Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Do the words "I love you" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

magic_doglover

Distinct Dog

6,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:24 pm
words mean nothing on their own. language didn't just pop out of nowhere for us to use; no, we created to express our thoughts, feelings, and experiences. so, no, i don't think that those words mean much to me. however, the feeling behind those words does matter. people are right when they say that that phrase has been used so much that it has lost meaning, and that is why we have to pay more attention to how people say the words. listen to their tone of voice, look at their eyes, try to interpret their body language, and (at the risk of sounding horribly cheesy) most importantly follow your heart; that is what is necessary to find out what those words truly mean.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:00 am
magic_doglover
words mean nothing on their own. language didn't just pop out of nowhere for us to use; no, we created to express our thoughts, feelings, and experiences. so, no, i don't think that those words mean much to me. however, the feeling behind those words does matter. people are right when they say that that phrase has been used so much that it has lost meaning, and that is why we have to pay more attention to how people say the words. listen to their tone of voice, look at their eyes, try to interpret their body language, and (at the risk of sounding horribly cheesy) most importantly follow your heart; that is what is necessary to find out what those words truly mean.

yeah that's true. words themselves are not the things or feelings they represent. and people can say anything. but any good actor can convince someone that he/she loves them. what you really have to look for as opposed to tone and body language, are the persons actions towards you. do their actions reflect the feelings they say they have? if not, either they're lying or they dont truly know what love is. actions speak a whole lot louder than words ever can.  

Calypsophia

LarkaHiwatari12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:47 am
CynthiaDS
Do the words "I love you" mean anything to you?

When I hear those words, I find that the people who say them do not say them like they mean them. But, how much meaning do those three words hold to you guys?

And what do they mean to you?

I agree with you. Those words should be saved for only those that you mean to say it to.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:04 pm
I feel that most of the time they mean nothing. The word "love" is thrown around far to causally these days. It exspecially pisses me off when a couple has been going out for a few days and they start saying that they love him/her more than anything else and that they are meant to be when their love is entirely physical. Then when they break up there is virtually no emotion and they get a new person the next day and it just keeps repeating over and over. But I really feel that there are situations where you just look into the eyes of someone you really truly love and say that you love them with all the sincerity in your heart and only then does it mean something.  

xxdangerousbydesignxx

Enciser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:37 pm
In the old days these words were only used with people after a marriage or engaement now days people in primary school are using themwhich i think is sad that words like that are spoken with such ease  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:16 pm
I think sometimes I love you does mean somthing, but it does matter how, it is said.. I have had it said to me by many people but only once has it every ment anything.. And it is sad that it has lost its meaning..  

ange de douleur

kitko-chan

5,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:12 am
well... to me the words i love u can mean different things..... they can mean that i trust u and u mean alot to me... and they can mean that i dont want to live without u and would do anything to be with u  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:53 am
Quote:
When did the saying "I love you" become just something anyone says to everyone? When did hugs and kisses and every other intimate thing lose their loving meaning? I see so many people now, say "I love you" and give kisses to anyone they meet...as if such loving gestures have completely become like another handshake. There's no sincerity in such things that used to mean so much...a long time ago a kiss meant something, meant "I love you"... Not the kind of love people say to each other today...real, genuine love. The kind of love that no one else could fathom or copy. Now I see people saying, "I love you" just like saying "Hi".... Like it doesn't matter.

The once exclusive three little words are now as common a saying with everyone as a normal greeting.... And it saddens me so much. It's so rare nowadays to find someone who will hug you and mean it, who will kiss you and you know that they wont kiss anyone the way they've kissed you. That when they say, "I love you".... They really mean it.

Even true friends are hard to come by now.... So many people who I thought were my friends, have come to show me that what I thought was so strong, was nothing to them. I have gotten tossed aside so many times I find it so hard to believe people are actually my friends when they say they are. There are only few people in this world at the moment that I really trust that they care about me. And I'm wondering how many more people there can be out there that are sincere like they are....

I remember when someone first told me "I love you" after a couple hours of knowing me...and I just stared blankly at them. How could they really say those words? When I say, "I love you" it means that I really do care about you, that I feel a bond between us that will not be affected by time nor distance, and that I'll be there for you when you need me, whenever that time may be. But this person had only just met me a few hours ago...and they just said to me some of the most meaningful words in the human language… As if it was no big deal. I hope so strongly that I never become that way. Such misuse of words that are supposed to hold so much sincerity. It really makes me wonder, more than ever before...

What has this world come to?

^ I love this paper. I friend of mine wrote this, and I completely agree with it.  

nightwing773

KamikazeSkies

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:13 pm
I think the words have a meaning, depending on who's saying them.

Family pretty much just means that they claim you as part of their family.
Close friends mean that they really do care about what you think and about your well-being.
New friends means that they probably just want to stay friends, and maybe be close friends later on.

And the significant other has a completely different aspect of things. If they say it, and it's obvious in their actions, then they love you. But if they tell it to you, and you couldn't tell by their actions, then they either don't or have problems showing it.

But hey, that's just me.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:21 pm
I love you means a lot to me when my husband says it to me, because I know he means it. But people tend to throw the word around like its nothing.

And yes, "love" is both happiness and sadness. The happiness wouldnt be as real without the bad times, they make you stronger  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Card_King1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:47 am
Yes. I most definitely agree with almost all of the posters so far. "I Love You" often has just as much meaning as Hi. It is a very sad thing when people just say "I Love You" Like it means nothing. It also will very likely hurt the one you are saying it to if they take it to mean something. I know for myself "I Love You" Is saved for when I'm on one knee in front of the person I truly love. I Just want to save that for the one I really love to avoid hurting someone if I say it and Things don't happen the way we thought it would.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:54 am
"I love you" has definitely lost its meaning in American society, and probably all over the world. Unless you're an Eskimo, because the Eskimos have 32 words for our one English word "love." I think the words "I love you" have lost their true meaning because the word "love" has so many different meanings. My mom says "I love you," but the feelings there are different than me saying "I love that shirt" or my boyfriend saying "I love you." As a child of God, I believe I am called to love everyone, to an extent. That doesn't mean I like everyone, but I try to show kindness and care even to people I don't like. Another thought on "I love you": it might actually mean something if everyone only said it when they actually meant it. Or maybe someone should make up 31 more words for "love."  

Andromeda Zreng

anahlis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:17 am
They don't mean much to me.I'm not really a person of love,It can leave you heartbroken in the end.I have hated all love except with my family for years now.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:32 am
NorthStar87
It means what you make it mean

i completley agree, i say "i love you " too like my mum and my nan and then theres only one or two ppl: my best friend, and My Bud Matt(cuz i REALLY do LOVE him)
and then i just kinda say Luv Ya too my uther friends , too me if i acctually say I LOVE YOU it means so much more than just , you know , Luv Ya Boo  

niqi_mo

Lucca Bright

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:33 am
NorthStar87
It means what you make it mean

^this.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers