Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
Plagarism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NaxreXIV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:46 pm
I'm doing a study on an ancient culture for my humanitis class, and us students must write out an essay for every important aspect of the culture. For the paper on architecture, I accidently sent in the generic background from Wikipedia (I always copy them down so I have a basic look at it) as my own writing, and now my teacher thinks I did it on purpose. I can't find the actual essay -which I know I wrote- on my home computer or school account, and she won't give me a chance to redeem myself. What makes it worse, my teacher called my parents about it, but since our phone isn't working they don't know, and since progress reports are coming out next week, I'm sick to my stomach in fear of a parent-teacher-student conference. I don't want my parents to worry about my school life.

(...God, I hate charter schools.) It doesn't matter now, though. I've pretty much given up all hope. I'm not even sure if my efforts amount to anything anymore.
Any advice for this unlucky f@#$-up?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:51 pm
NaxreXIV
I'm doing a study on an ancient culture for my humanitis class, and us students must write out an essay for every important aspect of the culture. For the paper on architecture, I accidently sent in the generic background from Wikipedia (I always copy them down so I have a basic look at it) as my own writing, and now my teacher thinks I did it on purpose. I can't find the actual essay -which I know I wrote- on my home computer or school account, and she won't give me a chance to redeem myself. What makes it worse, my teacher called my parents about it, but since our phone isn't working they don't know, and since progress reports are coming out next week, I'm sick to my stomach in fear of a parent-teacher-student conference. I don't want my parents to worry about my school life.

(...God, I hate charter schools.) It doesn't matter now, though. I've pretty much given up all hope. I'm not even sure if my efforts amount to anything anymore.
Any advice for this unlucky f@#$-up?

thats pure bad luck. what i suggest you do, is to find the original essay, and talk to your parents. is better if they hear it from you than the teacher. Hopefully this will all get fixed.  

Anabethe

daggblu4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 pm
i had a similar case back in college, too!! whew, i wasn't the only one. i gathered my sources, and cited them in order. we were required to highlight parts where we glean our ideas from. so i paraphrased, like you did, in my own words to get an idea how i want to write it. i forgot to cite it per paragraph/ location and my professor thought i plagarized. she confronted me and in all my innocence i denied plagarism. i explained it was an accident. btw, during the draft, i handed in copies of original documents so she def. saw where i got the ideas. i also retorted i wasn't stupid enough to copy and give her the original. i simply forgot to refine my paraphrasing (forgetting i still needed to fix that and just handed my half assed paraphrasing). she gave me an account of what will happen to me if she presents my case to the dean. i don't she ever did coz i never heard a word from school. but i got a 'D' for the semester. i got another plagarism situation another semester, but out mere carelessness where my words clashed definitions adn my prof. thought i copied and mixed ideas w/ my own. but, as for you, you need to at least find the original, as per meleny7, and present them to convince them its entirely your own and it was innocently accidental. good luck. i feel for you cry  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:24 pm
First of all, tell your parents. If they hear it from the teacher first, they'll think you're lying. Next, you should try very hard to find the original. Of course, I assume you already have. Ask the teacher if you can re-write it. It will be bothersome, but it may be your only choice.

I know how you feel. Since you've already written it once, it will be much easier and faster the second time. If she is unwilling to accept it, go to a counselor and explain the situation. Perhaps they will understand and make the teacher accept it.

If all this fails, then you're going to have to accept that there is nothing you can do. It is very unfair, but sometimes it cannot be helped. If the counselor doesn't believe you, perhaps you can print out this conversation as proof.  

Guardian1239

kyoshiro2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:59 pm
Guardian1239
First of all, tell your parents. If they hear it from the teacher first, they'll think you're lying. Next, you should try very hard to find the original. Of course, I assume you already have. Ask the teacher if you can re-write it. It will be bothersome, but it may be your only choice.

I know how you feel. Since you've already written it once, it will be much easier and faster the second time. If she is unwilling to accept it, go to a counselor and explain the situation. Perhaps they will understand and make the teacher accept it.

If all this fails, then you're going to have to accept that there is nothing you can do. It is very unfair, but sometimes it cannot be helped. If the counselor doesn't believe you, perhaps you can print out this conversation as proof.

This is good but one thing I have a problem...
Teachers and parents don't really trust online evidence... Well Becuase it can be made up and false you're only way you could posibably redem your innocence is if you find the essay you typed up and it has a date on the file proving you completed the document before the hand in date...  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games