Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:18 pm
Shuyajin
Neoklassisch
Who believes this state of being 'dead and alive' is possible?

Everyone is alive yet paradoxically everyone is in fact dead. For they do not know what life actually means and deny the causality in which allows life to even exist.

They're alive, but to them their dead inside.

Besides that. Quantam physics is still a, hugely yet to be understood, science.

Science has nothing to do with the reality of life and death. biggrin

...Could you please explain that? I for one don't have the slightest idea what you're trying to get at.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm
Chaos-Physics (or Quantum-Physics) is non-linear.

Usually, the common sciences expect a simple solution like 1+1=2, but in quantum physics 1+1 may also be 3 (just a sample)

Everytime I chat with quantum physicians it ends up in telling me that my keyboard could also be a banana...  

Verderbnis

TenguHime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:16 pm
I don't really know all that much about this theory, but it's supposed to be about perception, right? I mean, the reason the cat is considered both dead and alive is because no one has seen the cat to see if it's dead or not. Is that right, or am I totally screwing over the idea?

Anyway, the main problem I have with this is that it doesn't take the cat's perception into consideration. The cat knows if it's alive; why should it make a difference if it's a human or an animal perceiving it?

Quote:
Logic is the limt of the mind

That doesn't make any sense. People are capable of thinking illogically, so how could logic possibly limit someone's mind?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:22 pm
Real question actually turns to the relative existence of the cat.... stare Is it really even in the box? Does it even exist? Is it all in your head? Do you exist? Are we sick of the theoretical bullshite? Lovely. Moving on.  

xXFurygeistXx

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:28 pm
For the love of all that is good and holy, the cat is a thought experiment.

The cat does not now, and never has, existed.

There is no philosophical debate, unless you are talking about the morality of thought experiments on animals.

What the cat thinks does not matter. It is an imaginary cat.

There is no box in which the cat exists, and it IS all in our heads. That is the nature of a thought experiment.

Tengu: you have the basics of the idea, but what you are missing is that the actual state of the cat is fairly inconsequential. The real end-point of the whole situation is: probability and statistics. At any point in time, we don't know if a given radio-active particle has "decayed" to a stable form, unless we actually physically examine it. We can make guesses and assumptions by certain information available, but we can't be sure until we check (that is, until we open the box and look).

Excluding myself, Z, Shirou, and Verdebnis... this thread is an example of why you don't try to explain scientific concepts to non-science people through analaogies. They only end up proving that they don't understand the analogy... and half of them don't really want to. Zombie cats are just too much fun. stare  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:59 am
Well, quantum physics is a little bit difficult to discuss, you can't expect that people will check the matter, even if you write in a huge font size and fat red letters.  

Verderbnis

wonderdummy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:25 pm
The cat in the box is either dead or alive, but without opening the box you can never know...
You must assume that the cat is both dead and alive, when in fact it is only one, in order to prepare for both outcomes.
This conundrum arised from the current impossibility to know both an electron's position and velocity at the same tim
(and you're right, there never was a cat, it's a metaphor)

((btw, "quantum" is german for "packet"))  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:06 pm
It's not...

A "quantum" is a quantum in german, a "Paket" is a packet stare  

Verderbnis

Charlie Dodo

4,750 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:48 am
Until you saw this post, or one of my other posts, I did not exist in your reality. Until something, or the effects of that something, are observed it does not exist. You don't know if I am an undead victorian priest, a 14 year old girl with an odd sense of humour and fondness for old books, a creepy old man looking to hook up with a 14 year old girl, a woman with 42 children or some combination of the above.

In Schrodinger's thought experiment the point is to get people to realise that the state of the cat's life is only resolved by opening the box.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:49 pm
I heart the fact that the only recent posts have been by people who actually get the experiment.

A Quantum can refer to any one thing. It is just supposed to be a certain amount of something. It is possible to have a quantum of light, or of matter, or energy (mechanical, electrical, and so forth).

If it helps to think of it as a packet, that is fully acceptable. It is terminology adopted and used in the "field" to help make the complicated truth easier for a mind to grasp in a short period of time.  

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:47 am
Funny thing is that all I know about quantum physics just comes from 4 pages of a manga and some thinking.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:42 pm
Schrodinger's cat tells of the natural curiosity of the human mind, as well as the difficulty of deciding a conclusion upon facts that are unknown, thus the cat being considered both dead and alive.  

Threedom the Nar-Whal

7,500 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Lord VanHellsing13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:08 am
we need to define the boundries of life. when is something dead?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:28 pm
every one is dead and alive because you die a little bit each second.  

last angel served

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces