Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!
Vampire Comparisons

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your favorite vampire series?
  Twilight series
  The Vampire Diaries
  Vampire Kisses
  Cirque Du Freak
  Other
View Results

discoqueen

Demonic Kitten

17,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:51 am
It has come to my knowledge when I was doodling on a brown tablecloth used for fish that I have read many vampire books. I then thought harder and noticed that each book has a similar outlook on certain vampirical aspects and different options for others. So this is a forum to discuss the different views of a vampire lifestyle as put into books.

In the Twilight series, the vampires can be outside. In many other vampire books, vampires die if they go outside. Cirque Du Freak only gets them a sunburn and weak. In the Vampire Diaries, the vampires has a gem to keep them safe if they go out in the sun.

Death is another thing. The Twilight books, you have to tear them up and burn them. The sun and a stake is another factor. In the Vampire Diaries, if you are a young vampire and go out in the sun without the protective gem, you disappear into light; while if you are an old vampire you turn to dust.

Last on I am going to talk about and then I'm turning it over to you guys. How to become a vampire. Twilight has the poison. Vampire Diaries has the sharing of blood. Cirque Du Freak has the exchanging of blood through the finger tips. The Historian says you have to be bit by a vampire three times before you can become a vampire.

What else have you guys noticed reading vampire books?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:42 pm
I'd have to say Vampire Knight series, followed by the Twilight series. 3nodding  

KatyaChekov

Nine-tailed Trickster

28,825 Points
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Team Player 50
  • WilyTrickster 50

Silvie Verisimilitude

Gracious Hunter

6,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 pm
Well, Vampire Knight is a manga (possibly a novel?), but I suppose that is a vamp book anyway. They actually have the whole changing thing limited to pureblooded vampires. I suppose they can have children? They never actually mentioned it. And their special powers seem to be more elemental...especially in the anime. Unfortunately, I don't think I can compare as well with books. I've read Twilight, Vampire Kisses, and a couple other series/books. Doesn't exactly give me great comparisons to make. sweatdrop In any case...it is interesting how each author decides to portray vampires.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:02 pm
Peeps by Scott Westerfield. The Vampires were parasite positives. So Vampirism was a disease. (This book is really good, but if you aren't into reading about parasites in detail it is not reccomended.)  

cool4

Buggy Glitch

Kaze no Ato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:11 pm
Not a vampire series, but I think Dracula is my favorite vampire book.. Vampire of the Mists is an amazing book. Even being the first book in the Ravenloft series, it doesn't have anything to do with the other books... so it's not a series to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:25 am
User Image
In the book series 'Blue Bloods' by Melissa De La Cruz. The vampires can't change humans into vampires. Also, they age like humans and once they die, they just go into another life. Their lives are in cycles and every time they are reborn again, they would soon later on regain memories from their pass lives.

As said already, in the book series 'Twilight', they have a poison which could change humans but they would have to endure the pain of it.

And in both books, the vampires are extremely gorgeous.

TillxGone

Dangerous Lover

Breaking Dawn 4 Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:27 am
Vampire Knight actually now an Anime. I prefer Twilight(1), but Vampire Knight(2), and Peeps(3) are pretty dang good.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:47 pm
In Maggie Shayne's "Wings of the Night" series, vampires are originally humans born with an antigen in their blood called the "Belladonna Antigen", the vampires call them "The Chosen". This makes them somewhat weaker and they die younger than normal people... usually before 28, sometimes later. (Which explains why they are all young in appearance.) Other vampires can sense humans born with the antigen and are driven to protect them... some have a stronger bond with a particular human whom they are connected to even over distances (not always soul mates - so it's not always a romantic connection, but more familial). A vampire can transform a Chosen by draining them and then giving them their blood in return, but normal humans can't be turned. They suffer from the typical sun syndrome, but they're pretty much forced to fall asleep at dawn... sort of like they're drugged. The good news is, any damage they took before the sleep will be healed and gone by nightfall. They bleed a lot if wounded and can die from blood-loss.

Laurell K. Hamilton's "Anita Blake" series is pretty much classic vampire... but the stronger vampires connect to a particular animal which they can call upon... lycanthropes (were-animals) of their animal are bound to them and must obey them. A strong vampire can also bond with a particular lycan and a necromancer to form a triad-like power.

And last but not least of my favs - Sherrilyn Kenyon's vampires fall in a couple of categories... They were formed, according to Greek Mythology. Apollo created a race that lived on Atlantis called the Appolites, all fair-haired and beautiful. The jealous queen of the Apollites killed one of Apollo's mistresses and her son when she was only 27 so he cursed their entire race to be forced to live on each others' blood and die by their 27th birthday. He also banned them from the sun completely. To escape this early death, some Apollites bite humans and steal their souls. A human whose soul was stolen can't pass on to the afterlife and will be doomed to remain a shade - a wandering spirit neither seen nor heard - on the mortal plane. These soul-stealers are now called Daemons and need to constantly steal souls to survive. The battle Daemons, Artemis - sister of Apollo - confronted warriors at the moment of their tragic deaths and offered the revenge on their murder in return for their service to her. She takes their soul and marks them with a double bow & arrow tattoo. They can no longer walk in sunlight unless heavily protected and they need blood to survive (which they mainly get from blood-banks). When they do take from a human, they only take a little and all the human gets is an orgasm. They are called Dark-Hunters and their super abilities vary. A Dark-Hunter can be made human if someone who loves them unconditionally were to ask Ash (head Hunter) for their soul. Then they would have to stab their beloved Hunter with a stake in the heart until he's near death and place the soul back into their body with their own hands... which, by the way, burns like Hell. Only someone of pure heart and true love can accomplish this task.

I've read more vamp books than this, but these are my top three.  

Azaveil

8,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

StefanSalvatore

Familiar Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:08 am
I'm a fan of the Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith. This series is about two vampire brothers who hate each other and love the same human girl.
(And, yes, my avatar and username came from this book series.)
If you haven't read this series I suggest you do. It's a good series.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:19 pm
Dracula. The original. No one reads the classics these days it seems.  

Stanfacedeactivated

"FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games