Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Abortion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Abortion?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Lightwater2520

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:51 pm
Honestly, who are we to decide what another person should do?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:13 pm
XxSaRaHlOvEsYoUxX
Nemesis Erinys
XxSaRaHlOvEsYoUxX
ok so imma try 2 do this w/out gettin pissed

so...fetuses no mater what should be born no matter what
if the mother is in danger that usually only happens in the 4 an final trimester...when the baby can be born with a Cecarian scection (C section)

an if the mother does not want to keep the baby pre-aranged
adoption is the best because then the baby has a home an parents who want to keep it no matter what im not sayin that the mothers who give up the baby are bad mothers at all

you know what i was adopted an my mother who was 16 despite what her mother wanted she gave birth to me an she loved me so much she wouldnt let me out of her sight untill she got to hand me to my parents
an i cant wait untill i get to meet her at 18 so i can thank her because she was willing to ruin her relationship with her mother just so she could give life to me

so i hope this changes all of your minds because this is all true

I don't think your argument covers every possible situation. You say that EVERY fetus should be allowed to reach full term, but what about the victims of rape or incest? Should a woman who had no intention of having sex or a baby be forced to carry the fetus to term? Personally, I think that's a very cruel expectation.

I would like to hear your explanation of why you are against abortion. You've stated a couple of alternatives, but not really explained your reasoning.

first off its wrong
second its murder
if i were to kill you because you were born out of rape dont you think that would be wrong
its the same thing
an she souldnt be forced but i think she should chose to do the right thing an carry it

How can you say it's wrong? I can see that you believe it's wrong, I'm asking WHY you believe that it's wrong.

If you were to kill me, that would be entirely different. I'm already born, already a sentient being living independently of a womb and possessing a defined personality and identity. A fetus, however, is a cluster of cells with the POTENTIAL to become a sentient being. It also has the potential to fail at this through a variety of incidents/malfunctions/etc. Therefore it's not the same thing at all. Do you see what I'm saying?  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Deppfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:57 pm
I support abortion 100%. Yes, it's sad and unfortunate. Yes, it may take away people yet to be born that could have made the world great. But just think about all the possible people that could be born but aren't because of any type of birth control... or even just masturbation. It's all a random toss of the dice.

Then there's the adoption issue. I know personally, if I were to ever get pregnant before I was able to handle it and give a baby a good life, I would get an abortion. I just feel that it just wouldn't be fair to have some piece of me and my guy walking around and us not being able to be a part of any of it. Ok, maybe not fair. Not quite the right word. Unfortunate. Heartbreaking. I know it sounds horrible, but I would rather get rid of the situation and not go through all the months of growing attatched to this little person growing inside me. I could not bear it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:56 pm
XxSaRaHlOvEsYoUxX
an if you ever wanna go to heaven abortion isnt the way

Ok, one, there is no heaven, and two, who he hell are you to decide what it would take to get there or not even if it did exist?  

Deppfan

Jaz Kieten

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:34 am
I'm all for Abortion. Personally, I know if I was to become pregnant (At this age, 15), I would have an abortion. And only because if I were to have it, it would ruin my life, it's life, and the Father's life. Although, after stating that, I must say I'm against using Abortion as a means of birth control, however hypocritical it may be.

Now one thing I have NO doubts about is that I would abort a baby with Mental/Physical disabilities that would not give it the quality of life it should. People call my cruel for that, but, as stated many times, it is not only cruel, but plain inhumane to let a baby like that have to suffer through life, only to die in, what, 5 years or sooner? Not to mention the torture it'd go through what with peers; If, of course, it knew what was going on. I know a kid with Marfan Syndrome. He's very tough, but he's had many risky, life-threatening, painful surgeries. He's made fun of a lot for how he looks, and even had to have major heart surgery recently (He was born with a hole in his heart). He's also needed back surgery, major dental work, braces, heart work, foot work, and surely much others I know not of. Now, I would've aborted him, had I been his Mother, because he suffers badly..Even though he is a great person. And that's all I have to say on that. sweatdrop

In short, I am Pro-Choice; And, since I am a huge quality-over-quantity person, believe Abortion is fine (Before, in my opinion, the fetus is over 2 months. After that, I'm not so sure.).  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:46 am
deppfan
XxSaRaHlOvEsYoUxX

Ok, one, there is no heaven, and two, who he hell are you to decide what it would take to get there or not even if it did exist?

Deppfan,

I generally agree on your views; I am atheist. But, (No matter how much I dislike people like the one you quoted..) It's not cool to simply attack her views like that. Please respect her religious views... heart  

Jaz Kieten

Deppfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:51 am
Jaz Kieten
deppfan
XxSaRaHlOvEsYoUxX

Deppfan,

I generally agree on your views; I am atheist. But, (No matter how much I dislike people like the one you quoted..) It's not cool to simply attack her views like that. Please respect her religious views... heart

Then she should respect other people's views as well. What she said was rude.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:53 am
Kireshai
Quote:
so...fetuses no mater what should be born no matter what
if the mother is in danger that usually only happens in the 4 an final trimester...when the baby can be born with a Cecarian scection (C section)

To: sarahlovesyou.

Foetus, you dork.
You can only have 3 TRImesters, you imbecile.
Caesarian section, you moron.
Do you even know what you're talking about?

NOOOO... it is spelled fetus. She got it right. And don't call her names like that. If people really wanted to push the issue and be asses about it, they could kick you out for flaming. Believe me, people tried with me in another guild. I swear they had something against me.  

Deppfan

Shenyu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:56 pm
I think abortion is an option that should be used wisley, but I consider it an option... for some people with different reasons that may be the already said (crime, danger for the health of mother or baby, not being able to raise the child).

I am kinda amused about the "if you don't want to have babies, don't have sex"-logic some mentioned. I dunno where you are living, but in Europe we have condoms, pills and lots more to avoid pregnancy.^^ So you can have sex, when you do take it serious and I think THIS is the problem most people have. They just think "nothing will happen".
Even if I am pretty pissed about those people I still think they should have the choice. I mean if they weren*'t responsible enough for condoms or something else, you will have to see if they can handle a child which is quite a big task.

The other thing I noticed is that everybody talks about getting pregnant and what to do after the child is born, but I think some people do not want to experience the 9 months of pregnancy. That can also be a reason for me for abortion.
It is not an easy time, not only for the body but also for the mind. It might completely ruin your psyche and then you will be a hazard to your baby. Actually most children are killed right after their birth.

For me, I think none of this reason fits. I am totally afraid of pregnancy, but I think I could make it through with support from a mental doctor. I am already married, so the child woul be born into a stable relationship.
If there would not be a matter of health I don't think I could argue for a abortion in my case, but I want everybody to be able to choose for herself.

I don't think this will get you to hell either. Actually I am a religious person, but I learned that god gave us the choice. And if I choose that I do not think I am able to handle a child and fear that it might become a danger for others, I think this sounds responsible.
(I think I could not say this as clear as I wanted to, but I did my best in a foreign language^^)  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:38 am
I hope I can have my say without getting ripped apart here? sorry I just don't know what this guild is like compared to the rest of gaia main forums...

well...

I am neither for nor against - I believe that everyone has their time in life for things, some may make or break them and so on so on

I know in recent years (in england anyway) there has been alot of talk about the rate of abortions increasing. I had an abortion when I was 16 - that's 6 years ago now. Back then my whole experience was traumatic, I had to make a decision within 12 weeks during which time my gp had to refer me to 8 different surgeons before she found one who agreed to perform the operation... they all refused because of my age and because so many girl at that age were having multiple abortions and using it as a way of post-contraception if you like. I've been brought up catholic and I was always disgusted by abortion and thought even if I was raped I would never have an abortion because it's not a human's right to take or even give life to man unnaturally. - I've been inside a church only 4 times since the abortion... partly due to my guilt and hypocrisy

There has never been a second where I've thought I'm glad I had the abortion because it was the hardest thing to do, especially at that age and I'm still growing/maturing even now, so I can't say if it was the right thing or wrong thing for me to do... it feels really wrong, but perhaps it was right for me at the time, perhaps I was being selfish... but wouldn't it have been selfish to have a baby that I couldn't properly take care of?

Ironically, last year I was raped and I really thank god that I wasn't pregnant from it because there is no way I could go through breaking up another child's soul and life, and if I had been pregnant from it I would never have been able to recover from it... looking at the child would just remind me everyday.  

sientolo

area51l

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:45 am
xXSerial ExperimentXx
Firstly, I am HIGHLY against abortion when it was a stupid teenager that didn't think about the consequences of having sex. I know, as teenagers, their hormones are going nuts and some different paths might lead them to early sex but come on! If abortion is used as a form of "birth control" to stop horny teens from having babies I think that's disgusting. Do you kill someone because they are making your life in convenient? No. Then why kill a child because you wanted someone in your pants for an hour??

Rape cases I have more sympathy for. It's horrible that a woman should have to suffer because of what some guy did to her against her will, but I still don't agree with abortion. I know I can't force my belief onto her but I believe in letting the child die. The child isn't responsible for hurting you so why does it need to die.

Now I know there are other situations but I think you get the idea of what I'm trying to say. sweatdrop
I don't believe in killing a child for someone else’s mistake.

What I think we should be doing is trying to figure out a way to let the mother and baby live safe and happy lives, rather then argue about which one should be sacrificed for the other.
biggrin

amen sister, amen.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:51 am
deppfan
Jaz Kieten
deppfan
XxSaRaHlOvEsYoUxX

Deppfan,

And you think what you said isn't? There are many Christians out there who the hell are YOU to say that she can't say what she wants. She is right, abortion is killing another living being. That's breaking one of the 10 Commandments. Once you've broken one, you've broken them all. But it doesn't mean you won't go to heaven, either. You just need to ask God for forgiveness.  

area51l

Deppfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:46 pm
area51l
deppfan
Jaz Kieten
deppfan
XxSaRaHlOvEsYoUxX

Deppfan,

And you think what you said isn't? There are many Christians out there who the hell are YOU to say that she can't say what she wants. She is right, abortion is killing another living being. That's breaking one of the 10 Commandments. Once you've broken one, you've broken them all. But it doesn't mean you won't go to heaven, either. You just need to ask God for forgiveness.

Well, that is your opinion. I am not completely sure where the whole "life" thing begins. But, for the most part, I believe that when a fetus is developed enough to be able to survive outside the womb, that is life. It is a living human being at that point. Since abortions in the most part are not performed past the 3rd trimester (except in emergency situations), and a fetus cannot survive on it's own at that stage of development, it is not a living human being (in my opinion). And also, you have to believe in the 10 Commandments in order to follow them. Otherwise, you are simply behaving according to societal norms.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:15 pm
deppfan
area51l
deppfan
Jaz Kieten
deppfan
XxSaRaHlOvEsYoUxX

Deppfan,

Well, that is your opinion. I am not completely sure where the whole "life" thing begins. But, for the most part, I believe that when a fetus is developed enough to be able to survive outside the womb, that is life. It is a living human being at that point. Since abortions in the most part are not performed past the 3rd trimester (except in emergency situations), and a fetus cannot survive on it's own at that stage of development, it is not a living human being (in my opinion). And also, you have to believe in the 10 Commandments in order to follow them. Otherwise, you are simply behaving according to societal norms.

first of all, I'd like to say that I somewhat agree with what you say about when it is or isnt taking life. (currently, still deciding my position).

as to the commandments, killing IS breaking them. whether you follow them or not, you still have broken them, just without consequences if you dont follow them.

but really, think about it. whether you follow christianity or not, they are still a good set of morals for anyone to follow.  

azrael the reaper_95210

Deppfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:44 pm
azrael the reaper
deppfan
area51l
deppfan
Jaz Kieten

Deppfan,

first of all, I'd like to say that I somewhat agree with what you say about when it is or isnt taking life. (currently, still deciding my position).

as to the commandments, killing IS breaking them. whether you follow them or not, you still have broken them, just without consequences if you dont follow them.

but really, think about it. whether you follow christianity or not, they are still a good set of morals for anyone to follow.

Yeah, I was kind of in a pissed off mood when I posted, hence my responce. I definately see what you mean, since most of society behaves according to the same rules as the commandments, even if not conciously. They seem to be pretty much the general rules that most societies have come up with to ensure order.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff