Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Why do you think he did it? (Just give it a try.) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well, what do you think?
  His own reasons.
  The woman's well-being.
View Results

zfirezdancerz666

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:29 pm
From the way you describe the man's personality, at the beginning when he had everything he put others always before himself. This would lead most people to think that he had done it for the woman's own well-being, and perhaps a partial reason to why he had confronted the crook at the cost of his own life. However, the man most definately must have thought of this as an opportunity to do what he could not bring himself to do, and that obviously was suicide. I say this because you said that bit by bit he started to lose sanity from the loss of his family, his job, and then leading most likely to that thought of putting others before himself, only slightly. He still had that moral enough to have the courage to go and help the woman. Having lost everything, like you said, he had began to lose control. Some people don't know how to handle losing EVERYTHING all at once. Therefore they start to contemplate suicide, as a way of an easy escape, instead of having to deal with the pain and suffering.
As heroic and tragic this act may seem all at the same time, i do believe that the man did it more for his own reasons of wanting to die, because some people are just too scared to pick up that gun, knife, noose, etc. and do the act themselves as much as they would love to. Its usually somewhat easier to have another person do it, and perhaps even easier if it was a stranger. This is a very controversial topic, and I think it is an interesting topic to think discuss. So, if anyone has anything to add, or question to this.. please keep it going biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:52 am
mbey he did it just to do it idea idea idea idea idea  

muddog21

MadameEx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 am
Perhaps the man intended to do both, save someone's life to prevent them from losing everything, just as he had, and also end his suffering, without having to do it him self.

He saved a woman's life. End of story. He sacrificed his life to save her. That, in and of itself, is the climax of the story. Yes, he was emotionally unstable and no longer wanted live, when given the opportunity to end his own life, but also save that of another, the man took it.

He ended his own suffering while also keeping someone else from suffering just as much. Admittedly, the woman would not have suffered nearly as much for she had not lost a family, but she could have died.

Even in the beginning, it was stated that this man would put anyone before him, he did just that, while still thinking about himself. That is a genuinely good man.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:45 pm
Well, since the man didn't really have much time to think about it, he couldn't just see it as a way to get himself killed. No, if he lived with a heart of gold, he would have thought of the woman's well-being before his own.

It's as simple as that.  

SkyZoned

ggem3

8,700 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:35 am
I think the man simply saw this woman under siege maybe and related it to his wife in that she was confronted with danger and maybe he wanted to save this woman from harm when he couldn't save his wife as a form of penance for not being there for her in her time of need  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:04 pm
in my opinion, i would say it was an impulse, often, when we don't care enough about our own lives, we seek to help others, for self-satisfaction most times, but, as you clearly stated, the man was depressed, having thoughts' of suicide. i imagine he was thinking something along the lines of "it doesn't matter if i die, i can't sit by and let this happen" this is what i like to call a "Hero-Complex" he see's no meaning in his own life, so he ventures to help others with their lives.
it gives him a reason to continue living, saves people in the process, and makes life psychologically easier for him.
it's much easier to distract yourself from your own problems when your constantly trying to help with others problems.
Also, it would give him an excuse to die without shame, without regret. all these things would be working through his mind Sub-consciously whilst consciously he could be thinking nothing beyond "i must save her" or, something along those lines
This is my opinion, under the assumption that this man is in fact, a very weak character.
(please forgive my bad spelling...)  

Yuuki Aoyagi

Love like 666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:02 am
He was trouble true, but in that woman's time of need he sought to save her from the robber. Even if he believed this was his chance at freedom, he'd save her before it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:24 am
beginingpost
- Did he see an opportunity to save someone else's life from being shattered like his own?
OR
- Did he simply see it as a way to die without having to do it himself?

So he had a Heart of gold and Thoughts of killing himself.

How do he move towards them?

To protect the by moving in front of her or by rushing the Crook?

It could be the answer...  

Kumi Katsuna

Britainian_Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:54 am
I believe when this man was confronted with this choice, his split-second decision could have only been caused by his long standing character traits for selflessly helping others. This is based on the time from the given circumstances, as any reaction that quick had to be a product of his character.

Though I'm not saying in different circumstance he might consider that into it, and it might have even crossed his mind as he was going through the actions, the overriding factor was helping the other lady.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:11 am
I dont even know wat you mean??? confused  

people129yo

Marx Gant

Hilarious Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:51 pm
I think that the action of the woman's distress caused an auto-reaction to help her. He probably thought bout other stuff en route to her possition but idk.

Kinda reminds me of "How to Save a Life" by the Fray  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:08 am
Nice question by the way, i thought you got it somewhere. Props for coming up with it =]
But honestly, i think it was a little of both. I mean, he heard a woman scream, which could remind him of how his family died..i'm sure they screamed too..
I think he did it to save the woman, but didn't care if he died in the process, that sort of thing..  

xXXxskyexXXx

FinalVenom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:13 am
i believe it would be both
i think it that the man wanted to save the women and in the back of his mind it is finally a good reason for him too commit suicide  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 am
he did it for his own reasons.

humans are animals. when an animal is wounded, they become self-centered and skittish. every thought they have is turned to how they can heal, or in this man's case, not have to. only after someone has finished healing, do they turn their experiences into a way to help others. but while one is still injured, it's safe to assume all actions are predominately selfish in nature.  

weepy young devotchka

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:19 am
my thought that is he probably wouldn't have even attempted to jump in if he still had everything.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff