Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Take the gold! you know youneed it
  GOLD FOR ALL!!!!
View Results

shadow_humper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:01 pm
this thread is to put into the minds of all the thruth that is not the truth. I only want things that are completely, 100% true and are blatent in that such. I'll start off with an example.

3/3 (three thirds) does not = (equal) 1 (one).
Reason: 1/3 = .3333333333~
--------- 2/3 = .6666666666~
there for 3/3 must = .9999999999999~ which is less that one!!!!!!

If you follow this curve of integers, you can find several other like this.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Mathematically speaking, 0.9999— is equal to one.

Though in general, 2/3 is considered 0.6666...6667.  

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

shadow_humper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:22 am
That is only because of the law of error. This law was made by scientist to cover themselves when flaws are made and loopholes occure. Technically, 3 divided by 3 is 1, but the fraction 3/3 is all BUT 1. This is one of those loopholes I mentioned earlier.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:55 pm
what goes up, must come down. the law of gravity is limited only to very few planets/moons. in some planets objects can't even move from off the ground. in space, whatever goes up just goes awy until it's caught in some orbit. so technically speaking, not everything that goes up must come down. wow, i just thought of this a minute ago....  

Kyakume

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:21 pm
I submit to you all, a much larger chunk of untruth......

I say that in all actuality, the many things we consider absolute truth (math formulas, science, laws of nature) are only true until someone eventually proves them otherwise....... If you look deeply into history, you will see that there are many things which were once taught in higher learning, but were eventually proven otherwise.

Pluto:
1) a bright star
2) planet
3) not a planet

see what I mean? true until proven otherwise........  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:17 pm
Well, that's pretty much what science is all about... finding the best possible explanation using the technology and understanding we have. Once better technology and better ways of thinking come along, things change. Think about all the theories of the past that have changed (i.e. disease, reproduction, space). The nature of science is change.  

Deppfan

Mwahahahaha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:46 pm
I'd say that the only most reliable truth is that you are, in a form or in another, alive, since you are conscious.. All the other information we assume are true based on the world we live in might not actually be true.. If the world we appear to live in were to turn out to be some sort of an illusion or a hallucination, then the system in the 'real' world might be a lot different, which would make the information we have in this world collapse. (I'm not trying to imply that this is the case, but there is no way for one to know whether the world we currently live in is real or not..) Or, based on the scenario that this world really is real, there's still the possibility of almost everything we think we know to have been some sort of an error..  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:25 am
demon coal
That is only because of the law of error. This law was made by scientist to cover themselves when flaws are made and loopholes occure. Technically, 3 divided by 3 is 1, but the fraction 3/3 is all BUT 1. This is one of those loopholes I mentioned earlier.

We define the fraction "X/X" to be 1. 3/3 is is the same as 2/2 is 5/5. There is not special cosmic revelation to be had, andthere is no major inconsistency. Mathematics is based on logical reasoning and was originally quantity based. To make the claim that math doesn't work is to claim that everything (just about) is wrong. To claim that everything is wrong is an indefensible position, and one that professional philosophers and logicians will not even consider.

Kyakume
what goes up, must come down. the law of gravity is limited only to very few planets/moons. in some planets objects can't even move from off the ground. in space, whatever goes up just goes awy until it's caught in some orbit. so technically speaking, not everything that goes up must come down. wow, i just thought of this a minute ago....

What? I'll assume you don't know much physics. Everything with any mass at all (even electrons) has a gravitational field. Things on the other side of the universe will feel a pull from earth. Likewise, we are all being pulled towards the planets of our solar system, and every other solar system. It is a force we can actually calculate. The force is proportional to the product of the two masses in consideration, divided by the square of the distance between them. Gravity is everywhere, and the only point wherein we do not "feel" a pull is at mathematical infinity, which is not possible to reach (by definition).

Mwahahahaha
I'd say that the only most reliable truth is that you are, in a form or in another, alive, since you are conscious.. All the other information we assume are true based on the world we live in might not actually be true.. If the world we appear to live in were to turn out to be some sort of an illusion or a hallucination, then the system in the 'real' world might be a lot different, which would make the information we have in this world collapse. (I'm not trying to imply that this is the case, but there is no way for one to know whether the world we currently live in is real or not..) Or, based on the scenario that this world really is real, there's still the possibility of almost everything we think we know to have been some sort of an error..

As it seems related, there is a 20% chance that our universe is just a simulation.  

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:38 am
Mwahahahaha

yeah, I like that way of thinking..... the "matrix" approach.....

Yeah, I refuse to admit anything in this world to be absolute truth....

Khalida Nyoka
demon coal

We define the fraction "X/X" to be 1. 3/3 is is the same as 2/2 is 5/5. There is not special cosmic revelation to be had, andthere is no major inconsistency. Mathematics is based on logical reasoning and was originally quantity based. To make the claim that math doesn't work is to claim that everything (just about) is wrong. To claim that everything is wrong is an indefensible position, and one that professional philosophers and logicians will not even consider.

as i said above, I basically DO claim that everything is wrong. This theory actually comes from the words of a rather famous philosopher, Socrates: "the only true knowledge is knowing that you KNOW nothing."  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:07 am
azrael the reaper
Khalida Nyoka
demon coal

as i said above, I basically DO claim that everything is wrong. This theory actually comes from the words of a rather famous philosopher, Socrates: "the only true knowledge is knowing that you KNOW nothing."

I have no fear of admitting that I think Socrates is wrong. He was wise, but not infallible.

I see your Socrates, and I raise with Descartes!

Cogito Ergo Sum, or in more precise terms, Dubito Ergo Sum.
The statement of "I think, therefore I am" necessarily requires that we know at least one thing (and by extension, I'd argue that by knowing something we have the potential to know much more).  

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:26 am
Khalida Nyoka
azrael the reaper
Khalida Nyoka
demon coal

I have no fear of admitting that I think Socrates is wrong. He was wise, but not infallible.

The statement of "I think, therefore I am" necessarily requires that we know at least one thing (and by extension, I'd argue that by knowing something we have the potential to know much more).

ah, but how do you know that we truly DO think?
couldnt our "thoughts" just as likly be broadcast into our heads, and we assume that it was our own thoughts.
Not saying this is very likly, but then again, I rarly ever completly throw away any theory.....
We never truly "know" that anything is true. we could all wake up from the matrix one day, for all we know.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:47 am
azrael the reaper
Khalida Nyoka
azrael the reaper
Khalida Nyoka
demon coal

couldnt our "thoughts" just as likly be broadcast into our heads, and we assume that it was our own thoughts.
Not saying this is very likly, but then again, I rarly ever completly throw away any theory.....
We never truly "know" that anything is true. we could all wake up from the matrix one day, for all we know.

But we did wake up! I do think you'd love the experiment Descartes performed.
Cogito/Dubito Ergo Sum came from an experiment. René Descartes decided he wanted to get to the bottom of things. He began with doubting other people away. Easy enough, they could be fictional. He then doubted the rest of the world away. Not quite as easy, because the world was what he knew. But he managed.

The only thing left to doubt away, was himself. He found, however, that he couldn't. No matter how he tried, how many different tactics he employed, he couldn't. The reason? There had to exist something that was doing the doubting. Non-existence can't doubt itself, so something must exist to even possibly doubt itself.
From the conclusion that at least the doubter must exist, he said "I think, therefore I am." It is really an argument that if a person doubts their own existence, then that is proof unto itself that they exist.

The point: no matter the situation, you always know one truth, and that is that you exist.

Now to deal with the idea of our thoughts not being our own:
This sort of goes along with the idea of there being about a chance that we are all simulated. I assume that I think, because I have first-hand anecdotal evidence in support of this. Others in the past have run experiments to determine if we think, and they have supplied evidence for a yes.
All people, when they think, generate an electro-magnetic field in/around their head. They create it. If our thoughts weren't our own, there would need to be some sort of transmitter somewhere (outside the person), a received/decoder in the person, and a mode of transmission.
As there is no evidence to support that any of those three things exist, I'd say namely due to the brain generating the fields itself, we can safely conclude that the odds of our thoughts coming from an external source are extremely low (which is what you'd already said). In any case, it would take the human brain to decode the message, and in the decoding process the brain could easily make a mistake. If that happened, then that thought would become uniquely our own. Furthermore, just because a person is not the source of and idea doesn't mean that the idea is not theirs. If thoughts are being broadcasted out, and we are all just receiving and decoding them, then we are still thinking them.

If we are instructed to ponder our existence, then we are still pondering. If we are still pondering our existence, then we must exist.  

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

Kaelis Tejil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:04 pm
deppfan
Well, that's pretty much what science is all about... finding the best possible explanation using the technology and understanding we have. Once better technology and better ways of thinking come along, things change. Think about all the theories of the past that have changed (i.e. disease, reproduction, space). The nature of science is change.
percisely why mysticism was always accepted before reason and science were introduced-it was just another way to explain the natural world  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:36 pm
Khalida Nyoka
Kyakume

What? I'll assume you don't know much physics. Everything with any mass at all (even electrons) has a gravitational field. Things on the other side of the universe will feel a pull from earth. Likewise, we are all being pulled towards the planets of our solar system, and every other solar system. It is a force we can actually calculate. The force is proportional to the product of the two masses in consideration, divided by the square of the distance between them. Gravity is everywhere, and the only point wherein we do not "feel" a pull is at mathematical infinity, which is not possible to reach (by definition).

I think Kyakume is trying to compare gravity and friction. Not the best way to go about it. Actually, I'm not sure there's a viable way to do so at all.
Oh, and Khalida is correct in his point.

... damn, I desperately want to argue on this point, but physics isn't my strong suit at the end of the summer...  

false_fail

Sullen Couch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:35 pm
azrael the reaper
Khalida Nyoka
azrael the reaper
Khalida Nyoka
demon coal

Ah, but to assume, must you not think?
and Mwahahaha, 25.6% chance.
I think.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas