Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Is Christianity logical? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Truith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:59 am
To above comment. True there are many differing opinions on certain issues within different Christian denominations. In general all I'm talking about is cannoned scripture by itself without any of the denominational strings. After all I myself am nondenominational in my belief. Also as a side note most denominations hold to "central beliefs" that do not change with their different sects.
This will likely be my last post as I feel that, as I am becoming twenty gonk ,I should find something better to do with my time that spend it on Gaia. So I bid u all a most likely farewell. Bye bye  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:47 pm
Growing up Roman Catholic, there were alot of things in the Bible that made no sense at all. Firstly, what kind of loving, omnipotent Deity would punish hundreds of thousands of generations of humans for the action of two, regardless that they are, according to Christian/Jewish/Muslim mythology, the first two humans? Also on that note, how would humanity have survived with all of the medical problems that come with incest? Very few species can survive long on a shallow gene pool, given weaknesses to disease. Also, if there is only one true religion, why then has the Divine shown Himself/Herself to various different people as different entities and given them all a basic layout that is common amongst them, yet at the same time so vastly different? If you look at the morality and concepts of many other religions, they all revolve around truth, peace, love and honor. None of them endorse things we as the general public would consider evil.

Also, Jesus lived the life of a humble man, preaching from the road, and showed that humility is a true virtue. And here we have a pope living in a palace that would shame the Taj Mahal, and only a portion of the money that is gathered up to that level is given to charities. And what's with all of this switching priests around instead of dealing with the molesting offenders in the priesthood and kicking them out, or at the very least punish them?

I believe that there are teachings to be taken to heart in the bible, along with many other books from different religions, as well as there are things in the bible that have been mistranslated, removed because the content would cause questions to be asked, and things added (ie. King James added in the part of 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.' due to his fear of pagan (nature)-based religions.)

As far as the 'being born in sin', I believe, to the contrary, that we are born pure. We 'learn' to sin as we grow. I don't believe an aborted child would be sent to Hell, or a child that dies after birth due to an illness or genetic disorder is sinful and deserving of Hell.

In summary, these are merely my thoughts on the matter. Christianity, like most all religions (except for the proven cult/scam that is Scientology) is one path of many towards Spirituality and unity with the Divine.  

King Robert Silvermyst

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:45 pm
King Robert Silvermyst
Growing up Roman Catholic, there were alot of things in the Bible that made no sense at all. Firstly, what kind of loving, omnipotent Deity would punish hundreds of thousands of generations of humans for the action of two, regardless that they are, according to Christian/Jewish/Muslim mythology, the first two humans? Also on that note, how would humanity have survived with all of the medical problems that come with incest? Very few species can survive long on a shallow gene pool, given weaknesses to disease. Also, if there is only one true religion, why then has the Divine shown Himself/Herself to various different people as different entities and given them all a basic layout that is common amongst them, yet at the same time so vastly different? If you look at the morality and concepts of many other religions, they all revolve around truth, peace, love and honor. None of them endorse things we as the general public would consider evil.

Also, Jesus lived the life of a humble man, preaching from the road, and showed that humility is a true virtue. And here we have a pope living in a palace that would shame the Taj Mahal, and only a portion of the money that is gathered up to that level is given to charities. And what's with all of this switching priests around instead of dealing with the molesting offenders in the priesthood and kicking them out, or at the very least punish them?

I believe that there are teachings to be taken to heart in the bible, along with many other books from different religions, as well as there are things in the bible that have been mistranslated, removed because the content would cause questions to be asked, and things added (ie. King James added in the part of 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.' due to his fear of pagan (nature)-based religions.)

As far as the 'being born in sin', I believe, to the contrary, that we are born pure. We 'learn' to sin as we grow. I don't believe an aborted child would be sent to Hell, or a child that dies after birth due to an illness or genetic disorder is sinful and deserving of Hell.

In summary, these are merely my thoughts on the matter. Christianity, like most all religions (except for the proven cult/scam that is Scientology) is one path of many towards Spirituality and unity with the Divine.

I agree that we are all born pure, what possible reasoning could their be for us to be damned from the time of our conception until such a time that we "prove our worthiness to enter heaven"? It just isn't logical.
And if Christianity's God truly was a loving and forgiving God, then why would he damn any spirits to Hell? Shouldn't all people deserve to be at peace when they die?
I think death should be considered a release from the world.
A release from all the fighting, all the sin, all the betrayal.

"Only the dead have truly seen the end of war."  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:29 pm
lnvictus
Harujiro no Yorozuya
And of course, Christians have their whole theory laid out in front of them, but they can't prove it any better than we can evolution.
Also, I'd like to invoke Sherlock Holmes.
'It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has evidence. It biases the judgement.'
Since Christianity had their theory before the proof, most of what they use to prove their beliefs are probably biased.

What do you mean PROVE evolution? How do you explain Lucy? As well as all of the other conclusive evidence scientists have SUPPORTING evolution. There is no scientific proof that anything in the bible ACTUALLY happened. We have no found the tomb of Jesus Christ, though we have scoured every possible place that clues have led us to, we still find nothing. Explain that with you bible Triuth (not meant in a disrespectful tone, simply a challenging one. :])

"Lucy" is quite frankly the biggest joke of the millinia everything we thought we "knew" about lucy is based of a pigs tooth and a perfectly human bone fragment (a knee) found miles apart in two different layers of earth  

HellCatMurasame

2,250 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:53 pm
I guess I'll get into this.

Science. Science is a way to understand how the world works and a Christian is allowed to use it to find truth and to learn. However science is also a basis for Atheism and logical answers mean nothing to them so fight fire with fire incorporate science into this. There's a belief going around saying that we are related to monkeys and that we evolved from them. This is not set in stone it's just a theory. We have not found real hard evidence that we come from monkeys and our human genome seems to contradict with that theory. We have a Adam and Eve Genome and it may be possible that we came from one pair of humans but again it's not set in stone and it's just a theory. Sodom and Gomorrah. A city filled with sin god didn't like that and it rained brimstone and destroyed the city. Near the dead sea there seems to be evidence that confirms that event. A city that seems to be destroyed by fire leaving nothing but ashes and to make my argument stronger Brimstone is also known as sulfur and they found balls of sulfur all over this site. Archelogists have found things that strengthens the bible's creditability so in short the bible should not be passed off as some storybook.

But I'm rambling and moving away from the topic. Is Christianity logical? Yes. But you cannot view the bible as a storybook you need to view the bible as a way to live your life.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:17 pm
轻言细语 孔明

The land is united at last....No, the land was always as one....

I will say this and then that will be all:

The bible was written by Man, and therefore every story was what the man asked to write it THOUGHT God wanted him to say, and therefore cannot be held as fact, but wild guessing and speculation. I for one refuse to read a storybook about a God written by Man due to the fact that Man will always let his personal beliefs cloud what is truly meant to be understood in the visions.

Telling us that a story is your proof just shows the rest of us that you truly have no proof that your religion exists, or whether it is logical or not.

I, for one, am Taoist. No God to give us visions, no Man to misinterpret His visions. I have spent my entire live learning about almost every single religion, and those who follow God displease me the most since thy blindly trust the word of Man without even questioning if that's what God intended to be said.
It was man who has been divided....

DemonicAlistair

Bunny Motherof2

Timid Gaian

20,265 Points
  • Timid 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 pm
The bible was not written by man but by God,everything that was written in the book has come true,from when the bible said that from the David to Joseph was born the saviour,the people did not know that the bible was written until they found the dead sea scrools.Danial proved that everything he said was going to happen did happen.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:31 am
HellCatMurasame
lnvictus
Harujiro no Yorozuya
And of course, Christians have their whole theory laid out in front of them, but they can't prove it any better than we can evolution.
'It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has evidence. It biases the judgement.'
Since Christianity had their theory before the proof, most of what they use to prove their beliefs are probably biased.

What do you mean PROVE evolution? How do you explain Lucy? As well as all of the other conclusive evidence scientists have SUPPORTING evolution. There is no scientific proof that anything in the bible ACTUALLY happened. We have no found the tomb of Jesus Christ, though we have scoured every possible place that clues have led us to, we still find nothing. Explain that with you bible Triuth (not meant in a disrespectful tone, simply a challenging one. :])

"Lucy" is quite frankly the biggest joke of the millinia everything we thought we "knew" about lucy is based of a pigs tooth and a perfectly human bone fragment (a knee) found miles apart in two different layers of earth

Get your facts straight. Wow... really? Lucy consists of about 1/3 of a skeleton, not what you listed.  

Deppfan

delasislas

Friendly Gaian

18,675 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:21 pm
first off the bible has so many lie that it isn't funny
two religion is a fiction of your imagination you call me mad haha
three do you know how many people have died because their religion said that if they did they would get a reward??  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:41 am
bislas
first off the bible has so many lie that it isn't funny
two religion is a fiction of your imagination you call me mad haha
three do you know how many people have died because their religion said that if they did they would get a reward??

I don't quite get what the big deal is... You seem so angry about something but I am not sure what. sweatdrop Sorry if it seems like I am butting in. I just find the attitudes of people in religious debates amusing. People get so worked up over proving their theories and opinions, and most people come in with such a biased view that they don't listen at all and just spend the whole time insulting each other! ^^ It really is quite entertaining.  

Ariemea

Dangerous Informer

Ariemea

Dangerous Informer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:43 am
Deppfan Teague
HellCatMurasame
lnvictus
Harujiro no Yorozuya

Get your facts straight. Wow... really? Lucy consists of about 1/3 of a skeleton, not what you listed.

I believe the pig's tooth reference was another instance. Perhaps not Lucy. I have read about that one many times as well, so I know that the information is correct, I am just not sure which instance that occurred in. Hope I was slightly helpful in clearing up the conversation... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:49 am
The Bunny of wind
The bible was not written by man but by God,everything that was written in the book has come true,from when the bible said that from the David to Joseph was born the saviour,the people did not know that the bible was written until they found the dead sea scrools.Danial proved that everything he said was going to happen did happen.

Hmmm... sorry, Bunny, but I am not sure something like that stands in a serious debate. Trying to prove the Bible through itself may make perfect sense to a believer, but to an atheist, it is just, to borrow the colloquialism, "hogwash" to someone who doesn't believe it. ((Also, just for your information, the Bible has been around for a long time before the scrolls were found. The Dead Sea Scrolls simply added a few books to the collection, and gave us some more manuscripts to translate to clear up the language. As far as Daniel goes, it is a very complex thing you are delving into. To cover the prophesies of Daniel would take months, especially in an online conversation)).  

Ariemea

Dangerous Informer

Ariemea

Dangerous Informer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:52 am
DemonicAlistair
轻言细语 孔明

The land is united at last....No, the land was always as one....

I, for one, am Taoist. No God to give us visions, no Man to misinterpret His visions. I have spent my entire live learning about almost every single religion, and those who follow God displease me the most since thy blindly trust the word of Man without even questioning if that's what God intended to be said.
It was man who has been divided....

I am sorry you feel this way. It's unfortunate to be disappointed in a whole religion of people, especially one as large as Christianity.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:24 am
I'm not a Christian but I think that there are some good values in the bible. Like not stealing and not murdering people. I see the bible as a story, not a history book. But things can be learned from stories. Jesus was a good man. He helped a lot of people. He saw people for what they were on the inside. I think everyone could stand to be a little bit like Jesus, whether you believe in him or not.  

Vengeful Elegance

Ariemea

Dangerous Informer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:36 am
lnvictus
King Robert Silvermyst

I agree that we are all born pure, what possible reasoning could their be for us to be damned from the time of our conception until such a time that we "prove our worthiness to enter heaven"? It just isn't logical.

Oooooh boy... This is a seriously controversial subject. Every sect of every religion has dealt with something similar to this when forming their core beliefs. Many people believe that we are born pure, but learn sin as children. Some believe that we are sinless as children, and learn sin as an adult. Still others believe that we are born steeped in sin and are damned from conception. (Please no offense at the word in my last sentence, I was using it in its proper context, not in its vulgar usage).In my mind none of these views are particularly sense-making. If we are born sinless, we should have no cause to sin, there should be no appeal in it. However, even the tiniest child is guilty of self-centeredness. Every baby will scream and howl if upset, with no thought at all for the people around. Many babies don't even grasp a separation from their mothers for a few weeks, believing that the entity that feeds them is, in fact, a part of themselves. (Please understand that I am not saying that crying dooms a baby to Hell, I am merely demonstrating my views on why this view is flawed, in my opinion). The theory that children are sinless and innocent is quite obviously wrong. We have all seen children throw tantrums in a store, or hit a fellow child, or lie. No one teaches their children to behave this way, they just do. So obviously a child isn't automatically guiltless on account of their youth. I am not saying God doesn't take into account undeveloped brain function and immaturity, I am merely stating the truth of the matter. This leaves one theory remaining. The theory of us all being born as sinners. The problem with this idea is that it is basically saying we all were capable of sin in our mothers' wombs, and that we already committed it. No fair or just god would judge us on account of what we thought before birth, the idea is ludicrous. So either God isn't just and fair, (and I am not saying he is or isn't, I am simply playing the devil's advocate), or there is a flaw with at least a part of the actual theory. This idea could work if you change around a few things. For example, saying we are all born sinners means we were all born having already sinned, aka, damned. Saying we are all born with a sin nature, or a natural bent towards evil, and a drawing to sin, implies that we all had the capacity to sin soon after birth, but not that we have all sinned at birth and are doomed to destruction forever and ever, blah blah, because of it. This changes the whole concept of the theory. As for the Hell question, I do not think that God would sit up there with a pen and his naughty list checking people off casually to go to Hell, especially in cases of ignorance. If I die and wake up to find that he isn't wise enough to be able to judge people justly and, mercifully, I will be greatly astounded... Though the after death, ever burning Hell, Purgatory, and Cloud-Harp mentality are all similarly fascinating subjects, I shan't delve into them now because, unfortunately, it appears to be 1:30 in the morning here. Wow I feel like a topic post space hog! My apologies for the long post, if any of you would like to chat about something I mentioned here, I would love to have a nice, logical discussion with you later. Simply send me a PM, and I will answer it as soon as possible. In case you are too lazy to look up a few inches to my avi, my name is Ariemea. It was nice stopping by your little discussion. Have a nice rest of the year everyone!  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff