Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Riddles~! Riddles~! Riddles~! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 64 65 66 67 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RIddle?
  My brains hurts
  It tickles ya brain
View Results

Lightwater2520

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:50 pm
Correct.
You're one of a hundred people standing in line to get onto an airplane that has 100 seats. There's a seat for every person who's in line, and each of you has a boarding pass for your assigned a seat. The first person to walk onto the plane drops his boarding pass and, instead of picking it up, decides, "I'm just going to sit anyplace." He takes a seat at random. Now, every other passenger will take either his assigned seat or, if that seat is taken, that passenger will take any seat at random. Because you are such a kind, generous, and accommodating person, you are the last passenger to walk onto the plane. Obviously, there's going to be one seat left, because everyone else is sitting in his correct seat, or not.

The question is: What are the chances that you get to sit in your assigned seat?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:32 pm
Er, I'll guess a 1% chance.  

zfatal

Toothsome Fairy

Lord VanHellsing13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:55 am
50%  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:18 am
Actually, revisiting this, I think my answer would change.

There is a 1% chance that the first person would choose the second person's seat. That is, a chance of 1/100. For the next person, there is a 1/99 chance that he or she will pick the third person's seat. So on and so forth.

Also, each person has the same chance to pick the next person's seat as to pick yours. I think the chances of you getting your original assigned seat are far, far less than 1%.

Or I approached this from the entirely wrong direction. xd  

zfatal

Toothsome Fairy

Lightwater2520

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:09 pm
Lord VanHellsing13
50%

correct. the only seats that matter are your seat and the jerk's seat.

A young man wants to ask a farmer for his daughter's hand in marriage. In fact, he wants more than the hand, he wants the whole girl. And the farmer says, "If you do this right, I'll give you her, a few cows, and I'll throw in a tractor! But in order to have her hand in marriage, I want you to walk out to the apple orchard and pick some apples. On your way back to the farmhouse, you're going to pass three fence posts. At the first one, you're going to leave half the apples you have, and half an apple more. When you get to the second fencepost, you're going to do the same thing: leave half the apples that you have remaining, and half an apple more. You'll do the same thing at the third fencepost. You can't cut, bite, fold, spindle, mutilate, or do anything to any of the apples. But, you must, when you're all done, have one apple remaining for my daughter. If you can do that, you can marry her, or you can have the tractor, whichever you want."

The question is, how many apples does the young man need to pick from the orchard so that when he starts out he has x number of apples, and when he's all done leaving half the apples plus half an apple at each of the three fence posts, he has one left?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:59 pm
7 apples. Leave 3 and a half apples + half so leave 4 apples at the first gate, you have 3. Leave one and a half of the three + half so you leave two. You end up with one apple left.

Edit: Missed a gate I think. 15 apples. 7 and a half + half = 8. 7 left. Second gate leave 3.5 +.5 = 4 so 3 left. Third gate leave 1.5+.5 = 2 and you have one apple. I choose the farmers daughter. Damn I hope she's hot. If not, then I will take the cows >.>;;

Kazenge

Hilarious Genius

Lightwater2520

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 am
Kazenge
7 apples. Leave 3 and a half apples + half so leave 4 apples at the first gate, you have 3. Leave one and a half of the three + half so you leave two. You end up with one apple left.

Edit: Missed a gate I think. 15 apples. 7 and a half + half = 8. 7 left. Second gate leave 3.5 +.5 = 4 so 3 left. Third gate leave 1.5+.5 = 2 and you have one apple. I choose the farmers daughter. Damn I hope she's hot. If not, then I will take the cows >.>;;

correct, and yes she is hot.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:16 pm
ok heres an old one your in a room with no windows and no doors the only other objects in the room are a mirror an a taple how do u get out  

G0d_0f_R0ck

5,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Kazenge

Hilarious Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:16 pm
I #^*#ing hate this riddle. It's not even logical but here is the answer. "You look in the mirror you saw what you saw, you saw the table in half, two halves make a whole, you jump in the hole and escape." *sigh*  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 pm
yeah i don't know thought it is like one of the oldest riddles ever so i figured i might as well put it in. hmm what other riddes do i know. crap i can't think of any sorry guys xp  

G0d_0f_R0ck

5,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Lightwater2520

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:18 pm
Guess I should post again.
I have written on a piece of paper in front of me, a word that is plural and also masculine. Now, I know we don't have masculine and feminine words in English the way we do in Italian or French. But, we do have words that connote masculinity. For example, the word "boys" is a plural word that connotes masculinity. The word I have written here is like "boys." It's masculine, and ends in "s." Now, I'm going to ask you to change this word from plural to singular and from masculine to feminine, all by adding a letter to it. You're going to add this letter, which is "s," to the end of the word. That's going to change it from masculine to feminine, and plural to singular. I only found one example for which this works.

Think you know what the word is?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:24 pm
Lightwater2520
Guess I should post again.
I have written on a piece of paper in front of me, a word that is plural and also masculine. Now, I know we don't have masculine and feminine words in English the way we do in Italian or French. But, we do have words that connote masculinity. For example, the word "boys" is a plural word that connotes masculinity. The word I have written here is like "boys." It's masculine, and ends in "s." Now, I'm going to ask you to change this word from plural to singular and from masculine to feminine, all by adding a letter to it. You're going to add this letter, which is "s," to the end of the word. That's going to change it from masculine to feminine, and plural to singular. I only found one example for which this works.

Think you know what the word is?

is it princes  

dragonboy30303

5,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Generous 100

zfatal

Toothsome Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:46 pm
Princess is what I would guess.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 pm
dragonboy30303
is it princes

Correct.

The company that Bobo works for just finished a new product. They wanted to promote it across the country. Bobo was asked to travel by car to each of the 48 contiguous U.S. states to promote the product. He was told that he could visit each state in whatever order he chose, but the company wanted him to start in Delaware, at their headquarters.

They asked that he visit each state only once. He could not go back into a state he had already visited-this was the "Don't Look Back" product tour. So, Bobo sat down at his desk and began to plan his trip.

He realized immediately that it was going to be one long car trip. At that moment, his boss stopped by and said, "Hey, I'm going to join you when you reach your last state. I was born there and I've been looking for a reason to go back and visit. You can leave your rental car there, and I'll fly you back in my private jet."

Since Bobo hadn't planned his trip yet, how did his boss know which state was going to be Bobo's last state? And, which state would that be?  

Lightwater2520

G0d_0f_R0ck

5,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:43 pm
well it would have to be a state near deleware otherwise bobo wouldn't bea bale to getback because he isn't allowed to backtrack i make random guess and say maryland and as to how his boss new he is phsycic. ok i know i didn't get the second part right but what about the first part  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 64 65 66 67 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games