Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Abortion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Abortion?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Thanks 4 All the Fish

Dangerous Shapeshifter

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:02 am
According to all scientific studies, an unborn fetus is considered a parasite, as it leeches off of the host's nutrients (the mother , in the case of a fetus) in order to survive. Without her nutrients, it would die, hence the classification of "parasite".
I do not consider a fetus to be a child until it is born and takes its first breath, thus I do not agree with the idea that aborting a fetus is "taking a life". It isn't alive yet, so how can you be taking something away when it doesn't have it?

Additionally, it is far more humane to abort a fetus that will never develop into a functional human being (i.e. one that would be severely disabled) than to let it suffer once it is born.

I believe it is the mother's choice as to whether or not she wants to abort a fetus, as it is part of -her- body.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:33 pm
Remy Lachance
Additionally, it is far more humane to abort a fetus that will never develop into a functional human being (i.e. one that would be severely disabled) than to let it suffer once it is born.

That is exactly why I disagree when people say that abortion is murder. Murder is killing someone who is an independent human being with mental facilities, etc. A fetus is a collection of cells with the potential to become such a human being, but no guarantee. Therefore, I don't think that abortion is murder since that idea is based on either the idea that the fetus itself is a human being (which it is not) or the idea that you are taking away the possibility of their life, which is kind of crap since it is only hypothetical that they will have a life anyway. There is no guarantee that they won't have a horrible disease, die in birth, be killed by a post-partem psychosis-afflicted mother, etc.

Possibility and actuality are not equal.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

THISisNOTmyACTUALname

Genius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:15 am
I think I can sum the topic of abortion up.
It's murder 5 days after it's born.
It's murder 5 hours after.
It's murder 5 minutes after.
It's murder 5 seconds after.
If it's alive, it's murder.
Abortion is murder.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:29 pm
Technically, a baby is part of a person's body, so they should be able to do what they want, but I think there should be a restriction like it can only b done until the 3rd month or something. If no body could do abortions, the world would b overpopulated, and also it could ruin countless people's lives. What if a rape victim got pregnant? Every time she looked at her child she would have to b reminded of her ordeal. And also, if abortions were illegal, desperate women would try other ways, like jumping off a high place or other methods that are potentially harmful to the person as well as the baby. So I think abortions should b allowed, but only up until a certain month, and only in specific scenarios - it shouldn't b something to take lightly.  

falling_to_fly

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:07 pm
that-guy-with-that-name
I think I can sum the topic of abortion up.
It's murder 5 days after it's born.
It's murder 5 hours after.
It's murder 5 minutes after.
It's murder 5 seconds after.
If it's alive, it's murder.
Abortion is murder.

You're arguing that killing a baby after it is born is murder, but abortion has nothing to do with after the baby's birth and everything to do with before it's birth. Basically, what I'm saying is that your only argument for ABORTION being murder is saying "abortion is murder." Care to explain your ideas a little more?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:31 pm
It's technically only classed as murder if the unborn child has a HEARTBEAT.

Personally, I believe that all women should be given the choice to have an abortion, but me personally, I could never go through with it. I'd always question myself. "What if??"  

BabycakesFTW

Thanks 4 All the Fish

Dangerous Shapeshifter

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:37 am
babycakes69other
It's technically only classed as murder if the unborn child has a HEARTBEAT.

Personally, I believe that all women should be given the choice to have an abortion, but me personally, I could never go through with it. I'd always question myself. "What if??"

A fetus is not considered a living being, scientifically speaking,until it is born. As a fetus, in the mother's body, it only exists by leeching off of her nutrients (which is why it is given the Parasite classification.)  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:29 pm
It's easy to say your pro-choice or pro-life, its easy to debate it, to have an opinion about it. What about living though it or with it? When you find out your pregnant everything changes, life is no longer just about you and everything you thought was important suddenly isn't. When your young and in a bad situation and you find out you will have to bring an innocent child into that, it gets that much harder. I know it doesn't apply to every woman out there who had to make that choice, but a good mother wants what is best for their baby, what if what they think is best is for them not to be born at all?
I know most people will think that's sick but some times it's the reality of the situation that a woman finds herself in. What if you don't want to bring into the world another child who isn't going to have a decent father, who might not always have enough food to eat or might not have everything they need because their mother made a stupid mistake one night. No matter how much you love some one love doesn't pay the bills. Is that fair to the child?
It isn't as simple as "Darn! I'm pregnant. guess I'll just get an abortion and everything will be fine." Many women who go though that suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and/or never are the same again. Some decide to live for the person who will never get a chance to and think about what might have been every day.
I'm glad I live in a country where the woman has the right to chose what is best for her and her unborn child. I wish more people could look at it with compassion and understanding instead of pointing fingers and calling people murderers.  

Meina Darkfur

Pinklikemyhair

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:25 am
Some people show off their beauty because they want the world to see it...

Others try to hide it...
---------------------------------------

I am against, but unfortunately, there are situations in life, were its better to have one.

For example: How the baby was conceived...Rape etc. some people can't deal with a baby born through situations like that.

Medical conditions, some people will die if they have a baby and so the have an abortion ):

---------------------------------------

Because they want the world to see something else..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:56 pm
Meina Darkfur
It's easy to say your pro-choice or pro-life, its easy to debate it, to have an opinion about it. What about living though it or with it? When you find out your pregnant everything changes, life is no longer just about you and everything you thought was important suddenly isn't. When your young and in a bad situation and you find out you will have to bring an innocent child into that, it gets that much harder. I know it doesn't apply to every woman out there who had to make that choice, but a good mother wants what is best for their baby, what if what they think is best is for them not to be born at all?
I know most people will think that's sick but some times it's the reality of the situation that a woman finds herself in. What if you don't want to bring into the world another child who isn't going to have a decent father, who might not always have enough food to eat or might not have everything they need because their mother made a stupid mistake one night. No matter how much you love some one love doesn't pay the bills. Is that fair to the child?
It isn't as simple as "Darn! I'm pregnant. guess I'll just get an abortion and everything will be fine." Many women who go though that suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and/or never are the same again. Some decide to live for the person who will never get a chance to and think about what might have been every day.
I'm glad I live in a country where the woman has the right to chose what is best for her and her unborn child. I wish more people could look at it with compassion and understanding instead of pointing fingers and calling people murderers.

That's an excellent way to put it. smile  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Plump luckypie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:11 am
Abortion is not personally for me, but I would never judge someone for having one. I don't think it is anyone's place, no matter who you are, to force your personal opinions, especially on such a touchy subject, on someone else. I have a son and he was from an unexpected pregnancy - he means the world to me. But it's not easy. There are so many reasons why someone would want an abortion and I don't think they owe us an explanation at all. We all use the example "oh blah blah the mother may have been raped" well I think there are more reasons than that. it's not always as easy as putting the child up for adoption. so bluntly, trying not to be rude. I honestly think we should all mind our own business about what other people do and keep our judgements to ourselves.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:33 pm
I am pro choice and pro birth control

I think that if a baby is suppose to be born then it will
I don’t think that killing a fetus before it becomes a child should be a crime because if the child isn’t suppose to be born than it wont and t doesn’t matter if the mother chooses or god the child was never going to be born
Personally, I know I could never abort a baby but some people think that it would be the right thing to do and I support them

On the subject of birth control, I think it should be allowed to not only prevent conception but also because some Women cant live with there periods. When I have my period I am stuck to my bed crying I miss school and work and I cant live with 5 days a month of not being able to do anything  

Caity9117

Dermoi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:43 pm
i have no problem with abortion, but i have no right to force my opinions onto others who believe abortion is wrong.

For me, i don't thnk it would be fair on either myself or the baby if i was denied an abortion. I'm a "step up to the plate" kind of person, so if i had to, i would raise it. if it was hungry, it would be fed, if the was cold, it would be warmed, but that is the extent of what i would be able todo. i have a couple of problems with emotions, and i wouldn't be able cope with its emotional welfare.
I think thats worse than aborting it, it would basically be brought up unloved. i think that would probably twist the kids mind... i would efectively be raising a serial killer.

So, for me, abortion would be the best way to go.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:22 pm
I have to say i'm against abortion, but a little on the pro-choice side, only when it comes to the matter of what those before me have said. If the mother or baby is at risk of dying, or if the mother had been raped, the I could see where that is from, but other than that, No.

You had the coice to have sex, whether the age you are, you did it. And you should be able to be responsible for what you have done. The thing inside of you, your child, you little baby, has a heartbeat at 16 weeks. Having an abortion is basically the same thing as murder. Your killing a human being. It may not be in the earth yet but it's alive.

_psychotic_dreams_

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 pm
_psychotic_dreams_
I have to say i'm against abortion, but a little on the pro-choice side, only when it comes to the matter of what those before me have said. If the mother or baby is at risk of dying, or if the mother had been raped, the I could see where that is from, but other than that, No.

You had the coice to have sex, whether the age you are, you did it. And you should be able to be responsible for what you have done. The thing inside of you, your child, you little baby, has a heartbeat at 16 weeks. Having an abortion is basically the same thing as murder. Your killing a human being. It may not be in the earth yet but it's alive.

What about those who used one or more forms of birth control and still ended up getting pregnant?

Sure, a fetus is alive, but it's not independent. It's an extension of the mother at until birth, and why shouldn't she be able to choose what to do with her own body?

How is killing a fetus (an undeveloped, totally dependent nonindividual) comparable to murder, the vicious killing of a person (someone who has a mind, a personality, and some sense of self)?  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff