Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Moral Objection = WTF. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who deserves special rights more?
  Pharmacists & doctors who want the right to refuse to perform tasks that collide with their morals.
  Gay men & lesbian women who want the right to adopt children and get married and the rights associated with marriage.
View Results

tinkys85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:00 am
SlaveToKarma
Martian Princess
SlaveToKarma
Okay... uh... sorry if I offend anyone. sweatdrop

Personally, I believe this is a mute point. It doesn't really need attentive care. DOctors are forced by law and their oath to do all that is nessesery to preserve or prolong life. Anything else is not an emergency and is not their priority. Abortions and morning after pills are not an emergency. And since they are not an emergency, if one doctor denies it, you are alloud to find another doctor and get their opinion. If you go to court saying how you were denied by this doctor for an abortion, the Judge will tell you to get a second opinion.

Yes this is true. Both my parents have both worked in a medical field for over 20 years. They have explained this to me. 3nodding

My mother has also worked in the medical field for over 20 years, and I strongly disagree. The morning after pill does count as an emergency. The longer you wait to take it, the less effective it becomes, and if you miss the window of opportunity you will likely be pregnant and you face the prospect of an unwanted child or a much more expensive abortion.

Also, not everyone lives in a city where the option to go to another doctor or pharmacy exists. Honest.

Besides, many of the drugs that pharmacists deny women are not just used for birth control, they can be used to control excessively heavy periods and other more serious conditions relating to the menstrual cycle.

On another note: What if a so called "scientologist" became a pharmacist and then proceeded to deny people their anti-depression and anti-psychotic medicine because they believed these things were "wrong," and that the only "correct" way to help someone with a mental illness is through vitamins and exercise? Do you think we would be quite as sympathetic to them when they were fired?
morning pill is not an emergency! It is NOT life threatening! And it's the womans fault for deciding to have sex the night before. (Don't even mention rape victims. WHen a woman is raped hormones that are needed to get pregnant are shut down.)Whatever happened to waiting for marrage?ANd how can you say "unwanted child"? You are so sick for muttering those words. And the abortion, it's the mothers fault for not planning. SO they should get a job and find shelter, and learn to take resposibility. And why WOULD a scientologist want to become a pharmacist when they stand for everything they are against. (Which is giving out medicine) Why anyone would want to destroy the life of a child is beyond me.

uh id like to see some evidance on that#1 many women get pregnant from rape #2 i am married and though my husband and i use birth contrlo i have been preganant and i have 2 beutiaful children i also have cancer in my uteris and have been tolsd by my doctor that if i become pregnant i will only lose the child, sadly i thought maybe the doc was wrong, and i have lost a child, so is it right for say a person in my situation to not be able to get the morning after pill and having to know that i may have i child that is growing inside of me and i will have to deal with the fact it is going to die no matter what i do, is that really fair, as far as the gay and lezbian thing actully it might not be special treatment , i've met homosexual men who could not get aroused by a women how could they consive a child with a women  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:00 pm
its stupid really they have the job to help people not to deny them stuff  

idiotic randomness

Bari Sax Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:08 pm
I always though it was against the law for doctors to refuse help to anyone... and thats just dumb anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:57 pm
Bari Sax Man
I always though it was against the law for doctors to refuse help to anyone... and thats just dumb anyway.

only emergency room doctors in most cases. they can refuse to treat non-life-threatening or non-emergency conditions.  

J-E-O-C

imbellis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:40 am
in my opinion, when someone enters a gay relationship they chose not to have children. its as simple as that. men arent meant to have children together hence why men do not have wombs. its a no brainer really.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:49 pm
Well, simply because someone is sexually attracted to members of the same gender doensn't mean they don't want children. That's like saying a man who chooses to be with a woman who is infertile doesn't want kids. There are many options out there, such as adoption or surrogate parenthood.

Men may not be able to BEAR children, but they are still half of the equation to MAKE them.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

dianersj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:49 am
There is always an option instead of making them, to adopt them. A loving couple is always a good thing when adopting i see no issue in that.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:17 pm
This is the way this country works:

If a person is a private practitioner they may reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason they please. This possibly means for racial reasons, or for a moral objection. People are usually made into targets if it is for racial resons, but they still may.

If they are part of a larger company then thay can risk their jobs by refusing "treatment" or, more appropriately, they should follow company pollicy. If the company says you don't have to prescribe birth control if you don't want to, then your only obligation is to inform the people immediately that you won't, and that they will need to see someone else for it.  

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

Martian Princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:54 pm
imbellis
in my opinion, when someone enters a gay relationship they chose not to have children. its as simple as that. men arent meant to have children together hence why men do not have wombs. its a no brainer really.

Creating children is an entirely different proposition than caring for them, which men are absolutely qualified to do.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:58 am
half the cab drivers in Minneapolis are Somali Muslims.

they refuse to carry anyone to or from the airport who is carrying alcohol, during Ramadan (right now).

ok, good for them, they are willing to lose business for principle's sake.

but from what i see of Somalia it is an eviul place full of incessant bloodshed, despite the Moslem influence. so maybe they need more political priorities, maybe they need to take the anti-alcohol energy and apply it to working for peace.

the same goes for those who refuse to sell condoms or birth control or whatever.

let them take their moiral energy and work at caring for iunwanted children and placing them for adoption.  

chessiejo

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:23 am
Wow, okay, let's be a little careful with our language, shall we? Calling Somalia and "evil" place is not only unnecessary, but impolite, inaccurate, and offensive.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:36 pm
I can understand frustration. However, try thinking of this from another point of view.

A patient is told that they need a blood transfusion or a certain form of surgery. The patient however, does not want the surgery on account of his or her beliefs.

If the doctor were to go ahead and go against the patients wishes, it would be a denying of his or her rights. Could it not be the same for a doctor who has issues against certain things?

I apppologize if I sound like I am trying to justify anything, that is not my intent. I am merely turning the tables so as to project a different point of view.

Keiji Death Kiss

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:11 pm
I see what you're getting at, and I applaud you for doing it in a tactful manner.

Like doctors having the right to refuse service, patients have the right to refuse treatment. The only exception, of course, is if the patient is in critical condition and their views on treatment are unknown. If you bring a person on the brink of death to a hospital, they will be treated until they are better or until they die.

The difference is that by taking their oath and choosing their profession, doctorsare assumed to be of the belief of helping whomever needs their help. In fact, unless they explicitly announce with a sign or when they see the patient that they will not (note not "can") treat certain conditions, patients have every right to assume otherwise. In fact, probably the reason doctors don't put this into practice is akin to shop owners not posting signs saying "We will not serve people of color," regardless of their beliefs, because it will lose them business and generate ire from those whom it affects. Most shops DO have, however, signs stating that the reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, generally done for the safety of their patrons and their staff.

Doctors, hospitals, and generally most pharmaceuticals, however, do not have this sign. This makes it both unethical and unfair to patients expecting to get treatment from them. Even with said sign, it is still generally expected that most will not employ it, as per the Hippocratic Oath.

Quote:
I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

Now, like with all things, many parts of it are open to interpretation. However, it would be much more fair for patients and much more ethical to state up front exactly how certain parts of the oath are to be interpreted by the medical professional. If one says that they will try to save the patients life by any means necessary, they should say so.

There is a great deal of grey area in the matter that could best be cleared up by the professionals themselves before hand, and on an individual basis.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:57 pm
Patients have more rights that doctors!! They deserve them!! Also, you don't get condemned to hell for performing or recieving an abortion. It's only if you don't believe in Jesus. I hate it when people say that stuff. Even if you're a good person, if you don't accept Jesus you go to Hell.
I'm glad my religion doesn't have a hell. Or a "devil" (which means 'little god', actually.))

On another note, these doctors know the job description, and they have to fufill those duties or get fired.  

Evil Karma Angel

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces