Pokemon Battle Revolution ; 100 Courtyard Colosseum Battles

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:46 am
As y'all may or may not be aware, I've been working on obtaining... well, stuff. Maybe everything. Recently I mentioned that I obtained all the TMs and was working on berries. (You might also recall my frisking, thieving Stantler, but that's for the future...)

Anyways, a handful of berries are most easily obtained by purchase in Pokemon Battle Revolution. (I believe there are ways to obtain them in the 3rd gen but the few online guides I've peeked at are a bit ambiguous, I suppose.) However, since the berries are a "Mystery Gift" item in Pokemon Battle Revolution, that means they have to be unlocked first.

Yesterday, I decided to go ahead and unlock the Starf Berry. This is done by beating all 100 battles in the Courtyard Colosseum. Now, I did it in a single try, but that was a lengthy and stressful endeavor. Took something like six or seven hours of straight play-through. I'm glad I won't have to do it again. Let me explain what exactly this entails for those of you not in the know.

As you might expect, this involves battling 100 trainers back-to-back. The immediate source of stress is that you are not automatically healed in-between battles. Instead, a "stop the spinning wheel" mechanism decides how you will be healed:

-Nothing happens
-Status fixed for one pokemon
-Status fixed for all pokemon
-HP healed for one pokemon
-HP healed for all pokemon
-PP healed for one pokemon
-PP healed for all pokemon
-Item recovered for one pokemon
-Items recovered for all pokemon
-Full recovery for one pokemon
-Full recovery for all pokemon

As you can see, with most of those options being useless most of the time, you can become really screwed over by this mechanism, even if you have a rough idea on how to manipulate the wheel.

Now, at first, it's not so bad. Your opponents are only allowed to use one or two members of their teams. I think which of those it is depends entirely upon whether or not you chose SINGLES or DOUBLES. I chose DOUBLES so let me go ahead and talk in terms of DOUBLES, all right?

Every 10th round will be against Kruger, the Colosseum Leader for the Courtyard Colosseum. The number of pokemon your opponent uses are occasionally increased here until up to 5 pokemon at allowed to be used. (It doesn't reach the full 6.)

At the beginning of each battle, there's a random chance that the "fog" weather effect will automatically start up. In addition, while trainers are easy at first, they'll use more and more powerful pokemon against you, with the final battles featuring the occasional powerful uber such as Groudon or Dialga.

I should also mention that each battle automatically starts out sending your leading two pokemon into battle. You don't get to choose the order of pokemon you send out.

Now, here's what I did in order to get through it and my thoughts on the effectiveness of each strategy.

My team was a Kyogre-themed ubers team featuring Kyogre and Palkia as the main leads, primary switch-ins of Dialga and Giratina, Mewtwo for potential revenge killing and type coverage, and Ninjask because I needed a sixth, expendable pokemon (although his ability to pass excellent stat boosts as well as hit a couple tricky-to-hit pokemon for Super Effective were a sort-of bonus.)

Now, this provides for the following advantages:

-Kyogre's Drizzle completely overrides the fog ability.

-Kyogre's Water Spout is powerful, able to completely knock out both of the opponent's pokemon, sometimes even when they resisted it. This allowed for minimal damage taken and minimal PP usage.

-Palkia pairs well with Kyogre, also taking advantage of double water STAB (thanks to rain) and cover types the Choice Scarfed Kyogre couldn't handle.

-Thunder never misses in rain, which was very helpful against Double Teamers

-Dialga and Giratina, being particularly meaty pokemon, are really well suited for switching in and not taking much damage.

-Later on, with the opponents using powerful legendary pokemon, it's necessary to have some of your own in order to handle them.

-Singe Kyogre+Choice Scarf and a +Speed Palkia are able to sweep all the opponent's pokemon without setup and before they have a chance to attack, you're able to keep between-match recovery to PP only, making it feasible to fully heal yourself between every battle.

Now, I imagine there are other teams that could do the trick. The ability to deal with fog by nullifying it with your own weather conditions would seem to be a huge signal to stick with a weather-altering pokemon and to build the team based upon that:

-Kyogre, naturally, makes it rain forever. You'll want a water-based lead and for lots of your pokemon to hold Thunder.

-Groudon makes it always sunny. I suppose a fire-based team would be good here, but Groudon might not be a great team player.

-Sandstorm teams are quite painful, using monsterous pokemon like Garchomp and Tyranitar. There might be some potential here, although I wonder if Tyranitar can depend on Garchomp enough to not take damage too fast? (If you're damaged

-Hail teams which lead with Abomasnow and use Blizzard... could be painful.

-You could also lead with a weather-locking pokemon. Golduck is a simple example of one (his Cloud Nine ability) but he's a rather weak pokemon. I guess this task would actually fall on Rayquaza, who would be quite potent on a team.

Yeah, I think having those meaty ubers in the back was also very important. Sometimes Kyogre and Palkia would take too much damage (or use too much PP) in order to finish off the opponent's current two pokemon... the option to switch to these reserves was quite important.

Shedinja is noteworthy. Kyogre + Palkia leads cannot damage it at all, not without investing in a move they normally wouldn't have. We absolutely cannot forget that this pokemon exists.

Hmmm... I guess my post is more "random thought" than I originally intended... have any of y'all completed the Courtyard Colosseum yet? Thoughts on what it'd take?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:40 pm
o_o' Nice guide here. I've beaten it on my first try as well, mostly with expert timing on the healing wheel thing. I wasn't aware of what I was getting myself into, but my non-legendary team was still enough for the challenges. XD ... It sure was horribly time consuming though. Had I lost somewhere during that run though, that would've been... ._.;; rather stressful having to go through all those battles again.

Honestly, I haven't touched my PBR game in a loooong time, and I haven't really been playing my Diamond much either.. ._.;;; Got bored of breeding Eevees for good IVs.. @_@ And I'm not sure what to make of the allowed usage of legendaries as well.. I usually don't work with legendaries at all, so.. ._.;;

Also, I don't quite frequent in this guild much... or.. rather at all.. x_o; I just felt like dropping by since I sort of noticed this sub-forum while browsing through my guilds. XD

Locke Trufeld

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:39 am
Locke Trufeld
o_o' Nice guide here. I've beaten it on my first try as well, mostly with expert timing on the healing wheel thing. I wasn't aware of what I was getting myself into, but my non-legendary team was still enough for the challenges. XD ... It sure was horribly time consuming though. Had I lost somewhere during that run though, that would've been... ._.;; rather stressful having to go through all those battles again.

Honestly, I haven't touched my PBR game in a loooong time, and I haven't really been playing my Diamond much either.. ._.;;; Got bored of breeding Eevees for good IVs.. @_@ And I'm not sure what to make of the allowed usage of legendaries as well.. I usually don't work with legendaries at all, so.. ._.;;

Also, I don't quite frequent in this guild much... or.. rather at all.. x_o; I just felt like dropping by since I sort of noticed this sub-forum while browsing through my guilds. XD

You know, my brother recently bred 6 good IV Eevees and it only took him something like... a month, maybe, to do it? Maybe faster? IV Dittos are the key. 3nodding

But, yeah, it really does take some patience in order to continue to IV breed, IV breed, IV breed... at least it isn't stressful like the 100 battle survival.

So, on that note, I'm curious which pokemon you used. smile (Assuming you check this forum again, hehehe.)  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:55 pm
Well.. ._. I guess my issue is getting that Ditto with good IVs. I'm half tempted to find someone who can hack me a Ditto with full 31 IVs or something.. XD I've never reached towards hacking my game ever though, and I'd feel uncertain about something like that as well.. but.. yeah. @_@

Honestly, I'd gladly take battles over mass breeding. I'd be actually doing something with what I've accomplished through all the mass breeding and EV training and such, which should be very satisfying, provided that the team turns out as well as you'd hope.

As for my team, ... I forgot which 6 I used, but the two main Pokemon I used were Salamence and Gengar in a Double Battle. They're my ultimate sweeping team. o_o Salamence has... I believe Aerial Ace, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, and Rock Slide.. was it? ... I don't really remember now, but.. yeah. Choice Band, plus full Attack stat gives it the power it needs to OHKO most things. Gengar on the other hand has... Shadow Ball, Psychic, Giga Drain, and... Sludge Bomb, I believe. They were originally created in Emerald though, so their original movesets were changed from there.

Sweeping is just the fastest way to end battles, which made the 100 battle survival take not so long to finish.. but for other competitive means, they're a bit lacking it seems.. They were raised with more power in mind rather than speed, so.. ._.

For the most part, those two did all the work in a lot of the battles. Otherwise, the rest in my team were just back-up from my old team if anything. ._.;

Locke Trufeld

"PPP" Peoples' Pokemon Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff