Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What's scarier: Eternal life, or death? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:36 pm
locke317
chessiejo
you would be too tired and feeble to work

That is a good question. Are we hypothetically aging slower, or does our body still age at the same rate as normal?

I would say little to no aging in this. Eternal youth ... awesome!  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:44 am
I think it would be scary to have eternal life because that would mean you would have to watch all the people you love die. PLus it depends on how lonf of a life like can you be killed or are you immortal.  

spade89

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:05 pm
spade89
I think it would be scary to have eternal life because that would mean you would have to watch all the people you love die. PLus it depends on how lonf of a life like can you be killed or are you immortal.

I dunno. I suppose you're immortal.

Everybody who doesn't like eternal life doesn't want to see their loved ones die. I think people need to get over that part.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:33 pm
Ultra Sarah
spade89

Everybody who doesn't like eternal life doesn't want to see their loved ones die. I think people need to get over that part.

I agree. Loved ones will die, no matter what. They may die before you do, and then you will still have to deal with loved ones dieing.  

locke317

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:33 pm
locke317
Ultra Sarah
spade89

I agree. Loved ones will die, no matter what. They may die before you do, and then you will still have to deal with loved ones dieing.

It would be sad. But they need to think of the years and years they'd be happy, compared to the monthes they'd be sad every century at least.  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:56 pm
Ultra Sarah
locke317
Ultra Sarah
spade89

It would be sad. But they need to think of the years and years they'd be happy, compared to the monthes they'd be sad every century at least.
I agree with you, and what's the differnce even now when you aren't immortal or anything you still have the chance of seeing someone you know die, it will be sad and yes in my case I would be depressed for a while, but that's life and we should learn how to 'forget' the bad things about the past and move to the future  

xiaryth

6,250 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200

Moirne

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:40 am
I think that with having the eternal life things will start to loose their value. That includes life itself. Knowing that you're gonna die one day makes every day special in its own way. So I'd pick death. Afterall, it really is the only certainty we have in life.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:23 pm
Okay, you all say that immortality is bad because you see your loved one die, but would it still be bad if everyone is immortal? If we are all free from death and don't need to feed on others in order to live, what it would be?

I think it depends on how widespread (voc?) immortality is and what will happen once we have it.  

Dreamer Aura Laforest

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:18 pm
I think we're assuming only you are immortal. Otherwise there would be a damn population problem. (The last three words are quoted from that sci-fi story I can NEVER remember the name of.)  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:08 pm
To be honest Eternal (physical) life is scarier. After all, think about this: You're going to outlive everyone you have ever known and loved and there's no way you'll ever be with them again because you can't die. Of course, eternal spiritual life is wonderful (depending on what you view that to be according to your faith or personal beliefs). For me, death is a doorway to the next life, weather that means life in the Fields of Ra with all of my family and loved ones along with the Netjeru, or being reborn again because of making too many mistakes in this life. Even though no one knows what truely lies beyond death, it is our faiths and what some of use have experienced as far as communications with the dead and with our Deities that gives us the courage to face it. And think o fit like this as well: If you know your life is going to end, won't you want to make the most of it? If you cannot die, then everything just seems to be unimportant after a while, and even the most enjoyable things become pointless when done over the past few hundred years or less.  

King Robert Silvermyst

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:42 pm
So many people assume that you'd get bored after a while. I think those people probably would. I know I wouldn't.

Think of it from this perspective:
I like to read. There are 30 million books in the library of congress. I can finish a book in two hours to a week. Depending on the size. Let's average at three days.

So- 30 million x 3 days = 90 million days. That's 246,575 years. And more books get added every year. I'd love to read all of them. But I don't have the time.

Now, some people might not like books as much. They might want to play video games. I like playing video games. I don't know how many games there are. But I think I'm being conservative when I say there are 800 games. Each game takes me a month to two or three weeks to complete, if I'm very focused on it. Let's multiply by two.

800 x 2 weeks = 1600 weeks. That's thirty years. Not to mention MMOs.

Books and video games are great, but how about travel. That's gotta be fun. There are tons of places to go. I'm gonna say there are 250 interesting places. (There are of course, many many more.) It takes about a week for a trip. So 250 weeks. That's four years. Not as much as the rest, but I was being very conservatice with that number.

That's a lot already. I could go on and on. There are so many hobbies you could persue and master, so many subjects to learn. And we only have 100 years to do it in. crying

You would be sad if you lost your friends. But you'd make new friends. That's life. It happens to non-eternal people too!  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:43 pm
Ultra Sarah
So many people assume that you'd get bored after a while. I think those people probably would. I know I wouldn't.

Think of it from this perspective:
I like to read. There are 30 million books in the library of congress. I can finish a book in two hours to a week. Depending on the size. Let's average at three days.

So- 30 million x 3 days = 90 million days. That's 246,575 years. And more books get added every year. I'd love to read all of them. But I don't have the time.

Now, some people might not like books as much. They might want to play video games. I like playing video games. I don't know how many games there are. But I think I'm being conservative when I say there are 800 games. Each game takes me a month to two or three weeks to complete, if I'm very focused on it. Let's multiply by two.

800 x 2 weeks = 1600 weeks. That's thirty years. Not to mention MMOs.

Books and video games are great, but how about travel. That's gotta be fun. There are tons of places to go. I'm gonna say there are 250 interesting places. (There are of course, many many more.) It takes about a week for a trip. So 250 weeks. That's four years. Not as much as the rest, but I was being very conservatice with that number.

That's a lot already. I could go on and on. There are so many hobbies you could persue and master, so many subjects to learn. And we only have 100 years to do it in. crying

You would be sad if you lost your friends. But you'd make new friends. That's life. It happens to non-eternal people too!

I completely agree with you. There are so many books that I would love to read, but I know that I will never be able to because of how short of a lifespan I have. There are so many things that I want to do, but I know that I will never be able to do because of money or time, which in the end, money is gained by time worked, so if I had more time, I could do so much more with my life.  

locke317

Heather Farmer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:54 am
Not to mention future technology. That would make it even better.

I guess people just don't think about all the new people they could meet. People don't like thinking of replacements, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:55 am
Personally, I think death is scarier than eternal life.

If I were to live forever, I would feel safe and comfortable in a place I'm familiar with. We don't know yet where we go when we die, so I think death is scarier. Usually people are afraid of what they don't know.

Buttercup Scenester

fairywaif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:05 pm
I say eternal life. I mean, after awhile, you'd just get bored with it all, and then you'd want to kill yourself, but couldn't. Horrible, eh? Besides, after a while you would know everything, so you'd know enough to not be scared of death.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff