of those 'contradictions' might have just been unexplained accurences that are explained later.

Also you only take things by hearsay? That is not something you do if you are searching for truth, you have to look into it yourself, or you will never actually understand. But enough of this, I know very well you won't listen to a single word about this from me.

You seem to enjoy evolution though, it used to be one of my favorite subjects,(well Intelligent Design vs. Evolution) until it became a bore to me, though genetics I still love!
Now quick question, would you say that evolution can succeed and fail?  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deppfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:31 pm
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague

Everything you say about the Bible I can't take seriously, so when you say it is contradictory, how can I take it seriously, if you refuse to actually look at it? You can rarely make sense of any story when you have only read a page or two, it takes more than that to understand it, heck some of those 'contradictions' might have just been unexplained accurences that are explained later.

Also you only take things by hearsay? That is not something you do if you are searching for truth, you have to look into it yourself, or you will never actually understand. But enough of this, I know very well you won't listen to a single word about this from me.

You seem to enjoy evolution though, it used to be one of my favorite subjects,(well Intelligent Design vs. Evolution) until it became a bore to me, though genetics I still love!

I will give you one contradiction as an example. It says that God created man and woman together, and then a few passages later, it says that Adam was created first, then needed a mate, so Eve was created from his rib. How could we have been created, then created again? Did God screw up and have to start over? Is it a remnant of the original story of Lillith (still inlcuded in the Hebrew bible)?

To answer your question, I do not believe that Evolution can succeed and fail, because it has no end goal. Evolution is just change over time.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:34 pm
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague

I will give you one contradiction as an example. It says that God created man and woman together, and then a few passages later, it says that Adam was created first, then needed a mate, so Eve was created from his rib. How could we have been created, then created again? Did God screw up and have to start over? Is it a remnant of the original story of Lillith (still inlcuded in the Hebrew bible)?

To answer your question, I do not believe that Evolution can succeed and fail, because it has no end goal. Evolution is just change over time.

Quote:
27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

I believe you are talking about this verse + the verses talking about God using the rib of Adam to make woman. Realize this that, when Genesis 1:17 is talking, it is merely explaining the creation of well...creation, not the same as later on when it is explaining what happened during/after. It is confusing at times, but thats because this is not English literature per-say, but Hebrew. Its like me saying "I wrote 2 poems", then saying "but I wrote this one first than this one second" there isn't really any contradiction at all, it just appears at first glance to be a contradiction.

Now I'm glad you answered it that way, because I've heard way to often people saying it failed here or there. Now another question, How did we get here?  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deppfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:01 pm
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334

Quote:
27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

I believe you are talking about this verse + the verses talking about God using the rib of Adam to make woman. Realize this that, when Genesis 1:17 is talking, it is merely explaining the creation of well...creation, not the same as later on when it is explaining what happened during/after. It is confusing at times, but thats because this is not English literature per-say, but Hebrew. Its like me saying "I wrote 2 poems", then saying "but I wrote this one first than this one second" there isn't really any contradiction at all, it just appears at first glance to be a contradiction.

Now I'm glad you answered it that way, because I've heard way to often people saying it failed here or there. Now another question, How did we get here?

Through a long series of random chances and adaptations due to environmental pressures, chemicals formed into life, which diverged into many different forms. As far as humans specifically, we evolved from a creature that was also a ancestor of modern apes. It bothers me when people say we came from apes. We actually didn't.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff