Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Abortion, birth control (pill/shot), abstinence or adoption? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is the best/most realistic solution to teen pregnancy?
  abortion
  abstinence
  birth control
  adoption
View Results

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:49 pm
I'm still 100% PRO LIFE!  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:52 pm
I do think adoption is a good choice but I feel that raising the kid on your own would be better. It must be hard to give any child away. That person is giving up a connection they will never be able to get back, assuming it's a closed adoption. It may be hard to raise a child when you're young but I think it would be well worth it in the end.

I agree completely with you on birth control well wisher. Even if you have some form reproductive birth control it's no excuse to not use a condom. After all birth control does not prevent STD's.

The way I see it is that abstinence is the only thing discussed to teenagers about sex if anything at all about sex is taught.

{I know this is a little off topic but I want to thank people for not being ignorant and saying things like, "You stupid for thinking this or that."}  

Divine-Beauti

applesauce600

9,150 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 pm
I'm against birth control pills because of the research that suggest it makes women less fertile even after they stop taking it.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:57 pm
applesauce600
I'm against birth control pills because of the research that suggest it makes women less fertile even after they stop taking it.

Well, it's also been proven that the older a woman is, the less likely she'll be able to have children. I saw a report on this on the news one night.  

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100

-Vagtastic-
Crew

Familiar Lover

10,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 pm
So do you believe that adoption is a bad thing even though you can't provide for it? You keep talking about how you think that its better to keep the child because their losing a connection with them for possibly forever. But what about the people who are doing it for the child's best interest. If you can't provide for the baby then why bother letting it suffer by keeping it?

No matter what happens its still no ones elses fault but the teens who make the decision to have sex. It doesn't matter how many times they're taught sex ed or how many times their parents sit down to talk with them about sex. Kids are going to do what they want to do unless you lock them in their rooms until they turn 21. You can't blame anyone else.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:02 pm
Divine-Beauti
I do think adoption is a good choice but I feel that raising the kid on your own would be better. It must be hard to give any child away. That person is giving up a connection they will never be able to get back, assuming it's a closed adoption. It may be hard to raise a child when you're young but I think it would be well worth it in the end.

Oh absolutely, There can't be much more satisfying for a parent to watch their child grow up and see their own features begin to develop in the child's features. Watch their child go to school, succeed at things, helping them through hardships. And it would be very difficult for a mother to think about all that and then decide that she couldn't give her child what she wants her child to have.
It is all really down to the mother though, the choice to be protected or not. (in most cases, some men are quite forceful, and some women can be rather dumb) And then it's down to the mother to get it aborted if she chooses. And if not, it's also down to the mother if she wants to try to raise her child, or offer her own child, which she nurtured for nine months, to some strangers that might be able to take better care of the baby. It's a very important decision, and will most likely follow her throughout her life no matter which decision she chooses.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

applesauce600

9,150 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:03 pm
Princess Zelda21
applesauce600

Well, it's also been proven that the older a woman is, the less likely she'll be able to have children. I saw a report on this on the news one night.
Then I'm also against aging?  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:05 pm
Princess Zelda21
applesauce600

True, age is a factor. Don't forget though, the older a man gets the more likely there are birth defects as well. (you know how DNA divides right? well, there are always a few lost bits of code when it's dividing, and cells are formed from older cells dividing, so, the older we get, the more damaged and incomplete our DNA is.)  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

Jackalope2
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 pm
I would like to remind everyone in this discussion that, as a mature topic, that you show equal maturity in talking about it. The first thing people must realize is that opinions MUST be based on facts. One cannot state an opinion without stating at least something that supports it and is concrete otherwise it comes up as baseless conjecture.

My own views boil down to people being educated and knowing what they are getting into. A choice such as having sex has consequences. The media makes so many things sexual that people too young are exposed to things they shouldn't even have to worry about until they can fully consider what sex really is. Sex education doesn't start until high school and by then years of sex messages have gotten through and influenced teens to various degrees. When this sex education comes into play teens are well into puberty and quite often scoff at the education because they don't want to be told "This is how it is." The most basic message from education is "Don't do it until you're ready, for EVERYTHING you can be," which is pretty well short for abstinence and it's pretty damn effective. I just go with "Make sure you're prepared," and that runs the range from abstinence to birth control in its many forms.

In the cases where a woman can't be prepared, such as being raped, then preparation goes out the window. Ideally there wouldn't be rape whatsoever, but we don't live in an ideal world. Likewise, some measures to cope with this world are also not ideal. Abortion is a very heavy thing to think about and should be left to the woman. It is not up ANYONE else to make the choice, because it is hers and hers alone save for her partner for those accidental pregnancies (that could be prevented through good education.)

Adoption is sometimes giving up responsibility, but that responsibility comes with more than just a burden. Some people can't have children and adoption can bring them the joy of having a family. It is a way of making something good come from any kind of pregnancy.

To all aspiring mothers out there, do what you can do be ready. There's no way to truly be ready for certain things of course, but at least you can be comfortable knowing you can weather whatever life may throw at you. Know in your mind that you are strong because having and raising a child is arguably the biggest act of strength mankind will ever know.

To all men, be responsible. Know that you have the potential to bring about another life and all another person can do. Doesn't that thought want to make you give your all? If you can and want to give life then anything short of giving your best means you've let your humanity down. Know what you need to know to stand strong and give your all beside your partner.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 pm
Princess Zelda21
Well, think about it, abortion is still considered killing an unborn human being though! It's just so wrong!
User Image

Having the kid live unwanted is an even worse fate. The world is already overpopulated with children born from rape and in foster care, and not enough people adopt these children.

As for being the most realistic solution for teen pregnancy, I vote for birth control.
User Image  

m4r1p0s4

Eco-friendly Sex Symbol

10,750 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Candy Fiend 150

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 pm
I'm...going to keep my opinion to myself.

Yeah. That just might be for the best.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:10 pm
I had sex education class in 7th grade. Pretty much every year after that too.

-Vagtastic-
Crew

Familiar Lover

10,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:11 pm
xX Celeste Foxx Xx
Princess Zelda21
Well, think about it, abortion is still considered killing an unborn human being though! It's just so wrong!
User Image

Having the kid live unwanted is an even worse fate. The world is already overpopulated with children born from rape and in foster care, and not enough people adopt these children.

As for being the most realistic solution for teen pregnancy, I vote for birth control.
User Image

Not me, I voted for abstinence, but unless a girl doesn't want children, then of course they can choose birth control.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:12 pm
-Vagtastic-
I had sex education class in 7th grade. Pretty much every year after that too.

You're one of the few who had a good starting point. ^^  

Jackalope2
Crew

m4r1p0s4

Eco-friendly Sex Symbol

10,750 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:15 pm
Ame no Tenshi
I'm...going to keep my opinion to myself.

Yeah. That just might be for the best.

Carry on.
User Image

... then why bother posting?

@Nannerz: is there a particular reason as to why your font size is so teeny?
User Image  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces