Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Do the words "I love you" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LovetoCauseMayhem

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:58 am
Hm... you know, this is actually a very complicated question.

"I love you"... it used to mean everything to me. I love others, and I love my parents, and I love the people who trust me enough for me to put a hand on their throat - perfect for strangulation if I wished - and I love it when people said it to me. I still do, except for one person.

This person told me he loved me, and then smashed it. He tore me apart, flung me away, and only after the damage was done did he realize what he had done. And even then - four months later - it was too late.

We're friends again now, and he told me that - even through those four months of hatred and anger - he couldn't bring himself to hate me. I hated him though - for a long, accursed time - but then I decided to forgive him. Hatred just takes too much pain, too much work for me.

He told me he still 'loves' me, and I know he does. He's changed who he is - who he is going to become - all for my sake. I know he's different, I know he's not lying. It shows in the very way he stands, the very way he speaks - he's changed who he is. For me. He's defended me, attacked for me, stood by me - because he 'loves' me. He's told me it three times so far, and each time... hurts. It hurts only when HE says it - no one else - and, for the life of me, can't say it back.

I want to tell him not to say it, but I can't bring myself to do it. He's already living with the eternal regret he quite possibly destroyed EVERYTHING we could've had together, and that's enough.

In short... those three little words can hurt, and they can bring more joy than any present or chocolate or memory. But sometimes... "I love you"... just isn't worth the pain that comes with it. It all depends on who its coming from. And if you really WANT to prove you love that person, you'll find a way to SHOW it to them - not through intercourse, either! You gotta be more creative than that. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:33 am
The words can be meaningful, but in themselves, don't really have a fixed meaning. I can say I love you to my family, and it means I appreciate the things that you've done for me. I can say I love you to close friends, and it means I like having you around and you mean a lot to me. If I say I love you to a boyfriend (only one so far) it means both of the above, but also with an underlying passion and attraction. You can also say 'I love chocolate' or a film or things like that, and it's merely a strong like. I love you can also be used to tear someone down if the words aren't followed up with actions or people's actions or attitudes change without good reason.

I think the words themselves aren't the important part, it's what's behind them that matters.  

Zzyli

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100

Twilight Hound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:31 pm
Words are meaningless unless you give them meaning.

For example, if someone insults you, you have a choice of ignoring it because you don't care what they say. Or you could be hurt by their words.

I see this as the same situation :3

EDIT: Whoa! ^^ My thoughts exactly! I was below you in the other thread too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:22 am
it depends on how a person delivers it to you.
it kinda' comes naturally. if he means it, then he does. but when it shows that he doesn't then it worth NOTHING to me.  

s e 7 e n_x

Bashful Fatcat

Bleu_Fyre

350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:39 am
I go back and forth with how I feel about love. For the most part, I feel it's something (such as a feeling) that most people can't fully accomplish. Love is one of the most wonderful feelings in the world. Having your heart broken is one of the most painful. There's a difference in the two feelings and mostly everyone gets the two confused, thinking that when you get your heart broken it's because of love.
Anyway...other times I feel like a villainess from the Hercules series. She once said, "Love is a trick to make you breed." LOL I love it! I don't always agree, but I can see where that seems true. However, love doesn't have much to do with being physical/intimate with someone, (such as having sex with someone). It's a lot of different feelings and the such. Just a few to point out are, accepting someone for who they are, being faithful, etc. I had some other examples, but I just woke up, so I'm a bit groggy, still. lol So, yeah. That's a brief bit about how I feel about love.

I know a lot of people have been hurt with relationships (including me), but it's not love to blame, and there's love in all sorts of people and things. I notice that there are a lot more broken hearts out there, than I realized, and most associate pain with love. Remember: Love is what keeps good people going and the world alive. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:37 pm
I don't say "I love you" unless I mean it. For me I didn't say I love my b/f until I was ready and it came out naturally. Today there are many people who say it and dont' really mean it. I think it deterimines on the person, if it really means something to them.

People says I love this song...that means something different. For a person it should have a meaning, but it determines on the person.  

Kotori82

7,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Aliareana

Frozen Bunny

16,650 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:48 pm
I never used those words lightly. I surround myself with intelligent, respectful, and self-respecting people. "I love you" means everying to me, because in my small world those words aren't ever overused. They are cherished and only said when they are meant.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:52 am
"I love you" can mean a variety of things to me. Love is kind of a hard concept to grasp, in all honesty. Sometimes, it can be used in a fake fashion, which is what I'm used to. Other times, it can describe a relationship between true friends, lovers, etc... It all depends on whom I hear the phrase from. It gives more meaning to it, if I have the same emotions.  

PeachOsaurus

Sir Skull Face

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:42 pm
"If love be rough with you, be rough with love"

Well the word's have been used up to many time's now. Mainly using it without any meaning into it or to the person they are saying it to. So now I am sick of hearing the phrase and I try to deafen myself when I hear it.... yeahh....

"p***k love for pricking, and you beat love down"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:33 am
To me, they're a promise, a commitment. Let's just say I would never date anyone I could not say those words to, and I wouldn't say them to anyone I couldn't imagine marrying. If I say them, I mean them to the highest extent. I hate it that people throw them around so much, they're serious, and shouldn't be taken lightly.  

Tarantellatears

Aikoginshika

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:24 pm
Hm. Intresting question. I think it has to do with the person saying it, and the person hearing it. I think its horribly overused, and in that way, its lost some of its meaning, but I think that if YOU keep its meaning, then the meaning is still there. Ya know?

Hate is a stong word. But LOVE is just as stong and people throw it around like its nothing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:55 pm
it depends on who says it and to whom..... it also depends on how they say it.....

if it's said and meant to me, it makes me feel really happy and bubbly  

cherryblossomgirlsakura

green_my_fav

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:16 pm
To me, I think it depends on how and when you say it... heart  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:51 pm
I'd honestly have to agree with pretty much everyone, these words lose meaning over time.

But there are times when they can mean so much more.

For me, it's always depended on who I hear the words from. I like to say I love you, because I honestly love a lot of people. But I love most of them differently. I love you seems to mean so little to most people, but to me, it means too many different things.

To be IN love with someone is completely different from loving them. Normally, when my friends say they love me, I believe them. They love me. But they love me as a friend. When my family says they love me, I believe them. But they love me as a sister, granddaughter, aunt, or a cousin. When my boyfriend says he loves me, I believe him. He loves me. And I know he loves me in a way none of the others love me. (That I know of, anyway.)

So for me, it all depends on how it's said, who says it, and why they're saying it. I hope that made sense. 3nodding  

Little Miss Codine

Slirpez

1,800 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:41 am
I say this only to the people I feel deeply for. If I were to say them to other people it would be only for joking, which I guess can make the words lose their meaning.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff