Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Atheism is NOOOOOOOT a religion!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

White Tiger Akutare

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:33 am
I wish we could just forget about religion, just say "Who cares", get on with our lives, so much conflict spared.

But nothing can ever be so simple.

Oh, and atheism isn't a religion, it believes nothing.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Designer Genes
Verderbnis
And misery, suffering, war, diseases, poverty, crime, rape, murder, robbery, genocide, all that because someone said it's an order by god.

How many people have an order by god to walk the rightful path of negotiation and diplomatics today?

The amount of good being done by a alcoholics producer spending one traffic light is more then the good as a whole being done by the church in its entire history.

War is never and has almost never been fought over religion. It is fought over resources.

You actually said that, didn't you?
If war isn't fought because of religion even in part, then can you explain the crusades to me? Because I obviously missed something... -___-
Oh, and all the conflict in the middle east as well. Please explain that too.

Sforzando Poco

SpokenSoftly

Ruthless Elder

8,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:58 pm
White Tiger Akutare
I wish we could just forget about religion, just say "Who cares", get on with our lives, so much conflict spared.

You're thinking of nihilism. Atheism is, insofar as I have been able to understand, the position that there is not a supreme being that created the universe.

I hold the opinion that atheism is, while not a religion in and of itself, still a religious position. A true atheist thinks of a god or gods constantly, albeit in terms of unbelief, therefore he (or she, as the case may be) takes a religious position, if not strictly speaking having a religion.

((Note: Agnostic, formerly of the Moravian Church prior to 1987))  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:57 pm
"A religion is merely a set of moral codes that is expressed through myths, legends, or any type of literary device in order to establish a system of beliefs, values, and rules, which regulate a culture and society"
...i do love that quote...
if atheism isnt a set of codes then what is it?
its something to live by, while it not might be one of the prominent dynamic religions in todays society it believes simply to not believe.

I think how we define religion in this conversation is going all askew because we assume that a religion has to have a god.  

Aashif

8,800 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

Sullen Couch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:53 am
Atheism is, in my opinion, the complete disbelief in a higher power and/or afterlife, and refusal to abide by any pre-set moral codes.
Someone could, theoretically, be, from a moral standpoint, Roman Catholic, but not actually believe that there is a God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, et cetera.
Meaning--
A person could believe in fidelity, monogamy, and all that jazz, but might still doubt the existence in a God of any sort.

Thus, atheism is not a religion.
Aashif, if it were a religion, all athiests would be expected to believe in exactly the same things as other athiests.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:08 am
Sullen Horror
Atheism is, in my opinion, the complete disbelief in a higher power and/or afterlife, and refusal to abide by any pre-set moral codes.
Someone could, theoretically, be, from a moral standpoint, Roman Catholic, but not actually believe that there is a God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, et cetera.
Meaning--
A person could believe in fidelity, monogamy, and all that jazz, but might still doubt the existence in a God of any sort.

Aashif, if it were a religion, all athiests would be expected to believe in exactly the same things as other athiests.

Not really. There are different denominations of Protestantism, etc.  

SpokenSoftly

Ruthless Elder

8,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Bidding War 100

Alizarin Sol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:11 pm
The funny part is, if religion didn't exist, niether would atheists.

The whole idea of atheism is to reject religion, in hopes of making life simpler. Hey, who can blame 'em? There's like a hundred different religions, and there's many ways to look at it.

Maybe there's only ONE correct religion.
Maybe all religions are right, and everything exists at once.
Maybe NONE of our religions are right, and maybe something completely different happens after death. After all, isn't most of religion just one big series of build-up that eventually boils down to "What's going to happen when we die"?

Atheists decide to believe in nothing, and decide to find out what happens after death WHEN they actually die. Making atheism the opposite of a religion.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:15 pm
Quppins
Sullen Horror
Meaning--

Not really. There are different denominations of Protestantism, etc.

Maybe so, but they all have their own set of ways a person should live.  

Mad Haru

Skald the Philistine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26 am
We have to die in battle, so that Valkyries will take our souls to Valhalla.

Duh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:34 am
Isnt religon based upon what you believe? Well, then if a person believes that there isnt a god or doesnt believe in any sort of common religous thing then isnt that a religon it self? Because they believe that there isnt a god. So by means Atheism is a religion.  

xXx suicidal_skittles xXx

5,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Skald the Philistine
We have to die in battle, so that Valkyries will take our souls to Valhalla.

Duh.

You do have a point.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:29 am
Arenlor
Sorry, atheism is a religion. In America the definition of organized worship in order to be a religion is covered by:
1. Having 2000 or more members, check
2. Having a distinct set of doctrine that differs from other religions, check (the doctrine that there is no deity)
3. Having a set place of gatherings, check (I can't remember where it meets but there is a huge gathering yearly, that counts)

So having met all three requirements they are recognized as a religion in the United States of America, therefore they cannot claim to be against all religions without declaring a holy war against America itself. America has the Trinity Act, which declared America to be a Christian nation. Hence anyone, such as Islamic extremists, or atheists, who claims to want to destroy Christianity through violence is declaring war on this sovereign nation.

The english people first came America to be free from religious pressure and in my opinion we are not a christian nation but a nation of freedom and since all cultures and beliefs are welcome here...I find what you just said offensive...and if it is true, then there needs to be some change in legislation...no wonder christians believe they rule the world...blah...  

tikitales

Sparkly Loiterer

11,775 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300

Ookami hime95

Hygienic Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:32 pm
Alizarin Sol

The whole idea of atheism is to reject religion, in hopes of making life simpler. Hey, who can blame 'em? There's like a hundred different religions, and there's many ways to look at it.

Maybe NONE of our religions are right, and maybe something completely different happens after death. After all, isn't most of religion just one big series of build-up that eventually boils down to "What's going to happen when we die"?

Atheists decide to believe in nothing, and decide to find out what happens after death WHEN they actually die. Making atheism the opposite of a religion.

I like the way you think...Very smart.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:44 am
Doctor_Whiteface
White Tiger Akutare

You're thinking of nihilism. Atheism is, insofar as I have been able to understand, the position that there is not a supreme being that created the universe.

I hold the opinion that atheism is, while not a religion in and of itself, still a religious position. A true atheist thinks of a god or gods constantly, albeit in terms of unbelief, therefore he (or she, as the case may be) takes a religious position, if not strictly speaking having a religion.

((Note: Agnostic, formerly of the Moravian Church prior to 1987))

He stated preciselyh my argument, minus one thing.

Thing back to the Ancient days, when we didn't have complex machinery, back thousands of years "BC." Things happened that people couldn't understand. Man, being a creature that doesn't like the unknowns decided to create something that explained mishaps (such as how the Earth was made, lightning storms, tide swell, etc.) All of this came to become the first religion. So people created this religion, which shows that people created the deity which ruled said religion.

Religion is defined as "something one believes in and follows devotedly." This does not state anything about meetings, it's just a commonly held belief.

To put me aside from many others, I am a realist. If you don't know what a realist is, go look it up.  

Prince-I

Dapper Elocutionist

Prince-I

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:48 am
Ookami hime95
Alizarin Sol

I like the way you think...Very smart.

UGh, atheism is a religion. The BELIEVE that God doesn't exist. The prefix "a-" or "an-" means no, or without. Theism is a belief in a god. Atheism is without the belief of God, in other words, believing in no God. Atheists don't believe nothing, as stated before, that is nihilism.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff