Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What is “Love”? ...Yes I’m being serious.. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poll
View Results

ken451

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:51 am
Shearis
“What is love..?”

There are so many different kinds of love--
False love, a crush, brotherly love, puppy love, teenage love, romantic love, true love, etc.

Is love not just simply an emotion..
Like all emotions we can’t control it. And it changes constantly, some more then others.
So how can anyone say they are truly in love?
How does one prove that what they are feeling is real and not a product of hormones and such..?
Is that all love is, hormones?
What if your “true love” has another “true love” and it’s not you, then is he/she still your “true love”?

Sure there are things in a person's personalities that make others attracted to them but same goes for how we make friends.
Personality and looks play a roll in both love and friendship.
So really Friendship and Love are not much different..

Well those are my thoughts..
Now I would like to know what you think..

Love is a calculated feelling of nerons & heat very simple really. emo  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:11 am
Shearis
ames-chan
i believe in love and i believe there is love. you might know it when you find it....really there is no way to tell if you are in love. if once you thought you were in love and then later it turned out not as expected....maybe you did love the person but then later do not. love can be an everchanging feeling but it can also change for the better
So if love is ever changing then does that mean there is no such thing as true love.
My question remains- “What is love?”
If love is out there; which apparently it is or people would clam to be in love, what causes it.
Hormones, feelings, or is it something else completely?

oh sorry i wasnt completely clear on what the question was i guess and im sorry i dont know what causes love, it could be a mixture of all of those things but what i can say is that i dont think love can be categorized that easily *shrug*  

angelafatinski

BandofDans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:28 pm
Love is a devourer of such substances as time, money and effort, producing steady amounts of pain, stress, and suffering. But is it worth it? Yes. Further proof that the human race is massochistic.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:19 am
to me love is a feeling

is a undescrible feeling

and you know is there, but like I said there's no word to describe

love  

omega_master_star

Chirish63

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:28 pm
Love is strange when u have it u don't want it when u want it u never have it. Guys are like stars only one can make ur dreams come true but he could be anywhere. Love to me is just another feeling that we create to feel really happy or really sad. All i m saying really is love is something we create with our minds not our hearts we think we have feelings for a certain person but wat if those feelings are just here to make us not feel lonely or scared.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:29 am
He'll always be my

I agree with you partially.
There are so many kinds of love
and you can't control it.

I also believe in the saying "If you love someone set them free."
To truely be in love is to be willing to do anything to make the person happy.
Even if being happy means they'll be with someone other than yourself.
Even if them being happy means you letting go (and maybe being sad.)
It's being willing to sacrifice yourself and everything you have for them.

And I belive you don't truely understand love until you've felt it
and when you are in love you know it but can't describe it.

(I don't really think I've been in love.)

Love has a different meaning to everyone,
so this is just my view.

S u p e r h e r o <3

Sarallelogram

Sadie Skittles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:13 pm
Love is a many splendored thing! All you need is love!

Love is hard to describe, but most people think they know when they are in love. IF love was the same for everyone then we could all probably be happy with any person that came along, but people feel emotions so differently that love has to be different for everyone. I don't think I could tell you what it is I am looking for out of love, but I'll know it when I find it.

I'm not sure I agree that love is being willing to sacrifice anything for that person. I don't think love means that you have to sacrifice your happiness for the other persons happiness. No one in love should have to sacrifice themselves for that love. I don't believe love is that selfish or that self-depricating. I do believe that sacrifice is a part of love, though. My first love had to leave me for his career and I let him go, because I loved him and I knew that was what would be best for him, even though losing him hurt me deeply. In the same vein, though, I knew he was doing the same for me, but not asking me to give up my career goals for him. That I think is a part of love, but not just selflessly giving up your happiness for anothers. That isn't love.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:12 pm
Usually, "love" is used as a term for adoration. However, whenever I talk about a relationship with someone (mainly a boyfriend or future spouse or what have you) and am not abusing the word (giving it simply the "adoration" definition), I consider love to mainly be about persistance and forgiveness. Forgiving your partner so then you're able to continue on with the relationship. Persisting in the relationship and not going to search for someone else to be attracted to.

I mean, that's what I think "real love" is. There's only one type of love, we just associate it with a bunch of other words. The English language is highly limited in a sense because other languages (not sure which ones, probably a lot) have different words for the different meanings of "love". Americans/English speakers just have a tendency to overuse the word.

myopiactic

iola nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:04 pm
Love should be hard for you to describe in words, otherwise it's not real.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:47 pm
hmmm, you guys seemed to have alot of ideas about love. but if you read carefully, you would find that there are some common points that repeated itself quite a few times. [I won't delve much into what you guys said though] Here's what i think.

What is love...

Love is a metaphysical bond in which your desire is for the other and to strengthen this bond. Where the opposite is Lust where your desire is of the other and for yourself.

Perfect love is without a taint of lust and perfect lust has no love. They may be similar in the way they are but there is a critical difference.

Love is a metaphyiscal bond... it is not physical cause you can't physically touch an object that is "love". Instead, you can feel it and see actions that are derived from love. It is a bond not because it is a chain but because it is a relation, a connection. And this connection has several qualities or traits that we can/have already observed.

This bond is not a locked no-deviation thing but instead you can have "levels of love" so to speak. You can have a bond ranging from strong to weak. If there are never any difference in the strength of this bond, boy girl friends will not need to show to their lovers how much they love them.

When you love, you want what is good for the other. And depending on how much you love the other, you may even be willing to sacrifice for them. [I'd say it probably is the matter of loving yourself more or loving the other more] I think that "There is no greater love than to be willing to sacrifice your own life for the one you love"....unless you don't truely understand the value of life and carelessly threw it away which I don't think can be classified as sacrifice.

As well, emotions can be stemed from love. Those that have loved would probably have experienced happyness, joys, comfort and warmth but at the same time that love can also cause sadness, anger, fustration or even pain. Though love can cause emotion, love by itself is not an emotion.

And very importantly, when you love, you want that love to be reciprocated. You want to be loved back in return. There is great joy when love is reciprocated and there is great pain and sadness when it is rejected. The strength of these emotions, of course, depends firstly on how much you love the other to begin with.

The actions that stems from love.... I'd say that's another whole discussion/lecture all by itself.

Love has a focus on the other.
Lust has a focus on self.

So then...by the above definitions...are there such a thing as perfect eternal love? If there is, then "would you want it?"  

souloe

Xarrel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:57 pm
I guess love is kind of like really really really good friendship...
Personaly I think I might be in love at the moment.
I feel as though I can't live without said person and they seem perfect, flawless, in every way. I'm not sure if it's true love but it sure feels like it is. I guess love is the closest you can ever get to a person, beyond just friends, even beyond family...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:52 pm
souloe
Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:47 pm

hmmm, you guys seemed to have alot of ideas about love. but if you read carefully, you would find that there are some common points that repeated itself quite a few times. [I won't delve much into what you guys said though] Here's what i think.

What is love...

Love is a metaphysical bond in which your desire is for the other and to strengthen this bond. Where the opposite is Lust where your desire is of the other and for yourself.

Perfect love is without a taint of lust and perfect lust has no love. They may be similar in the way they are but there is a critical difference.

Love is a metaphyiscal bond... it is not physical cause you can't physically touch an object that is "love". Instead, you can feel it and see actions that are derived from love. It is a bond not because it is a chain but because it is a relation, a connection. And this connection has several qualities or traits that we can/have already observed.

This bond is not a locked no-deviation thing but instead you can have "levels of love" so to speak. You can have a bond ranging from strong to weak. If there are never any difference in the strength of this bond, boy girl friends will not need to show to their lovers how much they love them.

When you love, you want what is good for the other. And depending on how much you love the other, you may even be willing to sacrifice for them. [I'd say it probably is the matter of loving yourself more or loving the other more] I think that "There is no greater love than to be willing to sacrifice your own life for the one you love"....unless you don't truely understand the value of life and carelessly threw it away which I don't think can be classified as sacrifice.

As well, emotions can be stemed from love. Those that have loved would probably have experienced happyness, joys, comfort and warmth but at the same time that love can also cause sadness, anger, fustration or even pain. Though love can cause emotion, love by itself is not an emotion.

And very importantly, when you love, you want that love to be reciprocated. You want to be loved back in return. There is great joy when love is reciprocated and there is great pain and sadness when it is rejected. The strength of these emotions, of course, depends firstly on how much you love the other to begin with.

The actions that stems from love.... I'd say that's another whole discussion/lecture all by itself.

Love has a focus on the other.
Lust has a focus on self.

So then...by the above definitions...are there such a thing as perfect eternal love? If there is, then "would you want it?"

In my experiences nothing is perfect. So therefore, there is no perfect enternal love. As much as this is a very touchy subject for me, I am completely in love with a person and will do anything for him. Knowing that he is only wanting a friendship, I step aside and be his friend. The love I have for him is so strong that I can actually bite my tongue just to have him around at least for a friend. I can't go against his wishes. Thats when rejection sets in~ouch.

addleimagination

souloe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:19 pm
And suppose there IS perfect eternal love? Lets, for our purposes, say there is. Regardless of points, support, evidence or reasoning, for now lets imagine that there is. Would you want it?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:57 am
I personally chose to try and ignore my feelings of love for fear of them being wrong.
I put my trust in God, and pray that if what I’m doing or feeling is wrong that it all soon be corrected..

[Directed at Shearis-] As far as what is love...I guess I really don’t know myself. If your going through something in you love life witch is what is causing you to question what love is then I suggest you do what I do. Ignore it and let God or itself be worked out on it’s own.
Probably not the wisest of all things to ignore it but it’s worked out good for me so far...well I’m rambling on. Perhaps I shouldn’t have bothered with posting..Anyway! Best wishes to your search for the meaning of love and all that...

[Empty.Vessel]

TheCuza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:04 am
What is love? That's something these guys have been trying to figure out for years.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff