Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Is Christianity logical? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

beaulolais

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:01 pm
this is what has been called the great offense.

yes, it is a paradox.

our minds are small, and god is great.

logic is a child's game which will not lead us to enlightenment.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:00 pm
I personally believe in christianity. But christianity isn't really logical because faith can't be proven by using logic. Like my life isn't exactly the best a person could ever have but i feel like it is because i have faith in god not the world. Like the world's view on logic and what's right and wrong is totally different from god's logic. If that helps you any...  

Breaking The Skyline

Truith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:52 pm
rockergrl121345
I personally believe in christianity. But christianity isn't really logical because faith can't be proven by using logic. Like my life isn't exactly the best a person could ever have but i feel like it is because i have faith in god not the world. Like the world's view on logic and what's right and wrong is totally different from god's logic. If that helps you any...

It worries me when a Christian thinks all that they have is faith. There are more than 300 prophesies concerning Jesus Christ and He fulfilled everyone to the letter. For instance old testament scripture states that He will be "born of a virgin", that He will have a forerunner (john the babtist.), that he would be sold for 30 pieces of silver by a friend and that, that money would be cast on the temple floor, that he would be born in bethlehem, that he would die on a tree, ect. they go on and on and on they even state what lineage he will come from. Faith is very important one should rely on God for everything. I know for a fact I would have killed myself long ago if it had not been for God working in my life, but we have proof and it can not be ignored.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 pm
Truith
rockergrl121345

It worries me when a Christian thinks all that they have is faith. There are more than 300 prophesies concerning Jesus Christ and He fulfilled everyone to the letter. For instance old testament scripture states that He will be "born of a virgin", that He will have a forerunner (john the babtist.), that he would be sold for 30 pieces of silver by a friend and that, that money would be cast on the temple floor, that he would be born in bethlehem, that he would die on a tree, ect. they go on and on and on they even state what lineage he will come from. Faith is very important one should rely on God for everything. I know for a fact I would have killed myself long ago if it had not been for God working in my life, but we have proof and it can not be ignored.

Of course they all came true. They are within the bounds of the story of the bible. It would be like, say, I wrote a book. I come up with prophesies for one of my characters. Would I then go and have none of them come true? No. Of course not.  

Deppfan

bonhomie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:34 pm
It's already been implied, but I don't see how you can argue whether Christianity as a whole is logical.
Perhaps, the belief in Christian God or something is arguable.
Or maybe, is religious belief logical; why limit it to Christianity?

Anyhow, I'd like to offer a different direction. If anyone's interested.

William Blake's "All Religion's Are One" (178 cool , offers a nifty, albeit imperfect, philosophy.

(Here it is in a nutshell. Sorry if it's hard to follow - The actual is worth a quick read, pretty brief)

All men possess Poetic Genius (the ability to create/imagine). All men are similar in outward appearance and are similar in possession of Poetic Genius. All religions are resultant of different "receptions" of the Poetic Genius and therefore:
As all men are alike, so are all religions similar and of the same source. And the source is man.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:56 am
bonhomie
It's already been implied, but I don't see how you can argue whether Christianity as a whole is logical.

William Blake's "All Religion's Are One" (178 cool , offers a nifty, albeit imperfect, philosophy.

(Here it is in a nutshell. Sorry if it's hard to follow - The actual is worth a quick read, pretty brief)

All men possess Poetic Genius (the ability to create/imagine). All men are similar in outward appearance and are similar in possession of Poetic Genius. All religions are resultant of different "receptions" of the Poetic Genius and therefore:
As all men are alike, so are all religions similar and of the same source. And the source is man.

I also reccomend "The God Part of the Brain" by Matthew Alper. It goes into the scientific aspect of why we created relgion.  

Deppfan

bonhomie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 pm
Deppfan Teague
bonhomie

I also reccomend "The God Part of the Brain" by Matthew Alper. It goes into the scientific aspect of why we created relgion.

Hey thanks! That sounds like an interesting read.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:22 pm
Since I'm hearing a lot about logical debate here, just for the heck of it I will place the three laws of logic (just in case no one has done so thus far.)

1. Law of Identity: A is A
2. Law of Non-Contradiction: A cannot be not A in the same since and at the same time
3. Law of Excluded Middle: A statement is either true or false

Now I shall place forth an argument of my own (not based on what anyone else has said) whether it has been mentioned or not. And see what one says of them.

First, I believe Christianity is very logical, and at the same time very trustworthy. Let me first bring in the case of Christ's resurrection. Now to many this sounds like complete foolishness and I can understand why, but please let me explain. Women found the tomb of Christ, which is something which should not (but often is) be over looked. At this time saying women found the tomb of your key character would get you mocked and laughed at, for the simple reason that women were viewed as insignificant. So saying that women found the tomb would (at this time) not lead people to Christ, this tells me something very important, that it wasn't 'fooling' people to believe that was important to them, it was telling the actuality of it all. The Truth. Lets not forget that Mary was the key figure who found the tomb (lets also not forget that she was a known adulteress) which would have turned any Jew away from such a document.

As bonhomie wrote 'All men possess Poetic Genius (the ability to create/imagine)'. I agree, but they cannot create or imagine something they have not seen or experienced before. All that we write about is a compilation of our experiences and what we know. We use it as a way to express what we know. If you do not agree then give me an example. But what I am trying to say with this is simple, how did we create something of such a magnitude? How did we imagine that the Creator that brought everything into existence, decided to bleed and die for the exact people who turned their backs on Him and spat at him? Or, that He decided to take upon Him the one thing He hated most, so that those who hated them could come back to Him. Yes we are quite creative, but we cannot create or imagine something we have not experienced. This I believe is a logical response.

Now I do beg you not to bring up mystical creatures, because if you realize, all of them are nothing but a compilation of other animals that we have seen. For example Chimera is a lion, eagle, snake, etc. put together. Or a Centaur is a Horse and a human. So on and so forth.  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deppfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:43 am
Kain1334
As bonhomie wrote 'All men possess Poetic Genius (the ability to create/imagine)'. I agree, but they cannot create or imagine something they have not seen or experienced before. All that we write about is a compilation of our experiences and what we know. We use it as a way to express what we know. If you do not agree then give me an example. But what I am trying to say with this is simple, how did we create something of such a magnitude? How did we imagine that the Creator that brought everything into existence, decided to bleed and die for the exact people who turned their backs on Him and spat at him? Or, that He decided to take upon Him the one thing He hated most, so that those who hated them could come back to Him. Yes we are quite creative, but we cannot create or imagine something we have not experienced. This I believe is a logical response.

Actually, if you look at most of the stories in the bible, they have been taken, at least in part, and then modified, from other cultures and other religions. For resurrection, there's Osiris from the Egyptians, Kali from India, Dionysus of Greek myth (check this link), etc, etc, etc. And that's just the resurrection story. So, your argument about us only being able to re-tell past experiences comes back on your own argument for Christianity.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:40 am
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334

Actually, if you look at most of the stories in the bible, they have been taken, at least in part, and then modified, from other cultures and other religions. For resurrection, there's Osiris from the Egyptians, Kali from India, Dionysus of Greek myth (check this link), etc, etc, etc. And that's just the resurrection story. So, your argument about us only being able to re-tell past experiences comes back on your own argument for Christianity.

I still stand strong with my said argument, for the reason, you completely missed the point. I didn't just say that Christ died and came back, I knew all about Osiris, and Dionysus(thought Kali I must admit is new). No the central point is the reason He died. And for who He died for. You only attacked that He had died and rose, not why or for who.  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deppfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:23 pm
Kain1334
Deppfan Teague
Kain1334

I still stand strong with my said argument, for the reason, you completely missed the point. I didn't just say that Christ died and came back, I knew all about Osiris, and Dionysus(thought Kali I must admit is new). No the central point is the reason He died. And for who He died for. You only attacked that He had died and rose, not why or for who.

Because that had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. And that was not an attack. It was a calm, civilized remark.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:32 pm
It is interesting to know you contradicted your questioni with the first comment, I am a Christian therefor i believe in God and find scientology filled with loopholes  

The Ammityville Toaster

Truith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:59 pm
Lucas_the_Fallen
It is interesting to know you contradicted your questioni with the first comment, I am a Christian therefor i believe in God and find scientology filled with loopholes
ok I realize I am probably going off on a tangent and that this doesn't reay add to the argument, but what exactly is scientology? All i ever hear about is absured rumors and no one I ask realy seems to know.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:18 pm
Deppfan Teague
Truith
rockergrl121345

Of course they all came true. They are within the bounds of the story of the bible. It would be like, say, I wrote a book. I come up with prophesies for one of my characters. Would I then go and have none of them come true? No. Of course not.

That is in no way true, you can look up the results of the stories of the bible in the encycopedia the rusults match. History tells us that the Bible is extremely accurate about events and places. often they use the bible to locate sites for archealogical digs. Some biblical prophesies are still coming true or are coming true rather recently, for example there is a verse in the bible that states "there will be no more princes out of Egypt" (now i'm not quite sure when this was but I know it was only a few hundred years ago , probably only 2) When the Egyptian government turned democratice they had had no princes that were there own they had been under the rule of the Europeans and the one time ,directly after they left, the prince was not actually from Egypt (terribly sorry about how it is not as specifice as it could be but I don't have time to look up the extra details. If you wish please look it up in the encylopedia). Side note, the greek old testament was finished about 200 years before Jesus was born. Making it impossible for us to change his story in the old testament since we have those original documents. And we have records from the Jewish courts and the roman historians of that time stating that his origin (with there own little added bits such as Jesus being the b*****d son of Mary, and him gaining "mystic powers" in egypt.) and crucifiction were indeed just as stated.  

Truith

Deppfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:05 pm
Truith
Deppfan Teague
Truith
rockergrl121345

That is in no way true, you can look up the results of the stories of the bible in the encycopedia the rusults match. History tells us that the Bible is extremely accurate about events and places. often they use the bible to locate sites for archealogical digs. Some biblical prophesies are still coming true or are coming true rather recently, for example there is a verse in the bible that states "there will be no more princes out of Egypt" (now i'm not quite sure when this was but I know it was only a few hundred years ago , probably only 2) When the Egyptian government turned democratice they had had no princes that were there own they had been under the rule of the Europeans and the one time ,directly after they left, the prince was not actually from Egypt (terribly sorry about how it is not as specifice as it could be but I don't have time to look up the extra details. If you wish please look it up in the encylopedia). Side note, the greek old testament was finished about 200 years before Jesus was born. Making it impossible for us to change his story in the old testament since we have those original documents. And we have records from the Jewish courts and the roman historians of that time stating that his origin (with there own little added bits such as Jesus being the b*****d son of Mary, and him gaining "mystic powers" in egypt.) and crucifiction were indeed just as stated.

Well, as far as I know, predictions and whatnot from the bible are so vague that people can take just about any event and make it fit. I've never fully read the bible, so I don't know what comes when, what fits where, etc.

As far as your question about scientology.... It was created by a man named L. Ron Hubbard, who was a science fiction writer. His "religion" states that these lizard-like alien beings came to earth and inflitrated human society thousands of years ago. They were somehow able to interbreed, and pass on their special genetic abilities. The belief in their church is that only certain people have them as ancestors, and thus have the genetic abilities dormant within their bodies. By becoming part of the church, they will be able to learn how to unlock these abilities, and become one with their weird alien freakiness. whee It's quite a bit like how The Force came to be explained in the later Star Wars movies. At least, I think that's what's going on. I might be confusing stuff. It should be easy to look up online.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff