Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
What makes a person act the way they do? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shedowolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:43 am
Baulder
strange_dreams_512
Baulder
IKurando
and that persuasion is generally powerful. someone who makes friends just for the heck of it probably has an influence, per say they are in a need of friends, or they are feeling happy, or sympathetic.
What?! To say that is like saying every time you ruffle your hair for the heck of it is iether because your in need of a hair comb or your head is feeling hot.
Haven't you ever done something just... for no apparent reason at all? Like grinding your teeth for example, or picking at a little loose thread in your sleeve....
I believe there's always a reason, whether tis apparent or not. For example when you have a strange dream *cough* there might be things that seem really randomly placed in your dream but it may in fact just be subconscience.
So if your taking a walk and then trip and give yourself a nose-bleed, then subconciously you wanted to hurt yourself for some reason?

Tripping and falling would be an accident, not something you choose, you weren't looking and there is a slight bump in the ground and you trip.

I agree with strange_dreams_512. I think there is always some kind of reason for doing something whether it be habit, concience choice, subconcience, or something else.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:33 pm
boner you cant walk with a boner hurts  

death_sox

Speak to me Muse

Dapper Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:44 pm
I think it is what we go through that affects the most how we act, but that doesn't mean that I think it is the 100% reason for why we act the way we do. Part of it is our own free will and spirit. Our determination. If we were raised in a hostile enviroment (such is the case with me) we could end up being very hard or mean to other people. BUT- we could also break the cycle... stop the violence, or the grief and choose to be happy. The will to do and be whatever you want and to take control is also a big part.
Did any of that make sence?
gonk Sometimes I confuse myself!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:47 pm
Their brain....
Seriously! All we think and do comes from what our brains picked up and how well its working to do the right thing or the bad thing. Then again, thats more if you think about say that guy who killed 33 ppl in Virginia tech. Why did he do it? Some blame he did it by choice, but more closely its his brain. Depression, or mixed up chemicals messed up his thinking process. Its our brians that keep us moving sadly...  

The Green Jester

Tristan_Jhao

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:56 am
hmm...its strange though...just a thought every other species of animal or whatever goes by instinct mankind is the only race that doesnt and goes by actual thought, i was sondering one day is mankind even from this planet cause if you pay attention pretty much since man came along everything went downhill...dont take this thought to seriously  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:52 am
I think the omly sure answer to this question is "we don't know for sure." LOL. Yet, I believe your early upbringing influences your character. Your friends' and neighbours' behaviour makes you relate to them in differnt terms and establish a pattern of your own behaviour. What I am trying to say is that your environment makes you relate to other people in a particular way. Your genetic heritage has a great impact on the way you act. If your father had been an alcoholic, you would have the tendency to follow his example. At least that's what scientists claim.  

Reenada

The God Filicide

5,850 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 am
What makes a person an individual is their subconcious ability to learn from those surrounding him/her during their upbringing. If a child is abused(mentally or physically) they will grow up suffering from one of three basic forms of anger. The first is depression which is repressed anger or anger turned inwards. The second is anxiety, the mental status of being anxious, they always have to be doing something, mental or physical and can lead to depression and vice versa. The third is more obvious; rage, hatred, loathing or in another word, anger which leads the person to be angery at themself and moreso at the world.
Children will grow up imitating people, television shows or from a more basic point of view: Anything they see or hear may affect how they percieve the world and what if anything that they want ot change about it or improve.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:53 am
Isley
hmm...its strange though...just a thought every other species of animal or whatever goes by instinct mankind is the only race that doesnt and goes by actual thought, i was sondering one day is mankind even from this planet cause if you pay attention pretty much since man came along everything went downhill...dont take this thought to seriously
Right, Homo Sapiens are the only living species that is widely known and capable of cognitive thought. This is strictly because we are the only species that has created a learnable(to other species, but not many) language. We are also the only species with ckeeks and a large enough brain to make differentiated noises(or words that other members of the species can imitate and understand) that are not exclusiuvely based on instincts. For example: The howl of a wolf, it signifies that he/she has made a kill; The yelp which is common through many species signifies distress and requires assistance. A cat's purring and a dog's panting stands for affection or love(to some extent).
From the idea that only one species(the Homo Sapien)is significantly benefited, it could come to the understanding that it has gone down hill specifically because of how we are destroying the world we live in for the mere great profit of a few, and a smaller profit for those under those few and the ones recieving what the product of what is being destroyed.  

The God Filicide

5,850 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Spooky Ames

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:28 pm
I think it has to do with experiences and the people you hangout with, how you were raised, etc. I big question that I often ask myself is, are emotions and personality purely human, chemical things? When we die, if there is afterlife, will we lose these things?  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:25 am
I would have to say reason or rational. We as people make choices all day. Here's hoping to making the best choices of the day!! rolleyes  

dragonfly1212

ebil yoder

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:06 pm
Well I think some older people might thinks its DNA and brain waves. But I think it what you grow up around. Your influences. Im not saying that if you grow up with ppl that like Rock ur ganna like it to...But i think it plays a big role in what u become....Life lessons, culture, friends and family mite make you who you are.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:29 pm
I think people change by the people they hang around with...like your friends if they drink and smoke at the age 14 then you might start doing the same things...I dunno it just depends on the mind and the power to control yourself to change or not to change your life...it depends on YOU nobody else.  

QueenAngel242

Renkinjutsushi Kioku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:07 pm
People change because of several reasons, and I don't know them all.

The technology (media). As you may know, music, TV, video games, internet, and more are big in this generation, as well as the technology. We have a tendency to follow along with the trends/ fads because it is "in," and most of us want to be cool. (Not including me, of course. I'm good in Philosophy, well, at least better than the rest of the class. Me ish nerd. O_o) But sometimes I ask myself or others ask me: "Why would people want to be cool or popular?" Because of this reason: Nobody in this world, in all humankind can survive alone,
"emotionwise." That would be why people would want to be popular, just to be liked by others, and not to be left out. You would be able to work for yourself, but you will be miserable in life. There was a study once to see what are the essential necessities that a human must have in order to survive. Obviously, you would need food and water. One of them is Love. You have to give out love in order to be loved back. But I don't agree with this 100%, because what about celebrities? They don't love their fans, and I bet you they think fans are annoying. But the fans love them back, so much that they would sacrifice their lives for the celeb.

Yes, the world is a screwed up place indeed. Philosophy connects to everything, just like how I did with the last paragraph. That's why I love studying it so much. <3 How do I know Philosophy? By watching FullMetal Alchemist.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:37 am
FFVII Vincent Valentine
Ok, this is an age old question and can lead to very in depth and wonderful debates.

What makes someone act they way they do, what builds a person's character? Is it their upbringing and their experiances growing up? Perhaps it could be their genetic make up. Here is a place for people to debate this age old topic, have fun, be respectful, and for the love of all things holy please don't type any ignoent jargon.

it's my opinion that character grow by following primitive urges off being alpha(bully's are succesfull) also parenting friend, events in life help delevopment off more unique chareteristics... though unique is more rare in this days since poeple follow stereotype wich force you to act in a particular way, human sociaty is grown to the point off a boring mass more simular to a ants nets then poeple wish to admit to
QueenAngel242
I think people change by the people they hang around with...like your friends if they drink and smoke at the age 14 then you might start doing the same things...
i agree that friends are/can be a big factor in personalyity change

Renkinjutsushi Kioku
People change because of several reasons, and I don't know them all.

i think it might be due to the copying nature off poeple that are insure...
poeple insure off there place in the stereotype world might result to dressing up to belong somewhere... acceptance being another reason
big events in life like parents passing away have a huge chance of effecting a life in a great way...

also longterm use off drugs can manipulate the personality in bad ways  

xX Miyabi Doll Xx

I am Yuu-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:40 am
you know that this question was already answered by science with a pretty useful form?

well here it is, excuse me if its not good english but I dont know how to translate some of these words...

Fenosomething + Genosomethin + environment = behavior

i will try to get translated the words, but its basically a combination of genetic components plus the environment.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff