Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Twlight- Some things needs explaining: Please? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cevadeva

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm
Lus-cloud
Yes, I'm talking about the Vampire book series.

Some things i can understand in it, but others i can not. What i really want to discuse is how on earth can a vampire and a human have a baby?

How do the mechanics of it work?

To be honest, it shouldn't work. I've read the series but it just killed itself after the third book, and overkill in the fourth.

It shouldn't work but I think the author is going on the fact that the male specimen will still eject semen. Even though the body should be just dead, with no function at all, but then again it's a vampire and mythical creatures should do whatever they want apparently. And the reason females can't bear children, is because the female would have to change and mold itself in order to successfully carry the child. Consult a biology book/website for a explanation on this process. I think that if the female vampires can't have children, then the males shouldn't be able to eject.

The author just made an entire Mary Sue series, especially in the last two books. And being a Mary Sue means that anything and everything will happen for the happy ending, and the main character, Mary Sue, will make it possible in any way imaginable. That is the justification on how their child came into the world.

Basically, it can't happen and shouldn't be able to happen, for many more reasons.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 pm
well edward is a vampire and vampires cant have babies. but when bella and edward "mated" bella was not quite a vamp yet so she still had the ability to reproduce, because when you become a vamp your body stays the way it is when "vampireized". and guys dont have to have a body change to have babies so they stay the same. but girls have to change, so when bella got pregnant it was because she has changed (which it states in the book but not in those words). and since bella was human at the time and edward was vamp renesmee became half vamp half human.....  

4ever_lost in_ ur eyes

Lus-cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 pm
Lus-cloud
I know what you mean about twilight being "intelligent", but I thought i need some intelligent people to answer my question, Hence why its here.

I understand the female mechanics of it, but not the male.

Thanks for your help anyway.

I have edited the First post.

peoplesgirl05If you had read the first page, you would understand its more about Edward than Bella.

I can understand the 'Vampiresation' of things, but even staying the 'same' would only mean Edward couldn't create more swimmers for his cause.

xXKatakiXx, you have a good point in the fact that it doesn't work, and yes the last two books were over kill.

Fire Gwen: Mules- Donkeys and horses, that is what seems to be implied, but it just the thing about edward that had me confused, as well as others.

I guess only The Author herself can explain it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:04 am
okay let me try this again. Edward was 17 when he became a vampire. When you become a vampire, your body stays in the shape it was. When Edward was a human, he already had "swimmers", as you call it, so when he was changed to a vampire he continued to have those "swimmers". And yeah about the whole thing about them getting "stale" after so long, they shouldnt, well for him anyway, since his body stays the same way it was when he became a vampire. Its just like how his skin doesnt wrinkle even after all this time.And he is not dead, he is immortal. Theres a difference.
Breaking Dawn chapt7 page 126
"And human men-well,they pretty much stayed the same from puberty to death. I rememberd a random bit of trivia, gleaned from who knows where : Charlie Chaplin was in his seventies when he fatherd his youngest child. Men had no such thing as child bearing years or cycles olf fertility."

Also, this is a fictional book. Its not all going to be based on fact. And a lot of it is from stephanie meyer's imagination and how she sees it. If she sees it this way then thats how we are just going to have to live with it. People need to stop looking into it to much and looking for the logic behind it. Its a story, its not true. Its from a creative imagination, it doesnt need all this logic. And if you read clearly from it, Meyer clearly states her reasons for it. Its her imagination in a really good story, lets not butcher it by looking to far into it. Thank you.  

4ever_lost in_ ur eyes

Lus-cloud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:59 pm
Yes. we did realise its fiction, but we were merely looking into the logic of the baby thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:38 pm
ok, i read all the posts, and i know people have said stuff about the "swimmers" going "stale" or not, but, actually, they only die because the human body is too hot for them, and seeing as the vampires in Twilight are constantly described as cold, well, then, they won't die, will they? smile

oh, and since this thing is called "twilight questions" or something, i have another one. did stephenie meyer EVER pay attention in biology? esp the parts about mitosis and meiosis. how would each and every cell in a human get two more pairs of chromosomes? and even if bella's egg could be fertilized by a "swimmer" with two extra chromosomes, then renesmee wouldn't have 24 pairs, she'd have 23 and 2 extra, non-paired ones. also, with jacob, the chromosome thing is so confusing, i'm not even going to go into it, but if anyone knows anything about what i'm talking about....explanations would be great if anyone can think of any...  

une_pomme_verte

Lus-cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27 am
Your right sort of about the 'stale swimmers'. The male body keeps them at the optimum temperture.

Not only does that not make sense. Its just plain old confusing! Espically with the chromosone thing.
Edward has 27, or is that jacob. Argh can never remember. Either way, it doesn't work. I can understand your confused. Lets see what the people have to say.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:58 am
Lus-cloud
Your right sort of about the 'stale swimmers'. The male body keeps them at the optimum temperture.

Not only does that not make sense. Its just plain old confusing! Espically with the chromosone thing.
Edward has 27, or is that jacob. Argh can never remember. Either way, it doesn't work. I can understand your confused. Lets see what the people have to say.

edward has 25, jacob and renesmee have 24, and everyone else (humans) has 23  

une_pomme_verte

Lus-cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:11 pm
Thank you for correcting me on that.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:33 pm
Lus-cloud

It's the extra chomosomes in the shifters that give them the ability to shift. I don't see why vampires would have extra, though. They're just humans that have become infected with vampirism and died. You're born with a certain amount of chromosomes, and not even mutation changes that. The only exception is mutation in the womb, i.e. things like Down Syndrome, Huntington's, and things like that. BUT, they all occur in the womb, before birth.  

Deppfan

Master Azrael Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:04 am
peoplesgirl05
okay let me try this again. Edward was 17 when he became a vampire. When you become a vampire, your body stays in the shape it was. When Edward was a human, he already had "swimmers", as you call it, so when he was changed to a vampire he continued to have those "swimmers". And yeah about the whole thing about them getting "stale" after so long, they shouldnt, well for him anyway, since his body stays the same way it was when he became a vampire. Its just like how his skin doesnt wrinkle even after all this time.And he is not dead, he is immortal. Theres a difference.
Breaking Dawn chapt7 page 126
"And human men-well,they pretty much stayed the same from puberty to death. I rememberd a random bit of trivia, gleaned from who knows where : Charlie Chaplin was in his seventies when he fatherd his youngest child. Men had no such thing as child bearing years or cycles olf fertility."

Also, this is a fictional book. Its not all going to be based on fact. And a lot of it is from stephanie meyer's imagination and how she sees it. If she sees it this way then thats how we are just going to have to live with it. People need to stop looking into it to much and looking for the logic behind it. Its a story, its not true. Its from a creative imagination, it doesnt need all this logic. And if you read clearly from it, Meyer clearly states her reasons for it. Its her imagination in a really good story, lets not butcher it by looking to far into it. Thank you.

okay, lets say the vampire body could somehow keep the "swimmers" working right.
still you gotta realize that he is stick as a TEENAGE BOY.
therefore, its dang near impossible that he aint been "jerkin it" at some point in the years since then, hehehe...... them things'd be long since gone from his bod, and he aint producing more.......  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:41 pm
User Image

How is this discussion still going on?o-o

User Image

xdearpanda

6,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Yuuki Aoyagi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:59 pm
If you want to get into the mechanics of how a vampire can reproduce, it's not possible, why?: because vampires don't exist!.
Twilight is a Fiction, as are all vampire books, basically, the author of Twilight decided to make a super human, with nasty habits (eeww blood) and call it a vampire. now what's a vampire?, it's a 'once alive, now dead human that can somehow still be alive by living off others blood' (?) seeing as it's impossible for this to happen. i wonder, why bring up a topic on the mechanics of Fiction in the first place?.
it's not just Twilight, there are a lot of other "Modern Vampire" books for example, The house of night Series, or Vampire Academy. these don't follow the "original" version of vampires. but really, the first vampires were no more real then the ones now. if were going to bring up topics like this, we might as well make the next topic about how naruto's ninjutsu works, or how animals can talk, or for the REALLY daring, we can ask WHY Repunzel let down her hair?, or how much it hurt?, how it's physically possible to bring someone back to life with a kiss, or how long term magic works, what did the evil queen poison the apple with?, why did the White witch want it to always be winter?, and why did the prince bother with the dragon and not just get a hooker?
The answer: Because it's a Fiction, a Fairy tale, a source of entertainment, a mindless romance for the happily single. questioning fiction is like reading your kid a psychology book before he/she goes to bed. it's. just. not. done.
but, by all means, please do suck the spice out of life.
and while you can enjoy your philosophy, and text books, others can't.
so we'll continue to read our children the Politically incorrect, and physically impossible Fairy Tales. and fill there minds with 'Happily ever After' only to have there hopes of a handsome prince crushed later on in life. but, at least they had a good time while it lasted, life goes on, And Fiction is still the ever popular pass time.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:40 am
Snowy Solstice
The vampires are NOT dead. If someone is already dead, they cannot be a vamire. They are immortal, not dead.

Vampires are very much dead.
The word, 'Nosferatu,' loosely means, 'The Undead.'
Meaning, they are, in fact, dead, but they are magically animated to continue on after the fact.
People seem to forget that Vampirism is a curse.
According to Dracula, Vlad Dracul the Impaler made a deal with the devil, Satan, for those of you still wondering, to stay on the Earth and spread the curse of Vampirism.
In order for Vampirism to even work, the body must be dead to begin with.
And, since we've gone over Ms.(Is it Ms.? Or Mrs.?) Meyer's religious preferences, it seems obvious to me that Edward Cullen isn't even a proper vampire anyways!
No proper powers of seduction, not resorting to bloodsucking at the first opportunity, and above all else, being able to withstand the sun.
I agree with Azrael's Masturbatory theory.
(Is it all right if I call it that?)
Plus, a vampire can't be born to begin with.
That would mean life.
Let's go over the classifications of Life;
1. DNA.
Check. Edward Cullen does, in fact, have DNA.
2. Reaction to outer stimuli.
Check again.
Adaption to outer stimuli:
And another check.
4. Reproduction.
According to Meyer, yes.
5. Obtaining and utilizing energy.
Yes, check.
6. Having cells.
Yes. All things that are, and once were alive have cells(unless they're really, really dead.)
7. The ability to grow and develop.
Oh! Swing and a miss!

In order for vampires to be living, they have to match all of the above.
However, sorry, no.  

Sullen Couch

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:30 pm
here's the scary thing. in the book, they implied that an incubus (a sexual demon) could impregnate a mortal. vampires were the incubus/succubus. i did some research on incubus (i have this giant encyclopedia on monsters like vampires, werewolves and every thing in that category), and it said that while it was rumored that incubuses could impregnate women, they didn't make their own semen. it said that they got it from succubuses who'd slept with men and held onto it, or from 'nocturnal emmissions' (wet dreams). which makes sense because we're talking about a creature whose body is frozen in a form. if their heart isn't beating, how can they make their own semen? so why that would make a half vampire child who lives on both blood and food, and stops growing at 7, and is born with teeth (although in this encyclopedia, it said that if they were born with teeth, that's how you detected if a child was a vampire) doesn't make a ton of sense if their getting semen from human males.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff