Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Does fear of the dark make you foolish Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

G0d_0f_R0ck

5,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:27 pm
Im thinking it isn't the dark you fear but what lies in the dark am i correct? if that is the case then there's no foolishness in it at all i have the same problem sometimes.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:21 am
Some study shows that 65% of people are scared to let their arm dangle down under the bed... eek  

Miss Rupa

Heroic Dark Elf

11,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Battle Hardened 150

shadowmartyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:33 pm
I love the dark, i never really been afraid of it. But most people fear what awaits in the dark.
I'm afraid of spiders... but i kill them most of the time because they scare the bujesus out of me.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:26 am
It disturbs my equilibrium, usually you can't push me over so easy in the light.

Anyone who calls you a**/whimp/idiot/whatever because of being afraid in the dark is it themself. Being afraid of something is an instinct, sometimes it cheats you, sometimes it keeps you out of trouble.  

Verderbnis

AnimeLord77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:15 am
Caramel Flavored Hat
Does fear of the drak maake you foolish?I think i have nyctophobia(fear of the dark)and my father says im an a** for being afraid..

thers nothing wrong with being afraid of the dark.
but if you want to get over it just sleep with the lights off and youll eventually become not afraid of the dark.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:29 pm
Not at all.
I believe that your father should respect that you have this fear.
The the term phobia is relative these days, it actually means, "An uncontrollable, irrational fear."

There are groups and classes that you acn go to with people who have similar phobias, or very differn't.
I once met a person who had Linonophobia- Fear of string at one of these classes, it was... interesting. I thought he was nuts, but then I remembered that I have a fear most people would think is equally as foolish, i will not say because I have been known to receive pictures of said phobia...
Anyway, it's very normal.

Saint Black the Morbid

1,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

MadameEx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 pm
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having phobias. I have many, the dark happens to be one of them. Sometime sit has to do with past experiences or sometimes it's just something that bothers you. There is nothing wrong with that.

Now, if it is a fear of something for attention then yes, that makes you an a**. People in society these days tend to be attention whore, and don't seem to care if the attention they recieve is negative or not. Some people have phobias for negative attention. If the phobia is for attention then you are an a**, but it doesn't seem as though you are one of those people...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:55 pm
No need to feel bad. Fear of the dark, or what's hiding in it, is perfectly normal. Why, once upon a time, I could not go to sleep without my nightlight, or some other light source, on because:

A: I was afraid of bumbing into things
B: Things just always seem scarier in the dark then they do in daylight.

I didn't stop using the nightlight until I was sometime around the age of 18. I just kinda realized darkness wasn't anything to be afraid of anymore and so I slept right through it. XD Basically, darkness is just another fear to conquer. Some just take longer than others.

Nevertheless, fear (of anything) does NOT make you a fool. In fact, it makes you stronger in some cases.

After all, the opposite of fear is courage.  

SephieSummerdream

Demon_of_Silver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:23 am
Being afraid makes you human. But if there aren't any humans here then it makes you whatever you are xD. Being in the dark doesn't scare me.....it's knowing that I can't see what's in it. I feel powerless and knowing that I can't react to something I can't see makes me feel weak. It's natural. Put your dad in a dark room and then make noise. See how he reacts. But don't let him no someone is in there with him. Prove something. People fear things it's natural.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Fear is natural and fear of the dark usually derives from not being able to see or know what is happening around you. You feel cut off and it creates insecurities such as fear. This is perfectly normal and not at all foolish. Majority of people fear the dark at some point in their life.

As a living being we have rules of survival sketched into each and every one of us. Insecurities and feelings that something isn't safe can save lives. Fear is not always a hindrance but can also be a useful tool. Fearing the dark is natural. It shows that you probably like to know what is going on around you and if you hear a sound that seems out of place you immediately turn on a light to investigate. This is normal and I believe that EVERYONE does it at some point in their life.

Yreduasp

killerclownmeat

6,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:17 pm
I used to be terrified of the dark, but now I need the dark from everything from showers, to sleep.And not just regular dark, I mean pitch-dark.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:31 am
Most people who say they are afraid of the dark aren't afraid of the dark itself but of what they perceive to be in the dark which I get that fear as well but honestly it's nothing to be ashamed of it's a natural thing to fear  

ggem3

8,700 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nudist Colony 200

Ubernerd0101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 pm
being afraid of the dark is natural in humans and some animals. It is not the fear of the dark itself, but a fear of not knowing what is in it. It is a survival instinct for most.
But an irrational fear of the dark (eg screaming and crying for hours and hours because the fridge light has stopped working) is something that needs to be adressed by a psychiatrist.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:34 pm
I think fear of the darkness is fear of the unknown, and/or fear of being alone. I understand being afraid of the dark, at times I am too. I think that was a terrible thing for your father to say, like everyone before me have said, all people have fears and most more than one. I myself am terrified of falling, darkness, and probably other things I can't remember. Even he's afraid of things, so don't take it to heart.  

Choco le Peep

DJ_Rial

5,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:25 pm
sweatdrop Fear of the darkness is not something that someone should be called an a** about. That's pretty brutal. I'm quite fearful of the dark, and am a teenager, though haven't done too many stupid things in the dark. I remember screaming one time and running into my friend, but yeah...I had a glass of water too...

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff