Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Feminism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Feminism is...
  a good thing.
  a bad thing.
View Results

Esme Eames

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:19 pm
The basic definition of feminism is: a doctrine that advocates equal rights for women. That's from definition.

If one looks at it as that than I completely agree. Equal rights are a good thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:23 am
Feminism:Bad... listen, im not gonna lie, im a guy... now i dont want you taking that and saying "Oh, you're a guy so you can't understand..." I actually think what feminism was back decades ago was great, and i think it still has some good stuff to day... i believe a person is a person, and that we should all get the equal opportunity... but some feminists have abused the good things about feminism and started some really scary stuff....
heck, id even vote for a woman president..... as long as its not Hillary Clinton!!! (AAAAAAAH!!!! RUN FOR YOU'RE BLOOMIN LIIFE!!!)
"7  

Virtus Fierkin

350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Master Azrael Reaper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:37 am
"equal rights are not special rights".

I got no problem with men and women being equal. We are all human, and thus equal.
But if u want true equality:
- stop any and all "women only" scholarships
- do not give custody over to moms so easily in divorce cases
- throw out all them ideas of men paying on dates, and men holding doors for women etc.
- do not give moms maternity leave if dads cant get it to

For such an equality friendly country, we sure aint very equal.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:56 am
I can not define feminism. I believe that it is the wanting of equality between the genders, standing up for women and our rights.

I do believe that it still exists because women do still earn less then men in a lot of places when they do the same work. In some places it is only a matter of a few dollars per hour and in others can be lots of dollars. It will always exist while the fight still needs to be fought, but now a days it doesn't seem to be an all girl fight. I believe that since we have moved on from the bra burning, public protests, ect. that a lot of females have decided that where we are at is good enough or they go to the other end and say its still not good enough lets blame the men.
Personally I believe that there isn't a gender balance yet but it isn't the fault of the men. Majority of men just like a majority of the women I see from day to day either don't notice or don't care. I think that in time things will slide into equality as long as men and women still push for it.

Feminism is good but as I look around at the girls around me all they seem to do is use make-up to hide who they are. Everyone needs to be loved and feminism used to be standing up and saying I am here and I can do this. Women fought for all these things and majority of the youth I see today don't seem to care. They want affection from men and strive to get it through making themselves conform to the image that is placed int heir minds that is called 'beautiful' modern feminism should be helping girls to realize that they don't need the make up and the short skirts, it should be helping them to realize that they can be them and be loved for it because they are the ones that I think are holding us back.
Feminism is good. Sexism is bad. Women calling themselves feminist and then making sexist comments is completely wrong. Feminism was about the oppressed (at that time the women) and rising them to equality with men. Blaming men for all our problems is a load of bull and they merely followed their roles as dictated by society they lived the only way thy knew how. Who can blame them for that?

I agree with Verderbnis I am more of an equalist then a feminist.

Yreduasp

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces