Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
I'm honestly confused. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can you? (Read my post first)
  Yes, it makes sense to me.
  No. If You're a Christian, you can't just pick and choose what you want to believe out of the Bible.
  Dunno/other
View Results

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:42 pm
agreed. that is one thing that bothers me when someone believes just because something says so.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:29 am
me tooooooo  

SCHELSTEDER

squarecircle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:08 pm
spiffyelgato
I go to a Christian school. In this school, they often say things like "If all the non-Christians knew God's love, they would be Christians (which I already don't totally agree with)

Well, I believe that Jesus is the son of God and he died on the cross for our sins. But I don't 100% know if I want to associate myself with it. It seems that most people think that Christians have to be either for or against God. but I don't agree with many things in the Bible. And in many cases, i'll denty what God says (just how is homosexuality wrong?).

People frequently say to me "You can't just pick and choose what you want to believe in the Bible!" Which I generally respond to by saying "Watch me".

I had a conversation with a teacher that went kinda like this the other day:

Teacher:Megan, do you KNOW that you will go to Heaven.
Me:I don't know, that's God's descision.
Teacher:Well, are you a Christian?
Me:I don't know. I like to think that I am, but there are plenty of bible things I don't agree with.
Teacher:Like what?
Me:Like homosexuality. People can do what they want, nothings wrong with that.
Teacher:But it's GOD'S will that they ot.
Me :*scauffing* Because we're all the experts on what GOD wants, right?
Same with people who ae of differnt religions: They don't deserve Hell for that. You shouldn't be damned for choosing the wrong lottery numbers; what religion you choose is your choice. Do whatt feels right.
Teacher:I'm sure some MURDERERS thought what THEY were doing was right.
Me biggrin id you just compare love and religion to murder?

LOng story short, she told me me& my non-christian friends were going to Hell if we didn't shape up. Eventually , this happened..

Teacher:I'll pray for you.
Me:Why? Nothings wrong, i'm fine.
Teacher:Your spiritial life isn't fine.
Me:Frankly, you don't have the authority to tell me about my life.

What do you think? Can you BELIEVE something like this is true, and still seperate yourself from it?

Your teacher is the one picking and choosing, not you. Homosexuality is NOT condemned in the Bible. And if it were such an evil act, Jesus would have spoken out against it himself. But he never MENTIONED IT.

Your teacher is taking verses out of context and perverting them to make it appear that she's right, but I doubt she's read the Bible cover to cover.

Now, I'm not a Christian, I'm not even religious-- heck, I'm a full-blown skeptic. But most people with common sense know that there's nothing wrong with homosexuality. There just isn't.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:14 pm
spiffyelgato

Me:I don't know. I like to think that I am, but there are plenty of bible things I don't agree with.
Same with people who ae of differnt religions: They don't deserve Hell for that. You shouldn't be damned for choosing the wrong lottery numbers; what religion you choose is your choice. Do whatt feels right.

I bet many murderers were Christian. And many more that were caught and put in jail said that they found god and had seen the error of their ways. What i don't understand is that, say theres a guy who hasn't done anything wrong in his life, and yet just because he doesn't belive in god (or at least that god) he will go to hell. But the mass Christian murderer will go to heaven. wtf?  

werebunny131

Dabbling Regular

15,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200

I am Yuu-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:24 pm
I wont get into senseless discussions about a teacher that (like the most of them) close her mind to what she learned and thinks everything else is wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:11 pm
werebunny131
spiffyelgato

I bet many murderers were Christian. And many more that were caught and put in jail said that they found god and had seen the error of their ways. What i don't understand is that, say theres a guy who hasn't done anything wrong in his life, and yet just because he doesn't belive in god (or at least that god) he will go to hell. But the mass Christian murderer will go to heaven. wtf?

there were definately many murders committed by self proclaimed christians.. look at all the protestants the catholics burned in the 1500s.. and vice versa, catholics did the same back to them later. what about the witch hunts, the spanish Inquisition, the crusades... the KKK claim to be christian but had no problems hanging and terrorizing black people, and I think there was even a serial killer who claimed to be doing 'gods work' (but I'll have to look more into that one).  

Calypsophia

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:13 pm
I am Yuu-chan
I wont get into senseless discussions about a teacher that (like the most of them) close her mind to what she learned and thinks everything else is wrong.

well.. it's a christian school... what really should we expect? sad tho it is...  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:22 pm
The way I have seen it is that we god has individual plans for each of us. THis is one reason why I say that church schools aren't right and it is why I say that a church will guide you, but god himself will interpret his will to us individually as he sees fit for us individually.
The bible is a bit cryptic, and few parts tell you his will exactly. Generally we interpret it how he wants us to. If you interpret something one way, and your teacher interprets it another way, neither is wrong, but neither should force their interpretation on others, critian or non christian. Church schools force their interpretation.
I was getting baptized not long ago. Now, I and my family do not go to church every sunday, but that does not mean we are not still christians. When I was to get baptized, I first has to speak with the preacher, so he could be sure that I was ready. The way he acted with me, not really knowing me very well(from my lack of going), it seemed like he did not think I was truly religious, not sharing quite all his views. (I.E. going loyally to vchurch every single sunday, being greatly involved in church events........)  

azrael the reaper_95210

Yasuchika-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:32 pm
Wow I love this thread, never before have I heard so many people saying what I've come to believe myself. I was baptized Baptist I think, I'm not sure. All I remember was being sure the pastor was trying to drown me (I'm slightly aquaphobic) and that I hated that church because they separated me from my mother for Sunday School, making her go to a singles group and sending me in with a bunch of kids I'd never met before. I haven't considered myself Christian for many years now simply because of people like your teacher, and because of many people I've met in church. I must give kudos to Dreamer Aura Laforest, ZiCat, and datg- they have all stated my point of view exactly, and quite eloquently.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:35 pm
Interesting question. I agree and disagree with you. True God wants us to follow by his rules, but he did give you a will of your own. Alot of people, though, choose not to be Christian due to the fact that most Christians say that if you question ANYTHING about the bible, then you will go to Hell. Which in my opinion is not true. You might have a problem with Christianity. Or atleast the modern day Roman Christianity that everyone swears by and beleives is the only good religion and that other religions shouldn't e bothered with. One question that always come to my mind is: If a child is taught from the time it is born and old enough to learn of a Deity that rules over it, and if it follows all the rules and beleifs and is truly loyal to the God it was taught to worship, then why would it perish in Hell? I personally beleive that is not true. But by the book Christianity will tell you opposite. Christianity is not all what is says to be, and in fact much of it is very far from TRUE Christianity. Why do we worship and go to church on Sunday? Sunday is the day of worship for the Sun God (hence the name) and this day was chosen by the Romans as a compromise to get Christian and Pagans to fall under one category and be under one rule, so there would be no differences. If you like studying religions and want to find a religion for you i suggest you read up on books. Remember that you dont have to be any CERTAIN religion, you just have to do what you beleive is right and moral. A book that will tell you alot about modern Christianity (if youre not blinded by it or biased) is The Da Vinci Code. If there are certain things in there that you dont quite beleive, look em up everywhere else. Modern Christianity is far from what Christianity should be. Have fun! lol.  

LadyTettsoutu

Yasuchika-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:35 pm
Also another interesting point to ponder- I don't believe I've ever found a religion that didn't have one common school of thought: "Treat others the way you'd like to be treated." It may be worded differently, but it's even in the Satanic Bible. In the Christian respect, that's what Jesus did all his life, and isn't the basis of Christianity following Jesus' example? That doesn't mean blindly accepting everything the Bible says, it means treating others with dignity and respect, just as Jesus did. We're all created equal, we're all bloody on the inside. Don't believe me, go slash someone open sometime. Just kidding by the way. Point is, follow that principle and I don't believe any caring God would send you to hell just because you say kissed another girl (or guy) or because you didn't read an ancient and most likely erroneous text every day. You're supposed to do the right thing because it's right anyway, not because you're afraid of what'll happen if you don't.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:40 pm
The christian religion is strict in my opinion... I myself don't believe... The reason being... Well... Judgement should not be left to one 'thing'... Religion is only there for a sence of hope... The fact that you die and thats the end scares people... So they like to think there could be something after death and religion provides this... But I think someone may have even corrupted it in the process.. This may offend a few people but 'God' is alot like Hitler... Molding the world way he wants...  

kyoshiro2

xXLuckeXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:20 pm
I was in catholic school all my life but I'm not very religious at all.
There are many questions left unanswered and all I can heard is "Never judge God", "God is God and we are not suppose to understand God" and perhaps the most famous "It is God's will"
I am glad I was able to open my eyes and think for myself rather than think whatever church wants me to believe in.
Just because someone is religious doesn't mean that person will go to heaven.
Is there even a heaven? Is there a hell? I believe it is just a bunch of bull****  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:15 pm
hmm.. i agree.. you shouldnt be sent to hell just because of homosexuality.. some homos are even kinder than the 2 genders

sometimes,the "holy" people arent always right. they become blind and their minds are closed. sure they say they beleive in God but they only believe the bible which is not God  

wishingstar41

Card_King1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:33 am
In no place in the bible does it say that a homosexual will ever go to hell. Nowhere. Nowhere in the bible does it say that Hitler will go to hell either. Jesus hung out with Prostitutes. don't believe me? go to John 8:3-11. One of my favorite verses is in John 8:

14 Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.
15 "You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one.
16 "And yet if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone, but I am with the Father who sent Me.

While I do personally believe that homosexuality is wrong I believe it is no different than any other sin. You could say by the bible that I have even committed homosexuality:

10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

also:

13 For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

You don't have the right to judge someone. while you may believe what they are doing is wrong you still have the Christ given mandate to love them.
That is what I have to say,
Benjamin  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas