Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
~creation Vs evolution~ your thoughts? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

what you think?
  evolution
  creation
  I have my own theory =]
  GOLDZ!
View Results

Captain Treky

Dapper Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:10 pm
I have my own little theory. It says in the Bible that the world was made in seven days. A day to God might mean a thousand, million, or billion years to us. So yeah, that's my theory. I don't think that us evolving from monkey's is that credible though. It's kinda wierd.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:27 am
I halfway agree with Cpt. Treky. About the 7 days meaning millions or billions of years. I believe all life was created but it also evolved though the many years.  

Scourged Angel

FF Turk_Panto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:58 am
Kachan36
Twilight_Lives_On
well, to be honest, in my opinion, both creation and evolution are pieces of crap.
it's my belief that whether or not there is a higher power or if there is some scientific origin, humans are never gonna know what it is.
think of it this way- religion (note that i mean style of worship, not the existence of a higher power itself) and science are both man made
here's an analogy; no matter how hard you tried, you could never get a dog to comprehend the human concept of physics. their brains just aren't wired that way. and while we are more intelligent than them, are we arrogant enough to say that we are the pinnacle of knowledge?
there must be something(s) that we will never be able to understand, so why bother?
if there is a higher power (and it's just as possible that there's more than one) then there is, but what're the chances that we'll find out what exactly they are?
and if we came from some form of science, there are many principles that are very much out of our reach. for all we know, the sciences we're learning right now, while relative to the earth bound, could be complete garbage in the grand scheme of things.
we're wasting our time trying to figure out life's mysteries, but society is the way it is, so the debate will continue

You're right, there probably are things we can never understand. Does that mean we should just stop trying to understand things? 600 years ago, everyone understood the world to be flat. Should they have just gone on believing that and never discovered the truth? 300 years ago, everyone thought that sickness came from bad air or demons. Should they have stopped trying to figure out what germs are and how to stop them? Maybe we can't know how we got here, but we also can't know what we can or cannot understand until we try. Trying to learn and understand new things can never be a waste of time. I'm sorry, but that sounds like an extremely close minded philosophy for life.

Well the reason I agree with Twilight is the fact that she is not saying that we should just give for of course we are human beings in which to gain knowledge and understanding is our priorities. However, what your stating is facts that are easily proven explored. What those people did in their time was experiment and simply found what the problem were besides it being something way out of contrary. Remember the ideas of demons and the world being flat was all suggested and yet proven wrong way before after anatomy lessons came about as well as research from the cosmos in which these religious martyrs and devotees had looked down upon. Remember too on that note that religion was a fear rather than a comfort even though today it is still bringing about a fear. All in all its not the idea that we just need to give up but the real outward look to it is basically that we as human being needs to realize that our desires in our life most be out of us and we most look at the facts and admit the idea that we really know nothing. To become wise is to know yourself and know that you know nothing especially with this idea of creation and evolution.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:36 pm
I believe in creation. The reason being that evolution would mean we've evolved from monkey, who evolved from..something which evolved from something else and so on. If so, why are humans the only ones with human intelligence? And if the evolution theory stands true, a human should be able to be created from monkeys. Also, if you believe in the evolution theory it means that everything are inter-related and have some resemblance. One such theory is the frog theory with the hand relativity. However, this belief is that the frog's web-like fingers lose their web-like-ness which forms into something related to human fingers. This would make sense except human fingers protrude from the skin, and not because it lost the webs between fingers.

Even so, it's hard to prove ^^" Interesting topic.  

WaterEvidence

Kachan36

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:03 pm
Pantomime13
Kachan36
Twilight_Lives_On
well, to be honest, in my opinion, both creation and evolution are pieces of crap.
it's my belief that whether or not there is a higher power or if there is some scientific origin, humans are never gonna know what it is.
think of it this way- religion (note that i mean style of worship, not the existence of a higher power itself) and science are both man made
here's an analogy; no matter how hard you tried, you could never get a dog to comprehend the human concept of physics. their brains just aren't wired that way. and while we are more intelligent than them, are we arrogant enough to say that we are the pinnacle of knowledge?
there must be something(s) that we will never be able to understand, so why bother?
if there is a higher power (and it's just as possible that there's more than one) then there is, but what're the chances that we'll find out what exactly they are?
and if we came from some form of science, there are many principles that are very much out of our reach. for all we know, the sciences we're learning right now, while relative to the earth bound, could be complete garbage in the grand scheme of things.
we're wasting our time trying to figure out life's mysteries, but society is the way it is, so the debate will continue

You're right, there probably are things we can never understand. Does that mean we should just stop trying to understand things? 600 years ago, everyone understood the world to be flat. Should they have just gone on believing that and never discovered the truth? 300 years ago, everyone thought that sickness came from bad air or demons. Should they have stopped trying to figure out what germs are and how to stop them? Maybe we can't know how we got here, but we also can't know what we can or cannot understand until we try. Trying to learn and understand new things can never be a waste of time. I'm sorry, but that sounds like an extremely close minded philosophy for life.

Well the reason I agree with Twilight is the fact that she is not saying that we should just give for of course we are human beings in which to gain knowledge and understanding is our priorities. However, what your stating is facts that are easily proven explored. What those people did in their time was experiment and simply found what the problem were besides it being something way out of contrary. Remember the ideas of demons and the world being flat was all suggested and yet proven wrong way before after anatomy lessons came about as well as research from the cosmos in which these religious martyrs and devotees had looked down upon. Remember too on that note that religion was a fear rather than a comfort even though today it is still bringing about a fear. All in all its not the idea that we just need to give up but the real outward look to it is basically that we as human being needs to realize that our desires in our life most be out of us and we most look at the facts and admit the idea that we really know nothing. To become wise is to know yourself and know that you know nothing especially with this idea of creation and evolution.

The idea that wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing is not a new one. Nor does it mean that we should stop trying to know things just because there are some things that we may never understand. What it means is that we should never think that we have the absolute answers because we can always learn more. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that discovering the roundness of Earth or finding the effects of microscopic organisms on the human body were easy tasks. It was most certainly not easy for the people who did those things. Just because we don't know how to prove where we came from doesn't mean we can't. Maybe we just haven't looked in the right place. Maybe evolution and creation are both wrong. Maybe there is something we haven't thought of yet. Does that mean we shouldn't study everything we can to find out if we can know where we came from?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:26 pm
WaterEvidence
I believe in creation. The reason being that evolution would mean we've evolved from monkey, who evolved from..something which evolved from something else and so on. If so, why are humans the only ones with human intelligence? And if the evolution theory stands true, a human should be able to be created from monkeys. Also, if you believe in the evolution theory it means that everything are inter-related and have some resemblance. One such theory is the frog theory with the hand relativity. However, this belief is that the frog's web-like fingers lose their web-like-ness which forms into something related to human fingers. This would make sense except human fingers protrude from the skin, and not because it lost the webs between fingers.

I wish evolution were taught correctly. I understand why people prefer to believe in creationism, but I don't understand why people cite incorrect statements about evolution as their reasons for believing in creationism. Evolution is a complex, nonlinear process. No one who understands how evolution works would ever suggest that "a human should be able to be created from monkeys." I've never heard that frog theory before, but I would like to point out that our fingers do not protrude from the skin; they are covered by skin. They have a similar structure to that of a frog's front feet, and our fingers are webbed to a degree (that bit of skin between your thumb and forefinger that has no muscle under it is webbing). Most likely, that is what is meant by this particular--and inconclusive--line of evidence.

If you are going to believe in creationism, believe in it because it makes sense to you, because you believe in a higher power, or because you like the idea of being created for some purpose. Don't say you believe in creationism because you have some uninformed ideas about evolution.

And anyway, there is no way to know if either theory is correct. There may be a third option that we haven't thought of yet. Saying that you believe in one just because you think the other is false, is poor logic.  

Kachan36

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:18 pm
I believe in Creationism because it makes sense and I don't believi in evolution because none of it makes sense sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:08 pm
yes, it's quite agreed upon that those discoveries were difficult, but they were relevant to the lifestyle of the time.
how is knowing how we came to be relevant right now? sure, it's fascinating- i'm the first one to agree with that, but what could it accomplish for us at this current moment?
i'm not saying to forsake the thirst for knowledge- take medicine, for example, we'd be dead without those studies
but what i am saying is that the time spent looking for the meaning of life and all that stuff is better spent at the moment for, say, trying to end world hunger or whatever.

Kachan36
Pantomime13
Kachan36
Twilight_Lives_On

The idea that wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing is not a new one. Nor does it mean that we should stop trying to know things just because there are some things that we may never understand. What it means is that we should never think that we have the absolute answers because we can always learn more. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that discovering the roundness of Earth or finding the effects of microscopic organisms on the human body were easy tasks. It was most certainly not easy for the people who did those things. Just because we don't know how to prove where we came from doesn't mean we can't. Maybe we just haven't looked in the right place. Maybe evolution and creation are both wrong. Maybe there is something we haven't thought of yet. Does that mean we shouldn't study everything we can to find out if we can know where we came from?

mariez141

m4r1p0s4

Eco-friendly Sex Symbol

10,750 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:32 pm
To start off, I'm pretty sure whoever wrote Genesis in the Bible did not intend for the story of Adam and Eve to explain precisely how human beings appeared on Earth, so Creationism was pretty much a huge misconception. sweatdrop

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:55 pm
I believe in the idea of inteligent design, saying that evolution happpened but that a superbeing or engery force, how ever you like to think of a god, was the driving force behind it, helping to create the course of events that lead to evolution and slowly allowing the universe to mature. I justify it as all the questions that science isn't answering such as what makes humans have distinct personallities, what gives us our souls and any other unanswered questions about life and death as the secrets that the super being keeps secret because as a life form we aren't ready to fully understand them. That this super being was the reason that the big bang happened and that the universe grows. Science doesn't make my 'god' smaller, it only makes me appreciate all the hard work, love and effort that was used into making me live and expands him out past the realm of my comprehension. If science shakes your faith then how big is your god to you is what the question really becomes. Knowledge is given to us when the super being decides that we have advanced enough to handle it. People three thousand years ago and longer back coudn't have understood the idea of animals changing over time so 'god' decided that a simplified story would hold humanity over till they could prove to themselves what really happened.  

Linaofthelight

Kachan36

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:18 am
Twilight_Lives_On
yes, it's quite agreed upon that those discoveries were difficult, but they were relevant to the lifestyle of the time.
how is knowing how we came to be relevant right now? sure, it's fascinating- i'm the first one to agree with that, but what could it accomplish for us at this current moment?
i'm not saying to forsake the thirst for knowledge- take medicine, for example, we'd be dead without those studies
but what i am saying is that the time spent looking for the meaning of life and all that stuff is better spent at the moment for, say, trying to end world hunger or whatever.

How do you know what is most relevant or important right now? How do you know what will happen if we discover our true origins? For all you know, discovering how we got here could be the way to end world hunger. I just don't understand this idea of disregarding an area of study because you can't see how it is relevant. If no one ever did anything that seemed irrelevant, we would have very little progress. I'm not saying everyone should dedicate all their time to studying human origins, but I can't imagine thinking that any attempt to solve any mystery is a waste of time.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:29 am
Kachan36
Twilight_Lives_On

How do you know what is most relevant or important right now? How do you know what will happen if we discover our true origins? For all you know, discovering how we got here could be the way to end world hunger. I just don't understand this idea of disregarding an area of study because you can't see how it is relevant. If no one ever did anything that seemed irrelevant, we would have very little progress. I'm not saying everyone should dedicate all their time to studying human origins, but I can't imagine thinking that any attempt to solve any mystery is a waste of time.

You're right, for all I know, it might be.
But as for how we know what's relevant right now- um, let me think, maybe alternate fuel sources, global warming, etc. Those problems need answers right now. We don't have the time to go and search for the answers to "all of life's mysteries"
At some point, when there isn't a more immediate and pressing matter at hand, I won't stop anyone from pursuing those studies- like you said, they could solve some issues.
But at this moment in time, we can't afford to go running off on some wild goose chase  

mariez141

Kachan36

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:34 pm
Twilight_Lives_On
Kachan36
Twilight_Lives_On

But as for how we know what's relevant right now- um, let me think, maybe alternate fuel sources, global warming, etc. Those problems need answers right now. We don't have the time to go and search for the answers to "all of life's mysteries"
At some point, when there isn't a more immediate and pressing matter at hand, I won't stop anyone from pursuing those studies- like you said, they could solve some issues.
But at this moment in time, we can't afford to go running off on some wild goose chase

Yeah, I still can't agree with you. First of all, the world will not end if we can't afford to drive our cars, nor will global warming stop the Earth from spinning. Second of all, time is relative; there is never "no time." Third of all, if no one ever went on a "wild goose chase," many important discoveries would not have been made. We would, for instance, never find new fuel sources if we did not look for them in unexpected places. I say we can always afford a "wild goose chase." Again, all I can say is that I will never be able to think that any knowledge gained can ever be a waste of time, even if all you learn is that there is still more to learn.

P.S. I don't mean to say that alternative fuels and global warming aren't important issues because they are. They are not, however, the only issues, nor are they necessarily the most important. I just don't think that any research or search for truth of any kind should be trivialized.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:01 am
WaterEvidence

Could you elaborate on this please. I have no idea what you are talking about with frogs and humans...  

SuperiorDenizenOfTheHouse

3,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

mariez141

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:17 pm
Kachan36
Twilight_Lives_On
Kachan36
Twilight_Lives_On

Yeah, I still can't agree with you. First of all, the world will not end if we can't afford to drive our cars, nor will global warming stop the Earth from spinning. Second of all, time is relative; there is never "no time." Third of all, if no one ever went on a "wild goose chase," many important discoveries would not have been made. We would, for instance, never find new fuel sources if we did not look for them in unexpected places. I say we can always afford a "wild goose chase." Again, all I can say is that I will never be able to think that any knowledge gained can ever be a waste of time, even if all you learn is that there is still more to learn.

P.S. I don't mean to say that alternative fuels and global warming aren't important issues because they are. They are not, however, the only issues, nor are they necessarily the most important. I just don't think that any research or search for truth of any kind should be trivialized.

No, but life on the planet will end if we don't stop using the earth's natural resources, and -for lack of better word- really bad things will happen if global warming continues, certain animal and plant species won't be able to stand the climate change.
And whether or not time is relative matters only when there is an appreciable velocity difference between two bodies (read the elegant universe by brian greene, it's fascinating! ^_^)
And what I meant with wild goose chase wasn't the alternate fuel sources, because those are definite- we will find them. I meant this whole creating vs evolution thing. There's a chance that we'll never find the answer, just as there is a chance that we will. But right now, we need to focus on the certainties.

Yes, I agree that they're not the most important in the long run, but they take priority right now  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff