Reply "FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures
Scottish Gaelic

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

STLeeJay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:20 pm
Halò. Ciamar a tha sibh? A bheil a Ghàidhlig abaibh?

That's right. Despite my avatar, I'm not Native/Aboriginal at all (I merely deeply admire and support their culture, heritage and traditions). As a matter of fact, I am of Scottish descent.

My Paternal Grandfather's Mother's 15th (I think that math is right) Great Grandfather's Father-in-Law was King Robert Stewart II of Scotland, whose daughter was Princess Margaret Stewart of Scotland, who was married to John MacDonald, 1st Lord of the Isles.

As one of Scottish descent, sometimes it saddens me deeply to see my heritage tongue, "Scottish Gaelic" ("Gàidhlig" ), dying out in recent generations. Thus, I like to spread the word about Scottish Gaelic, in my own personal effort to support the restoration and preservation of this beautiful Scottish language and heritage.

I don't speak Gaelic fluently. Just a few words and phrases. But I would love to learn it someday. But there aren't many resources in my area to learn it.

I'd like to try to start a bit of a community here, if I can. If you speak Scottish Gaelic, or if Scottish Gaelic is part of your heritage, or if even you merely admire Scottish Gaelic for its beauty, feel free to hang out here.

Here are some resource links I found regarding Scottish Gaelic:
http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/gaelic.php
http://www.savegaelic.org/gaelic/basic-scottish-gaelic.php  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:10 pm
I am full Native with some Scottish blood in me. It comes from ancestors of mine. I never knew that the Scottish had their own dialects that they spoke in so I am interested in knowing more 3nodding  

Fallicious Flavor

DoktorPhil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:16 pm
My grandmother came from Scotland, and I can play the Great Highland Bagpipes, but the only Gaelic I know is from the names of the tunes I play.

But, if you are interested and have the money, there is a Gaelic College in Cape Breton that has a summer camp for people who want to learn Gaelic, and/or play bagpipes, and are interested in all things Gaelic.

But anyways, yes I can copy and past!

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:50 am
DoktorPhil
My grandmother came from Scotland, and I can play the Great Highland Bagpipes, but the only Gaelic I know is from the names of the tunes I play.

But, if you are interested and have the money, there is a Gaelic College in Cape Breton that has a summer camp for people who want to learn Gaelic, and/or play bagpipes, and are interested in all things Gaelic.

But anyways, yes I can copy and past!

I did know about that college, yes. I went to Cabe Breton, the other year, and stopped by there to visit.  

STLeeJay

Liara Miyu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 pm
Promise me , when you see,
a white rose you'll think of me...

User Image

I've got Scottish blood in me, about half I'd say. Gaelic has always interested me and I would love to learn all I can about the language. I know a few spellings but as far as speaking goes, nothing yet.

User Image

I love you so, Never let go,
I will be your ghost of a rose...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:34 pm
DoktorPhil

The very thing you strive for ...

Jesus, Scottish-Gaelic is almost exactly the same as the Donegal dialect.

Sláinte mhór a h-uile lá a chá nach fhaic. Nearly letter for letter. Seachas an fada

... is the thing that makes you blind

Neamhurchoid

Gracesan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:46 am
@ Neamhurchoid: I believe they very close, due to the fact that they have the same lingistical root.

I have learned a bit of Scottish Gaelic...but unfortuntly lost a fair amount of it.
If my studies were not in the way I would love to spend the summer in the Gaelic College in Cape Breton, and relearn what I lost. But at this time I can't due to my summers already owned by the Grand Pre dig on the North Shore.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:37 pm
I have a little Scottish in me and I love the culture. I would love to learn the language but have had no one to teach me.  

OxXoSapphireOxXo

Ariemea

Dangerous Informer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:26 pm
I love Gaelic. It is a beautiful tongue sprung from a beautiful culture of lovely people. heart Few people I know have even heard of Gaelic, and it makes my heart shine to know that there are people who love it who are willing to spread the word that they do. heart  
"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games