Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

monsterpigeon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:57 pm
i am a proud pagan, and im just wondering if theres any others out there:]  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:17 am
um... I am not so sure this si supposed to be in this subforum. you are not really discussing anything or giving a philosophy.......  

azrael the reaper_95210

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:22 pm
I walked the pagan path for a good # of years, but I've given up in trying to believe in any personal deities. now there is no single label I adhere to myself.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:06 pm
azrael the reaper
um... I am not so sure this si supposed to be in this subforum. you are not really discussing anything or giving a philosophy.......

dear azrael, i was just wondering if there were any and, if anybody replies that they are, i merely want to discuss the different views/branches of paganism.  

monsterpigeon

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:21 pm
monsterpigeon
azrael the reaper

dear azrael, i was just wondering if there were any and, if anybody replies that they are, i merely want to discuss the different views/branches of paganism.

where else in the forums would such be appropriate? I mean questions about god and religion abound on this sub-forum. seems to make the most sense to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:52 pm
Calypsophia
monsterpigeon
azrael the reaper

where else in the forums would such be appropriate? I mean questions about god and religion abound on this sub-forum. seems to make the most sense to me.

I suppose this is the right place......... srry..... i was a bit tired when I posted that.........  

azrael the reaper_95210

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:15 am
As opposed to waiting for someone to come out and say "I'm a pagan too!" , we should probably just begin the/a discussion.

Monster? What are your personal beliefs? Are you nature worshipping? A deist of sorts?

Anyone else have an opinion on the New Age belief systems? That's what this thread really is, after all.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:43 am
Mmmmmwell, myself, I suppose the closest thing I am is an amalgamation of Shinto and Zen Buddhist, with a little soupcon of Irish/Scotts Wiccan tossed on top.

What all that means is:

1) I believe that everything, not simply man, is ensouled/enspirited, and that under the right circumstances the spirit can be awakened. I've simply known too many machines that did things they ought not to have been able to do. For example, in high school I had an old Dodge Dart. One day it refused to start. I sat there trying to crank it till I was nearly frantic because I was late getting home and everyone had already left for the day. Abruptly the car started perfectly well and drove home without a hitch. Told my dad about it and he went out to see what was wrong.

Turned out there was a hole in the carburator big enough for him to put his little finger through without effort, and my dad wasn't a small man-- he was a little over six feet tall and reasonably muscular, having been a career Army man and then working as a carpenter after mustering out. Point is, the car should not have started at all. But it did, as if it felt my distress and wanted to help.

2) I believe in the Buddhist kharmic ideals:
First, action really is happening -- it's not an illusion.
Second, you really are responsible for your actions. There's no outside force like the stars or some good or evil being acting through you. When you're conscious, you're the one who decides what to do.
Third, your actions have results -- you're not just writing on the water -- and those results can be good or bad depending on the quality of the intention behind the act.

3) I believe that there is a governing force/forces in the universe-- a Universal Source, if you will-- but it/they/he/she is a Teacher, not a Ruler. We are set on the path of enlightenment and whether or not we advance is up to us, though if the going gets too hard there are hands there waiting to help us through the rough points. Perhaps 'Parents' might be a good term as well.

But just as everyone of us is different, each path is a little different. My exact belief system (and the italics are intentional here) will not work for anyone else. If someone generally thinks what I'm saying makes sense, that's fine. But we must all find our own individual ways forward, really a lot like walking a path... you follow the general direction, but you're not going to be matching the exact steps the person in front of you made. I have no right to compel anyone to believe exactly what I believe. The very nature of our differences makes us all special and equally worthy of polite consideration. However, if we abuse that consideration, I reserve the right to stop listening.  

Kori Al-Djin

3,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Je Suis La Vie

Liberal Millionaire

5,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:06 pm
monsterpigeon
i am a proud pagan, and im just wondering if theres any others out there:]

That would depend on what you believe paganism is, some classify it as any religion that is not of the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam). If that is your view, than I am, I am a Buddhist. Others believe it to be spiritual or cultic practices or beliefs of any folk religion, and of historical and contemporary polytheistic religions in particular. If this is your view, then I'm not...lol biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:30 am
Paganism (from Latin paganus, meaning "country dweller, rustic") is a term which, from a Western perspective, has come to connote a broad set of spiritual or cultic practices or beliefs of any folk religion, and of historical and contemporary polytheistic religions in particular.

The term can be defined broadly, to encompass the faith traditions outside the Abrahamic monotheistic group of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. The group so defined includes many of the Eastern religions, Native American religions and mythologies and as well as non-Abrahamic ethnic religions in general. More narrow definitions will not include any of the world religions and restrict the term to local or rural currents not organized as civil religions. Characteristic of pagan traditions is the absence of proselytism and the presence of a living mythology which explains religious practice.[1]

The term "pagan" is a Christian adaptation of the "gentile" of Judaism, and as such has an inherent Christian or Abrahamic bias, and pejorative connotations among Westerners,[2] comparable to heathen, and infidel, mushrik and kafir (كافر) in Islam. For this reason, ethnologists avoid the term "paganism," with its uncertain and varied meanings, in referring to traditional or historic faiths, preferring more precise categories such as polytheism, shamanism, pantheism, or animism.

Since the later 20th century, "Pagan" or "Paganism" has become widely used as a self-designation by adherents of Neopaganism  

King Robert Silvermyst

zoncki_cara

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:41 pm
yes, i'm a proud pagan. i follow more of the old greek teachings combined with the celtics. I have only been one for two years though, so i'm still exploring the other parts of the religion  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 pm
I describe myself as a Kemetic Pagan (or Neopagan, I guess that's the proper term), which means I honor the Ancient Egyptian gods. Though lately I've stopped physically practicing my religion (meaning, I haven't been giving offerings or putting up a shrine). Instead, I've just been talking to the gods with prayer, and leaving it at that. Sometimes I go through periods where I am deeply religious, other times I don't have that much faith. I think it's all part of the cycle of growing and changing.  

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

Kyakume

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:50 pm
I'm Pagan! Neopagan to be precise. I'm pretty new to this religion because I just converted from Christianity. Any tips for a newbie?

P.S. Who's gonna celebrate the Midsummer Solstice coming up? I am!  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games