Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Atheism is NOOOOOOOT a religion!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Marmalade Ho

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:20 am
Atheism is a lack of religion. xD

I personally need more proof to believe one way or another; so far science is winning.  
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:38 pm
Quote:
Sorry, atheism is a religion. In America the definition of organized worship in order to be a religion is covered by:
1. Having 2000 or more members, check
2. Having a distinct set of doctrine that differs from other religions, check (the doctrine that there is no deity)
3. Having a set place of gatherings, check (I can't remember where it meets but there is a huge gathering yearly, that counts)

And that's why atheism is NOT a religion:
1. Sure, but there are no "atheistic circles", atheism not an organisation like christianity.

2. There is only one doctrine "God not allowed". Anyways, all "doctrines" are written in the basic writings like the bible, there is nothing like an atheistic bible.

3. Yeah, I always go to the atheistic church and pray to my nonexistant god. Atheism is unorganised, therefore there are no places for gatherings.  

Verderbnis

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:33 am
Atheism is the non-belief in any gods.

Christianity is the non-belief in all gods except their god.

Many people do not attend church and still call themselves religious.

Booyah!  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:35 pm
The definition of religion is very loose, and can be interpreted many different ways.
Religion can more commonly be defined as a set of beliefs. Atheism is the belief... of non-belief! I'm an atheist and I don't consider it a religion, but this thread is not arguing whether or not atheism is a religion, but the definition of religion.  

A Fluorescent Adolescent

PlasticFantasticLover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:44 pm
To say Atheism isn't a religion is like saying Secular-Christianity(you have Christian beliefs, you just don't believe in God), or even Secular-Judaism(similar to Secular-Christianity, a lot of Jews joined this religion after the Holocaust) isn't a religion. Also, if it matters at all, I became an Atheist of sorts so that I wouldn't have things like Gods and some such giving me false guilt and homo-phobic rules. In my opinion, Atheists only call it a religion so we have something to tell people, so it won't get mixed up Agnostic. Essentially, it's the 'lack there of'.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:13 pm
User Image

From knowing people, I'd say most do not believe that Atheism is a religion.

But I, on the other hand think that it IS a religion. Generally, I'd say that perspective is what defines this. Dictionaries give the general definition saying that Atheism is the belief that there is no god, or the disbelief of a supreme being. But really, you have to think what a religion is, and this is where perspective really falls into place. The definition for religion itself is varied by calling it a general belief or practice. In today's society, people are able to believe in something, but not necessarily have to practice something to be considered to have a religion. And this is where I believe that Atheism is a religion. Without practicing, it's still a belief, and a disbelief is still a belief none-the-less, and so that's why I think that Atheism is a religion. Like I said, this is majorly perspective, seeing as people have different views on the world and the things in their world, and religion is one of them.

As for what I am, I am an Agnostic. Reasons for this may be posted in another topic at a later time. 3nodding

User Image

Zephier

Captain Treky

Dapper Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:03 pm
I agree in saying that atheism is not a religion. I'm a Lutheran myself, which is basically a rebelious Christian. And I believe there is a God, but I am scepticall at times. People are allowed to believe what they believe. So, mmm, eh.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:30 pm
I agree with Verderbnis

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, atheism is a religion. In America the definition of organized worship in order to be a religion is covered by:
1. Having 2000 or more members, check
2. Having a distinct set of doctrine that differs from other religions, check (the doctrine that there is no deity)
3. Having a set place of gatherings, check (I can't remember where it meets but there is a huge gathering yearly, that counts)

And that's why atheism is NOT a religion:
1. Sure, but there are no "atheistic circles", atheism not an organisation like christianity.

2. There is only one doctrine "God not allowed". Anyways, all "doctrines" are written in the basic writings like the bible, there is nothing like an atheistic bible.

3. Yeah, I always go to the atheistic church and pray to my nonexistant god. Atheism is unorganised, therefore there are no places for gatherings.

I don't think atheism is a religion, but that does not mean that I think it is better or worse. I believe in god, but I know that I cannot prove his existence just as no one can prove his non-existence. Therefore I think that everyone has the same good reasons to believe or not to believe... or believe something else.  

Shenyu

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:41 pm
I didn't say that atheism is better or worse than religion, I just stated my opinion from an atheistic view.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:51 am
Oh, I did not mean you in particular with that, but I somehow got the feeling like there were virtual stones thrown at someone, if he said that atheism is no religion, like this would steal the credibility of that opinion/belief/whatever you want to call it.

That is not so. Just because something is not in the same category it does not mean it is worth less. (worth less, not worthless). At least to me, but as the quote says this is the definition in America, so there may be other ones in other places. I actually read that there is no clear definition of "religion", so it is more like "feel yes, feel no"-thing.  

Shenyu

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:47 am
The stones are thrown against those people who try to understand atheism as a religion. A lot of people fail to understand atheism, because it contains no religious elements, like rituals, beliefs or something like the bible. Atheism is a counterpart to religion as a thing, not emotion. Atheism is more of a conviction, not of a belief in "something that could be".

Of course atheism does not mean to only see a world, I know a lot of people who follow their own kind of belief, without god, without a theistic base, like christianity.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 am
Dolix Pullo
A religion is an organised form of worship. Atheism is unorganised, and worships nothing.

Exactly, an atheist is individualist with popular purposes, not like believers that act popular with individualist purposes(not all believers are like that, i know...).

Dolix Pullo
i stick my toungue out at you. Bleah.

I stick my tongue at you, and I know god wont help you.

Dolix Pullo
Also, I would like to point out that how can Philip Paulman want to kill God, if he doesn't believe in God. And, if God exists(He does!!), how can you kill a god?
kitty! >^.^<
Simple, god is a belief, so either you kill every believer or show them that god doesn't exist physically, spiritually or in any form that's not in the beliefs of people.

Dolix Pullo
kitty! >^.^<

Lastly, my Ostrich is bigger than your pussycat. ninja

Kagayaku Shirou

Sweetaznbebe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:40 am
User Image

Well... It doesn't really matter.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:39 pm
let's look at basic linguistics here.
a= lack of, absense of
theism= religion.
therefore, atheism= lack of religion.
duh.  

Sullen Couch

Shuyajin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:07 am
kyoshiro2
Your very single minded aren't you...
And there is no proof 'God' exists... And 'God' is more a belief than a religion in my opinion...

Where is the proof that you exist? Cause I don't believe that you do.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff