Abrien Sliver

Generous Capitalist

7,850 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm
Before you read, Know that I borrowed this with permission from Pyfe

I'm sure some of you have at least heard the tales.

"I was chaining roselia for special attack EVs when suddenly I found a shiny one!"

"So then, after 60 shinx in a row, I started getting shinies consecutively!"

"My first shiny was from pokeradar!"

It appears to be a shiny lover's holy grail. Apparently, by using pokeradar chaining methods, one can increase the shiny encounter rate greatly. But just what is pokeradar?

Pokeradar is a device obtainable after you get the national dex that, when in normal grass, causes 1-4 patches to shake. If you use some repel and walk into the grass that shook, you'll find a pokemon! Whoop-dee-doo, right? Well, if you faint/capture this pokemon, more patches will shake. Just go to the farthest one that shakes the same way, and *gasp* the same pokemon! But you may be wondering why this is useful... Here are some reasons:

-looking for a specific nature
-looking for a specific gender
-looking for a rare held item
-and the most famous, looking for a shiny

Using this method, I have caught nearly a box worth of shinies. It took a while, but it was well worth it. By all means, I believe this method to be less time-consuming than soft reseting/randomly meandering.

So now I'm making a tutorial on how to get these really long chains, and aiming with the result of shiny. My highest chain is 56. ;D

Stuff you need:
-pokeradar
-AT LEAST 200 Max Repels
-patience
-a pokemon that can take out your target in one hit, and has a lot of PP
-repeat balls (I suggest it for the high catch rate. Use Dusk balls if it is, well, dark)
-a False Swiper, statuser (I use parasect.)
-more patience

How to start a chain:
-Walk into the center of a patch of grass that you know contains your target pokemon. The patch of grass should take up a good deal of the screen.
-Use a max repel.
-If you haven't already, register your pokeradar to the Y button. It makes things go faster. You can also keep track of your chain by switching your poketch to app. 20.
-Save (I do this so that if I get a really long chain and then lose it, I don't have to go buy more repels)
-Use the radar, and go to a shaking patch of grass. If it doesn't have the pokemon you want, either reset your game, or reset the radar by taking 50 steps.
-Once you find that pokemon, you must beat it or capture it. If you run, the chain will break. Boooo.
-As soon as the battle scene ends, keep your eyes peeled! More patches will shake! But how do you know which one to choose?

----Only choose grass if four patches are shaking
----Only choose grass if at least three patches shake the same as the first
----Only choose a patch of grass if it is four spaces away (as in, there must be three spaces of grass between you and the shaking patch)
----Only choose a patch of grass if it is NOT in a corner, or on the edge
----Never walk into the patch of grass behind you if you only saw three bushes shake. It may be a shaking bush that you couldn't see because your sprite was in the way, and because it's so close, it'll most likely break the chain.
----Don't walk into a grass patch if it is shaking right next to another patch.

And for visual learners... (+ is normal grass, * is shaking grass, # is differently shaking grass, O is you)

Examples of good grass:

++++++++++++
++++++++++++
+++++*++++++
++#+++O+++*+
++++*+++++++
++++++++++++

++++++++++++
++++++++++++
+++**+++++++
+++O++++*+++
++++++++++++
++++#+++++++

++++++++++++
++++++#+O+++
+++++++*++++
++++*++++*++
++++++++++++
++++++++++++

Examples of bad grass:

*+++++++++++
++++++++++++
+++++O++*+++
++++++++*+++
++*+++++++++
++++++++++++

++++++++++++
++++#+++#+++
++++++++++++
++*++++O#+++
++++++++++++
++++++++++++

++++++++++++
++++++++**++
+++#++++++++
++++O+++++++
+++++#++++++
++++++++++++

If you run into bad grass that breaks the rules, then go back and forth until your pokeradar battery recharges (50 steps) and hit the radar again. This WILL NOT break your chain. Yay!

How to break a chain:
-Ride your bike
-Choose a patch of grass that shook differently (unless it shines vibrantly, or course)
-Save your chain, and turn off the power expecting it'll be there when you get back
-Forget to use a repel
-Walk to a point where you can't see the other shaking patches of grass
-Use the radar, use a repel, and walk into a patch before resetting the radar again (for some reason, this causes the chain to break)

Misconceptions:
Walking off the grass will break my chain. FALSE. Walking so far as you can't see the other shaking patches will, though.

Talking to an NPC will break my chain. True. Don't do it.

Swarm chains automatically break at midnight. FALSE. Even after midnight, the chain will remain intact until it is naturally broken.

Trophy Garden exclusives' chains will automatically break at midnight. FALSE. Same as above, but also garden pokemon won't rotate unless you speak with Mr. Backlot. I still have eevee and porygon in there.

Tips and Tricks:
-If you want a shiny that you can battle with, decide on the nature before hand and find a synchronizer with that nature. If it's a low-level synchronizer (such as my box full of freshly hatched abra), faint it before starting, and put it at the top of your party. It'll have the same effect as if it were alive.
-Reset your radar by going back and forth rather than up and down, in case you didn't see a shaking patch up there.
-If you want to be on the safe side, stop your chain at 35 or 40, and keep resetting the pokeradar until you see that shiny patch. Keep in mind it takes an average of 70 super repels to get a shiny when this high.
-Speaking of grass, there are three types: Normal shaking, fast shaking (also known as 'flecked' or 'a little shiny') and shiny (you can tell the difference because it is much more noticable, is white rather than yellow, and flashes vibrantly twice).
-If you're looking for an electric type, put a pikachu (fainted or not, doesn't matter) at the front. Its Static will make electric types more common. (In this case, if you're also looking for natures, flip to your synchronizer if you see a shiny patch).
-If you're looking for a steel type, put a magnet-pull pokemon *magnemite* at the top slot.
-If your pokemon self-destructs, be sure to have a pokemon with Damp ability when you reach the shiny
-If your pokemon teleports, have a pokemon with the move Mean Look/Spider Web or a wobbuffet
-They say flecked patches contain rarer pokemon. Although this is true in most cases (it is the only way to find pokeradar exclusives), in the Trophy Garden where the eevee hang, this is UNTRUE. I find trophy exclusives much more often in normal shaking grass.
-If you need to take a break, just flip down the DS and plug it into the charger. It even works overnight. I find it easiest to take a break right in the middle of a battle, or right before I reset the radar.

And there you have it! Hopefully with a little patience, and by following this tutorial, each of us can rack up the legit shiny of our dreams!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:58 am
Bumpity bump.  

Abrien Sliver

Generous Capitalist

7,850 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200

Fera_Nai

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:39 pm
Smart in the brain...

*bows*

Thank you so much, I need to work on this as soon as I can. I feel a little n00bish for not catching a single shiny yet ^^;

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:33 am
Chaining Roselia for Special Attack EVs? There's a trainer with three Alakazams just west of Pastoria.  

Jshin

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:38 am
Jshin
Chaining Roselia for Special Attack EVs? There's a trainer with three Alakazams just west of Pastoria.

Note that the guy normally has three Kadabras but once you fight him like half a dozen times they'll all be Alakazams. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:30 am
Wow... I never knew about this. sweatdrop
*is definitely going to work on this*  

Gym Leader Allachka

Spiritual Seraph

22,050 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Fusion Master 1000

Abrien Sliver

Generous Capitalist

7,850 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:42 am
*bumps up so those interested might read it*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:20 pm
i can never do it i think the most ive had in a chains is 3
but i really want a shiny shinx if anyone is willing to trade??? XD  

lupus the lupine

Junk the Guild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:03 pm
Interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:34 pm
i've only ever seen one shiny but I fainted it. sad  

vafrous

gemenii2188

Romantic Giver

9,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:18 pm
Too many things to remember... xp  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:45 am
I had a dream I saw a shiny xp Gosh... that sounds so sad xD

My biggest chain was 11, but a jigglypuff broke it ¬¬;  

tulin13

Friendly Wolf

11,500 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50

XxxTykixxX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:24 am
omg you rule thanks biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:41 am
There is a fisherman with goldeens. After a while they became seakings!! They evolved!! cool  

rebeccaxlin32

Friendly Gaian

"PPP" Peoples' Pokemon Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces