Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Do the words "I love you" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Goddess-Azuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:57 am
what a lot of people here seem to not realize is that there is more then just one kind of love. though it is true the phrase is a bit overused, it's not something to be restricted to the love of your life or your parents. do you not feel love for a pet, or your closest friends?
Mr. Dictionary says:

" a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend. "

and i think the reason the phrase is used so much is because they want to feel it. though people often say they can survive alone with no one else it's impossible. they will crave love even if they don't realize it at first.

everyone wants to find that person, whether as a lover, a friend, or even family. people desire that special connection more then anything

which to me is why the phrase is used so much, people want it so bad that they use it on anything, to make themselves feel like they are surrounded in love rather then a darker reality.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:57 pm
people say i love you to friends (and i do to sometimes), people say it to family, and they say it to their bf/gf/spouse. so i think its how you say it. like, i know when i say it to my family, i usually say "love you/ya" and with friends i say it in some random voice, like "i loooove u!" (sorry, kinda hard to type that... xd ). but if, for example, your bf/gf gives you a card and it says i love you in it (esp. if they've never said it to you before), then it is what it really means...i think
so, in one sense, yes people use those words a lot, but you have to take into account how they say them  

une_pomme_verte

Falling Cupcakes x3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:14 pm
i say 'i love you' to my friends quite a bit but it really depends who's saying it, and what's happening for example if i was sad and crying or something friends say 'i love you' and you know they mean it and it feels good, however if they do something silly and they know it and that's why you love them... you tell them you love them and it just reminds them all the more... but even when the guy i like tells me he loves me in a friend way... i feel good, i just do, but then i remember that he doesnt really /love/ me... but its ok, because i know other people do, and they let me know it with those words so they do mean an awful lot  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:42 pm
"I love you" is what I say to my family when I feel my heart press against my chest with gratitude that these people are in my life.
It comes upon me unexpectedly. Not when I want something, not when I've gotten something, but when they are just there, doing whatever it is they do, and I realize how much I love having them as my family.
I also say it to my friends. We've shared a connection and it just comes out. I love having them around me, and that alone is enough.

People use that phrase to manipulate others, but saying it to someone when you really, honestly mean it gives you more joy than hearing it.
If someone only says it when you ask for it, then it isn't genuine. It's only genuine when it is not requested.  

ScardyG

4,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Karunoshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:03 pm
"I love you" is supposed to have meaning and when used right it does. But most of the time when people say it there's no deep meaning at all. And sometimes it's used way too much and looses all meaning completely.

I don't say "I love you" to my parents really. It's sad, we just say goodnight and say "Be careful" and "Don't get in too much trouble" though that's to me. The only people I say I love you is to friends and one ex lover who I really did love.

Now though he changes his myspace name (cursed site I know but I have to keep in touch with my friends) to "-insert name here- loves -insert girlfriend's name here-" in like the first day. It pisses me off so much because now I remember how I used to say "I love you" to him with meaning and he'd just laugh.

Now I only say "I love you" in place of "goodnight" to my friends though always my best friend.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:27 pm
Honestly, you can't say that it doesn't mean anything anymore or that it is important.

It depends on who says it to you and how it is said.

That is what makes them important or... dreadful.

Tasty Crayons

Fake Aorta

5,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:04 pm
If it's my girlfriend then yes it means something. If it's a guy friend who isn't hitting on me then yes, it means soemthing. But in a different way.

When friends say it, it's usually when they're laughing because of something you did or said. And it means that they have your back and that if you need to talk then they will listen.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:43 pm
yes they can be used and overused too much but I think they can be said with sincerity and truth... I know when I say it to my love I mean it! that is the only times they should be used  

last angel served

Silver Melodies

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:54 am
"I love you" has, sadly, become overused in these modern times. Its become a phrase that people say off-handedly. I only say to those who I care about when I actually mean it.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:49 pm
The expression "I love you" is such a valuable saying to me. The only people I say it to is my boyfriend (whom I do love with all of my heart) and my family (whom I also love truly and unconditionally). I think the only person I say I love you to is my boyfriend's mom because she says it first so I kinda feel obliged to say it back. She's nice and everything... but I think "love" is a little too intense for my relationship with her.  

Illusionist of Heart

Sanutamar

Man-Hungry Vampire

13,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:34 am
The words "I love you" don't have much meaning to people anymore.

People say that hate is a strong word, but so is love, and people throw it around like a piece of trash nowadays. No one thinks about it.

I have to say though, "Love you" and "I love you" are two seperate things. To say "I love you", one must first learn to say the "I". Sure, a lot of my friends say "Love you" but only my family and boyfriend say "I love you" to me. So it's a bit more special to me. I know, I'm weird that way. And I only say I love you to my boyfriend (Whom I love with all my heart and soul) and my family (Who I love just as much).

Also, it depends on how they say it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:41 pm
Depends on who says it and if they really mean it,
friends: "Your my bestest friend! I love youuuuu!" Doesn't mean much.
Family: "I love you" I know they mean it but its lost meaning just because I hear it 24/7, get annoying.

Bumblefish

49dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:38 pm
the words "i love you" means to me to me to love and show love  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:16 pm
I think the word "I Love You" Means when someone gives you themselves, thre heart and there word that they whould never hurt you, or try and do anything not to make you cry.
But sometimes people use those words wrongly. There are people out there, that use the word in a difrent way either in lust to get lust, or in a lying snake in the grass sort of way in wrong terms. Those are th people you have worry about that say that, But love can be so blind and deaf we often don't see these things.  

Danse-de-Macabre

Sparkly Prophet

Raikage15blade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:04 pm
Depends on many things..
1. Who
(ex:If parents, well just like thanks for taking caring of me.)
2. When/Mood
(ex: Romantic=awesome... somewhere plain=meh?)

But I agree, its kinda overused.
Sometimes its real, sometimes its fake. I just wish when people say 'I love you' who are fake shouldn't have went out with the person in the first place. And if it is real..well awesome. wink

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff