Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Choices

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Apparently_So12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:25 pm
Do we really have choices in life? This is free discussion, you can pretty much take it any direction you would like. I thought this was an obvious question at first until I talked it over with several friends. If there was a parallel universe in which everything is exactly the same, given a specific situation, a certain person will make the same choice in the parallel universe as well. So it's kind of already determined for us how things will play out. You thought you made a choice, but it was bound to happen all along. Agree?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:59 pm
I like to believe that we have a choice, and I mostly do. But who's really to say that they are sure we don't? I wish I could state more on this, but it's hard to have an extremity of an answer (Just as nature vs nurture could be mixed, instead of having one answer over the other). Maybe we have choices to some degree.

alvira in autumn

ladyshari

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:56 am
I think we make choices..Each time we do something we make a choice..You can chose to go to college or go to work.. Get married, have children..
Leave a job.. To love or hate..No parallell universe.. Then some life experiences you have no choice at all it happens. You have no control if you get hit by a bus, your parents get divorced, Natural disasters. They just hit you and you have to deal with them.And not dealing with them is a choice in itself..  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:37 pm

I think we don't really have a choice in life, not because in a parallel universe we are doing the same, because in a parallel universe we wouldn't do the same, I believe that Destiny means everything can and will happen, so every possibility must be fulfilled.

Kagayaku Shirou

Tasty Crayons

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:17 pm
Ah, I had this same debate in my English 12 class over Dante's Divine Comedy.

I believe there is a choice in the matter. But that destiny lays out a map of choices for us to choose from. To an extent, we are controlled by destiny. To an extent, we control our own destiny.

I'm honestly just torn between the two and decided to make up something to work for me. =X

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games