Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures
Anyone learning Irish Gaelic or Faroese?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

leanbh_fiata

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:40 am
Dia Daoibh agus / og Góðan Dag

I know both languages are rather unknown and rare, but I thought I'd ask anyway. 3nodding

I was in Ireland in 2005 and have been a fan of a lot of Irish music since I was a kid. I took a liking to the language in my early teens and finally when I as over there on holiday I got to buy 2 language courses to start learning. I spent about 2 years slowly teaching myself out of books, programs and audio... I have to admit I'm out of practice now and would like to pick it up again soon.

My dad's Faroese and I've been around that my whole life, but when he started trying to speak it to me at age 6 I found it terribly freaky... I think 6 is a bit late. I was over there in 1999 and picked up a lot of the language and I understand it almost totally... there is no proper language course available so I threw together something using a computer program, my dad's recorded voice saying the words and an English Faroese dictionary. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:57 pm
Hmm, I'm not learning it...but I do listen to some Irish Gaelic songs by Enya. Not sure what the titles are, though. Good luck, this sounds like fun ^^ I'm a foreign-language addict, but mostly with European languages.

DeadSockMonster

Tapeworm Sex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:48 pm
i am irish but i hate speaking it its a pain learning it in skwel  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:26 pm
dia duit

lol I used to go to school in ireland where we had to learn gaelic and I can´t remember much but numbers, colours and the other odd word or two but I can´t spell and I´ve lost my accent :p

I would really like to learn it though
I looked at faoroese before but it didn´t do anything for me, but you know I just found a course if you´re interested in wikipedia type in faroese and you´ll find this if you scroll down

The University of the Faroe Islands offers an annual Summer institute over 3 weeks including:

50 lessons of Faroese grammar and language exercises.
20 lectures on linguistic subjects, culture, society and nature. The lectures on culture include oral poetry and modern literature.
2 excursions to places of historical and geographical interest.  

sientolo

Neamhurchoid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 pm
DeadSockMonster
Hmm, I'm not learning it...but I do listen to some Irish Gaelic songs by Enya. Not sure what the titles are, though. Good luck, this sounds like fun ^^ I'm a foreign-language addict, but mostly with European languages.
The very thing you strive for ...

Enya is the equivalent of getting your ears scraped out by a swan.
Beautiful and painful all at the same time.

And, not to mention that all of her songs sound exactly the same.

Is Éireannach mé. Conas táin tú? Cad as daoibh, a mariposa abstraca agus fadeing knight?

... is the thing that makes you blind

"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff