Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Discussing Intelligent Discussion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Louise the Bump Fairy

1,450 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:36 pm
Keziel, you said it perfectly.

*stamps you too* 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:04 pm
i think that if the crew would make a stupid coments forum that people would go to that forum insted of this forum and posting stupid random things. but thats my thoughts.  

darthgold

suizome

Romantic Hunter

11,650 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 am
I believe that there is more than one way to skin a cat, you got the larger ways. Another way could be that we could insist on members (through PMs and such) and get them so they get tired of posting their ridcule and immature comments. Even though this would cause a bit of trouble, it is probably that it could work better than definitively just punishing a member, we all were idiots once. Let the idiots speak, and then comment back with a maturity beyond or ignore them (whatever your choice may be).

Another way is to delete posts. As a person who creates the board, it is your job and responisbility of watching out for those who would simply just waltz into a conversation and start ranting off with extremely rude, inconsiderate comments. So in that fact both are considered at fault when posting. I do not know if you can delete's other comments on a guild board if you are the board creator. If this is possible, it is a gaian responsibility to do so and delete ridicule.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 pm
Thank you Louise. :3

I agree with suizome on some of his ideas. While it may be difficult and extremely time-consuming, the whole idea of PM-ing someone who comments are, say, less-than-be-desired, could easily show those people that they are indeed garnering the attention they need/want, but it isn't the right way to do it. We should send out PMs saying something along the likes of this:

Dear Username,
It has come to the attention of the IDT (Intelligent Disussion Thread), part of the "Why Not?" guild forum, that what you posted in the thread is not related to the subject, ideas, nor overal thread discussion. It has come to the attention of the thread moderator (Username) and/or member(s) (Username), that you had posted such. We're not trying to enforce a law or anything, nor do we want to, but please... next time you come to the thread, read the ideas posted and the subject involved, and participate in the disussion. We would gladly hear your ideas, and we will do our best to include you in the conversation.

Violation: Disregarding the thread rules and code
(Put actual post they used here)

Sincerely,
Gaia "Why Not?" Guild, IDT Moderator (Username)
Gaia "Why Not?" Guild, Member(s) (Username)

Bwah-ha-ha-ha, victory shall be HOURS.

xP  

-YourFondestMemory-

Arachnakid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:41 am
If the people who post the one-liners and smilies are just looking for attention, I think the last thing you should do is give it to them by PMing them or responding to their comments. If they post something relevant to the discussion, then acknowledge this and include them. If they post something random or unintelligent, ignore them. Sooner or later, they will either figure out that they will get more attention by actually participating, or leave to annoy people in another forum. If they don't get a response from their actions, they will get bored and stop doing it. I agree that some one-liners can actually further discussion, but if that is the case then most of the people in the topic should easily be able to tell the difference.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:49 am
You could always try a name and shame policy. Put the names up in an announcement thread or something and then ignore the users' posts when they speak anywhere in the forum. I think they'll soon get the idea.  

afterdark_angel

PonZi JellyBean

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:23 pm
Pulga
Strideo is most likely right. This is my first time being a mod on any bbs type community. I also haven't been around much, but I'm not really going to delete posts, warn people, etc unless someone finds the person commiting the crime offensive, in which case, the person in question's name and where the post is should be reported to me.

Edit: Look at the new sticky for further information.

Well accordig to my observation and inference ,this man's signature is but very repulsive and offensive to the the ladies and I. THIS male's sentimetal feelings towards a female ,or the female's body, is but disgusting. He is ,but a desperate ugly man! (lol jk)  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:33 pm
i don't get how to do stuff here  

Angelic Jonas

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:45 am
Erm ... is it just me, or are many of the topics being posted lately not actually "intelligent discussion"-y topics?

I doubt it's just me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:33 am
In response to the whole one liner debate, I see nothing wrong with one liners or smilies, as long as they're relevant to the topic or discussion.
I have seen quite a few Wall O' Texts that is just nothing but constant spam and namecalling!

I also tend not to judge people's spelling/grammar either, I'd prefer it if people don't resort to chatspeak, but as long as it's understandable and is relevant, I don't really care if you don't always capitalize your I's.

There have been some circumstances where I've posted something (not in this guild....) and I really believed it to be relevant but it got treated as spam and removed, I argued my case, but because it sort of fell under a generic heading it got treated as spam when it wasn't!
So maybe PMing potential offenders isn't such a bad idea. It gives people a chance to explain themselves if they weren't being clear.

But if someone's clearly being obnoxious, then ban away....maybe if it's like a repeat offense type thing. 3 strikes, you're out? Maybe?

I also rather liked afterdark_angel's name and shame idea...  

BabycakesFTW

bokol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:55 pm
i feel not int nomore because of the numerous amounts of lessbrained people  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:36 pm
I am smart.
to prove it 1+1=2  

xXPsyChOMAnEatingNinjaXx

IKraeven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:55 am
plz vote 10 for me in teh arenas

click here  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:35 pm
This is a very difficult problem to work with. I honestly cant say that I dont enjoy random bouts of idiosy, in fact I do very much. But I do have to say that intelligent conversation is often far more satisfying then random shouts of "pudding!" and the like. The truth is that in this world that problem is going to happen. Though this is only an online world, Gaia has ran into the same problem that many nations in the real world have. Though many might call my reasoning 'out there' my thoughts are this. The reason that this problem has occured on such a large scale in many places is that everyone is uniqe. Everyone is different. Everyone is their own individual person with their own individual thoghts, feelings, and experiences. The only way to completely eliminate this variable is to take away all freedom of expression. In other words, communism, and I know no one wants that.  

LonelyAshes

sentientfrog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:30 am
I joineed thisguild today, and only joined thewebsite yesterday, I fear that Imay not be up to this subforums Intelligence requirement, Given that I am a very Quick thinker and so, though I can reply apropriatly and quickly, I often lack detail in my responces in order to maintain speed.

My suggestion, in regard to the initial question of maintaining uitable intelligence in the sub forum is to let people do what they want, but make use of the Name and shame policy, as someone already suggested, but also to intesivly moderate the forum bringing punishment or correction a quickly as possible, unfortunatly, this requires incredible attention payed to the forum, and can only be done by a large team of moderators.

Iwould like to point out that a good place for a first strike when moderating this forum would be the imediate moderation of this very topic as many oneliners and spam posts seem to have appeared in direct defiance of the Opening message.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff