Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What's scarier: Eternal life, or death? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Infectious Bowel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:18 pm
I would rather die than live forever...but both ideas scare the pee out of me.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:50 pm
I find it difficult to fear death. Fearing death is like fearing sleep, and I'm sure we've all done that once or twice, and faced no ill repercussions. I just hope I die in a particularly interesting manner. I led an exciting life, by dammit, I want an exciting death! xd I'd probably get tired of eternal life after a while, but I'm not afraid of it either. It would just piss me off. I will welcome the cool grip of Death when he comes to collect his due.  

ChaosAngel1421

kris623

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:48 am
Eternal life kinda scares me, knowing that everybody around you will fade away (die) after a certain time, and becoming a lone wolf,
I would rather die, but not to young!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:14 pm
It all depends upon what you fear.
Eternal life would be scarier if you faced something worse than this one.
On the other hand, if you fear this world and nothing or something better awaits you, then of course death will not be as bad as eternal life in this world.

Wait, it really depends upon what you mean by eternal life. Do you mean in this world, or a better/worse place we go after death? Your views on that subject will decide how you feel about them really. confused  

aecy

Aged Noob

11,125 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Tycoon 200

Mickey Irish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 am
well facing death is something that everyone has to come to terms with no matter what, and even though its a scary thing to think about, its a basic part of life and one of the only for sure things that will ever happen... Now immortality is scarier in my opinion, because one, you will never have that last piece of closure to your lifelong endevours, two, you would be constantly changing (the one thing humans tend to be scared of the most), three, on a long enough time line you will always be alone, and four, you will constantly be in the unknown with no set social or worldly guidlines to follow, essentially become a very odd insane shell of a person. All emotions become irrelevant, since you will experience so much that being jaded is not an option, camp fire stories will always be repetitive and not interesting since you have heard them all, and you will lose complete concept of time. Lets also not forget what happens if you are condemned to death and hung or something of the sorts, you will just hang there forever until the rope breaks, and that would suck. Maybe a well rounded 900 years or so would be better. not to mention, your brain would eventually forget things and in the end you would be lucky to retain any memories on specific events or even your parents.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:09 am
eternal life is far more frightening, nor am I afraid of death in any way as not having the burden of all the responibilities you have in life seems appealing to me.  

Oornin

Master Bei Shin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:23 pm
all i know is, if I'm going out, I'm going out with a fight, and I'll take death down with me if i have to. I completely accept my fate.

also, eternal life would be terrible, every one you know would die eventually, you would have no reason to live, but you can't die, it would suck.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:26 pm
i think that because we only live for a short time, people fear death,but if people lived forever, they would fear eternal life  

Pyrotheist

Gran Rey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:22 pm
Neither death nor eternal life really scare me. I just prefer death because eternal life sounds boring.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:45 pm
..Well Both ideas are a tad bit scary. I would prefer to die and rest in peace then live forever and get bored..Tho if you do think about it, As you live on, You wouldent get bored if you learn about everything around you, You would be the best historian, because you lived through it, hehe If you become a teach and teach history... it would be ironic if one of your students start saying "..that teacher knows alot about history..because he lived throught it HAHAH LOL LOL HAHAHA *poke and make fun* HAHAHA"... But living forever can make you feel lonely..i mean you could see all the people you love die...over and over again..thats jsut SCARY...now...what would happen if the person you love.....is with you forever.....thats not that bad right?...but you would get bored....now death has been viewed as the eternal rest right?... We all love to sleep...imagine being in a state of bliss...you would be sleeping forever with no worries of what to come..I vote for death......but eternal life...is not ALL that bad..  

XanXives

Little Skana

Flip-Flopper

44,900 Points
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:21 am
afraid or not? Everyone is heading for the same finish line. Live life to the fullest.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:45 am
Hmmm.....I would think death would be scarier because no one really knows how they are going to die....or for that matter what it would be like to die....Eternal Life wouldn't be bad as long as you lived your life well....as in maybe helping others and trying to make the world a better place....  

jambare

7,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Axen Axiel

4,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:39 am
I know people are afraid of death and all but that comes no closer then what would happen if you could live forever. Living for eternity is not all that it is cracked up to be. Say you accepted immortality, fine. Now you will never change while you watch your family age, die, and then watch their kids, grow, then die. Over and over again until your line finally dies out.And who's to say that you would stay the complete same? Just because you can't die doesn't mean that you would automatically regenerate anything that had happen to you. You may be going through eternity with only one arm or half a face. Also you would be lonely because you couldn't have a lover that would stay with you. Then one day after finding so many lovers, you catch AIDS. But you can't die so you live in agony forever with this disease.

But that wouldn't be the main problem. Over time with absolutely nothing to do you may join a few wars just to entertain yourself. Then as the years go by you start to go insane. You start wars and slaughter people just for entertainment and why not? You know that they will repopulate so you can come back and kill them again. Then after finally snapping you destroy everything on earth then just to try and end it all you enter a space shuttle, fly into space for other planets with life on them Or you fly yourself to the sun or a black hole and live for eternity baking on the sun. No one knows what happens in a black hole so who knows there.

So all in all death is a necessity that should be kept and people shouldn't be too afraid of them. Yes your loved ones will be left behind but you will see them again as in a sense, you are only in a peaceful sleep.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:21 pm
I think that eternal life is worse because... Could you imagine everyone you ever made friends with dieing around you all the time while you still get to live .. It would be kinda selfish in my opinon...  

kyoshiro2

DarklingWitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:49 pm
The answer to this questions really depends upon what you mean by "eternal life".

Death is a gateway to a form of immortality. To me, all life comes from a source and returns to that same source in the end, or it moves on as its own individual sentient energy. I personally believe the path of "eternal life" is much tougher than just accepting the notion of dying and returning to the One. After all, "eternal life" means that you are going forward on your own and refusing to accept the terms and conditions and therefore the security of having the one to return to.

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff