Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
what is evil? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kendrel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:33 am
Depends on the point of view, yes... but there are some things that we can't deny are evil. Assassination for greedy purposes, stealing from poor people, harming others either physically or psychologically just because "it feels ok", torture humans/animals just for the fun of it... that is evil.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:13 pm
what if all we know is in fact evil... in turn are any of us then good? or does good even exist...  

last angel served

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:53 pm
RSD hollow
what if all we know is in fact evil... in turn are any of us then good? or does good even exist...

or to another extreme. does evil even exist? or is it simply a perseption created by society, in order to attempt getting ppl to quit doing things that most ppl consider harmful to ppl (murder, rape, theft, etc...)?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:05 pm
I always thought evil to be anything that causes pain or sorrow. There are varrying degrees, of course, and there are things that can cause pain or sorrow without being evil.
Say, if someone were to die of natural causes, the family would be sad or if somebody fell down the stairs and broke their arm, that would cause them pain. But neither of those things are evil.
I guess evil has to be perpetrated by a person...

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:03 am
good and evil all depend on perspective.
for example, what is considered evil, may, in fact, simply be deviance.
what may be considered good, may have some greedy motive behind it.
and so, there are no black and white, only shades of gray.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:05 pm
all very valid points! but I think everyone has a little evil in there heart somewhere...  

last angel served

DvnT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:18 am
azrael the reaper
Mwahahahaha
azrael the reaper
a complete lack of good.....

But then, wouldn't that raise the question of what good is?

um.... complete lack of evil? LOL

So does this mean there is a complete lack of everything?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:20 pm
dvn -camilla price-
azrael the reaper
Mwahahahaha
azrael the reaper
a complete lack of good.....

But then, wouldn't that raise the question of what good is?

um.... complete lack of evil? LOL

So does this mean there is a complete lack of everything?

hehehe.... yeah, of course....... we are all nonexistant. as soon as we can come to accept this, wee will all disappear into nothingness and cease to exist....LOL  

azrael the reaper_95210

FF Turk_Panto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:43 pm
I think the words of good and the words of evil tend to just be an idea simply to put that an action you have thought to be done good is good where someone else may have thought that action to be more evil than good. Yet, we live a life in which morals tend to be created by the individual person in which many people have a different outlook to what good is and to what evil is in the action. So, this case we can say that there is not good or evil, but how would we describe the actions and or deeds performed by the person. Evil to me in this case is what we all experience for we have no pure of heart. A good man could have good tendencies and intentions, yet the actions performed by the man that are thought to be good could be a remnant to become evil. Evil is like sin in which sin resides in us all, none of it had been washed away really. We hold greed, lust, envy, wrath, sloth, gluttony, and pride in our emotions and ways, but we as human beings do not truly seem evil. We do have good, but true good is rare now a days. Evil is more like a test. To overcome the evil you must understand what evil is and figure out as well what good truly is. It's constant processing and understanding. This case right now we're taking that test to it's understanding even I'm trying to answer the question justly so, but how am I to say that what I am describing as thought to be evil could be correct? Well this case I can't say that what my definition of evil is correct, but what has been said of evil could be used to understand rather than to pin point the answer.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:01 am
Reading all this...I am not certain what Good and Evil are anymore lol @_@

So good and evil is whatever we think good and evil is?  

jimmythegreatone

FF Turk_Panto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:51 am
jimmythegreatone
Reading all this...I am not certain what Good and Evil are anymore lol @_@

So good and evil is whatever we think good and evil is?

In some cases yes, we perceive good and evil in our own ways so we can not truly say what is good and what is evil with a definite answer. However, if we were to put the divine essence to which is pure good then that divinity who is pure can hold the true good, yet we can not say the divine essence is there. In this case it is not so much that we have become Nietzsche's subjects to destroying God it is the case that we as human beings are trying to further our pursuit of knowledge in order to see the essence of the divine or even further understand our selves and the society around us. We subject good and evil because what we see in this world , the actions done by others in the society and in the world, are put in place as either good or evil and both subjects become opinionated justly by the own individual. Many of us may have the understanding of what good and evil is in our own minds through our morals, yet one must think to their own morals how good and evil they really are. Even without the true understanding of good and evil, the light and dark, we can at least perceive the little knowledge to at least understand it. The other thing is too since I brought the divine essence into the picture is that religions can not truly explore the true good or the true evil. You can see it's lessons, but to the person who observes it has a different view and you can surely see such cases in this world today.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:03 am
In my view, good and evil are labels, categories humans have made to find with whom they can identify themselves more closely with. As people are put into social categories like emo, goth, prep, etc., the division of "good people" and "evil people" are created to help further human survival in a sense. In other words, yes, it's objective, since one can pick out those who seem to threaten one's survival. If a person felt threatened by a group of people or a certain type of person, it manifests as a type of prejudgement. From those assumptions, a person may feel especially threatened by a certain group of people, and deem them as evil. But, a group that is beneficial to the survival of one's self would be defined as good. This is my way of looking at it, though I can't make much sense of it myself...  

EcuaChick_got_game

LadyKaylaBeaner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:31 pm
I believe that there is no pure evil, since no human being could ever be pure evil or pure good. Every human alive on this planet has done both good and bad things, but the majority of what they do, be it good or evil, is the one that the people notice most.
Say a cruel killer out of jail on parole saved a box of 3 kittens from drwoning in a flood. but instead of tossing the box off at the nearest animal shelter, he takes them to the vet and pays from his own pocket the medical treatments needed for the survival of the 3 tiny kittens. And he brings them all to his apartement and takes amazing care of the kittens. But forever labeled a convict, the tiniest problem and the ex-con is whisked off to the county jail and the kittens remain, alone. But after the ex-con shouts for two days about the kittens, the police decide to cuff him and take him home. Once inside, the kittens rush and tumble over each other to get to the ex-con to rub at his ankles and purr and meow happily. The ex-con falls to his knees and alows the kittens to crawl up on his lap and curl up all together and sleep in a little ball of kitten. Sleeping peacfully together in a warm fuzzy ball, the ex-con starts to cry,, and looking at the police he begs for him to stay here to take care of these three kittens, for them being dumped alone in a cruel world again would being certain death. The police, both leaning down to get a closer look at the kittens, smile. One says while lightly patting one of the kittens "they are cute, i would not want to see these little guys alone in the cruel world" The kitten being patted mews softly.
Animals don't need labels, they live in a eat or be eaten society.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:27 am
I might be a bit late on this; but I believe good and evil are the ACTIONS we take.We all have the potential to do both! As far as the Bible,I think the most important parts are the 11 commandments. I believe they are our guide lines to morality and humanity,because commond sense tells us we should not steel,kill and ect. And for those who don't know, Jesus gave us the 11 commandment, LOVE EACH OTHER AS I HAVE LOVED YOU!  

whitedove19

Festive Guardian

32,850 Points
  • Monster Hunter 100
  • Skilled Decorator 100
  • Master Converter 500

x _ f o x r a i n _ x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:40 pm
Mwahahahaha
..I personally think that neither good nor evil exist, at least in the objective sense, as what is considered to be evil by some people might be considered to be good by others, and there is no way to determine which is more right in a completely objective way, as we will also interpret things in our own way rather than pointing out to an absolute truth. So basically, I think that good and evil are attatched to an infinite amount of different angles..

For instance, you think that evil is an intentional destruction that is done when one knows it's wrong.. However, even if that person's actions were malignant, do the results not have any meaning? If, for instance, something many people consider to be good occured as a result of this destruction, would you still be able to call this action completely evil? (I'm not saying that the results liked by some mean that the action is good; I'm just trying to say that I think it depends on the point of view..)
I share the same view.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces