Question for all you forum-goers.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nariko914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:50 pm
I think I have a really good question.

Why is it that when someone creates a post about depression or other serious problems, only two people reply...

....and when someone makes a post saying "omg i liek dis boy wut should i do?", basically everyone replies?

Call me spiteful, but I really think there should be a set of priorities in here. I agree, most people have more experience with "boy troubles" than with depression, which is most likely why so many more answer. But things like depression are much more serious than "boy troubles," and if you really want to help people, those are the kinds of posts we should all be looking at.

Boys come and go. Suicide and depression can last a lifetime.

And yes, if you must send me hate comments, go ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 pm
Bump.

I also wanted to add that it's fine to help with relationship problems, but again....if someone makes a post about suicide, that should be the first one that one visits. They need help immediately...not after you've reassured the poster above that they should ask the boy they like out.

Nariko914

DvnT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:11 pm
i agree, oh and thanks for posting in my forum..... your really kool....>.<  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:39 pm
I try to post in every topic I can to help but usually Calypso or someone else I look up to in advice giving pops in before me so I don't want to add anything on and risk giving stupid advice, and yes bad advice can be worse than no advice at all, other times I just can't think of anything to say to help so that's somewhat my reason sweatdrop  

Nerevar Fatehand

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:22 pm
I only post in threads who's topics I have experience with and feel I can help. and for the most, I avoid the topics concerning liking the guy/gal at school.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:07 pm
Nerevar Fatehand
I try to post in every topic I can to help but usually Calypso or someone else I look up to in advice giving pops in before me so I don't want to add anything on and risk giving stupid advice, and yes bad advice can be worse than no advice at all, other times I just can't think of anything to say to help so that's somewhat my reason sweatdrop

lol same here.  

Anabethe

QUW00SH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:48 pm
because many ppl dont kno what advise 2 give to a person in serious depression, and a lot more know about "boy troubles"  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:11 am
Nerevar Fatehand

aww, well thanx! and you're right, bad advice is a lot worse than none at all, which is why I avoid those topics I have little knowledge on.  

Calypsophia

Lalou Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:18 pm
Saphire1579
because many ppl dont kno what advise 2 give to a person in serious depression, and a lot more know about "boy troubles"

I agree. Because depression is so much more serious it's a lot more difficult to know how to advise on it. A lot of times it's an issue that a professional should get involved with, whereas, it's a lot easier to just throw out any old bit of advice or personal history at "boy troubles." What people could do, though, is maybe express a bit of empathy to let the depressed know that they're, at least, not the only ones.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:35 pm
horatio7714
Saphire1579

I agree. Because depression is so much more serious it's a lot more difficult to know how to advise on it. A lot of times it's an issue that a professional should get involved with, whereas, it's a lot easier to just throw out any old bit of advice or personal history at "boy troubles." What people could do, though, is maybe express a bit of empathy to let the depressed know that they're, at least, not the only ones.

That's more or less what I meant. If you see a topic about someone who is depressed, maybe share with them a similar experience you've had, or tell them that you're there to listen.

I suffer from depression, but I don't know everything about it, which is why I tell those who post such things that they should always seek a medical professional.

But to help it a long a little, us in the forums can send them a funny link or just let them know we care. That can help more than you think. 3nodding

Nariko914

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:12 pm
I dont know any funny links to be honest with you. the threads are for advice, not feel-good links. if you want to make the person feel good, send something to them via PM, that would be cool.

edit: also, sending someone a PM to try to make them feel better would have a more personal touch anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 am
I try and post on every topic. I don't know much about boys, in fact thats usauly what I go to the least. I actuly have problems with romance! But I go to all forms and try and give advice. I post on as many as I can. But your right... That is a good question!  

TashiaGirl

Ryoukai

6,550 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:36 am
Most people are scared to give bad advice. I know I don't want to take responsibility for something I'm not trained to do. I believe that major depression needs to be taken to a counselor, not a forum. Unfortunately a lot of people are also scared to go to a counselor, so they prefer to post on a forum of their peers..

I do think it's good to give some encouraging words, but it's probably best, in more serious cases, to encourage the person to go to a counselor.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games