Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Emotional Intelligence vs IQ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EQ or IQ: which is more important?
  Emotional intelligence (EQ)
  Cognitive intelligence (IQ)
View Results

Unilover07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:41 am
I don't really believe in the IQ and EQ scales. IQ is really just a number that attempts to categorize you based upon your results on a test. There are some that do amazing on these tests, yet aren't very intelligent. Also, there are those who totally bomb the test yet are very intelligent. I think it's pretty much a number--it isn't ssophisticated enough to completely define our mental capabilities.

I don't really understand the idea of EQ, but from what I've read in here, it seems to be basically the same idea only independant of IQ? Okay...just trying to fiqure it out, I've confused myself further.

Also, I think that our capacity for intelligence is completely up to us. Intelligence is simply the ability and desire to learn. Learning is very important and something that everyone does, unless they choose to close their minds to it. Every experience we have in life is a learning opportunity.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:30 pm
IQ is more important to me, but you also have to have EQ. If we only had IQ, we would all have magnificent ideas to change the world, but no way to show them. We would only be able to do them on our own. If we only had EQ, then no one would come up with any good ideas, and life would be somewhat of a party.
Summary: While it is important to be smart, you must also be at least partly social.  

Tagga

Greedy Capitalist

Starstruck Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:32 am
If I had to choose between the two, I would rather have IQ, because the job I want doesn't really require people skills.
The one I want others to have thought is EQ. Because then if everyone knew how to act around me and stuff, then I wouldn't really have to worry about it.
Although, I do believe that they are both equally important. Because they will both help you succeed in this world.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:38 pm
I think they're both very important in everyday life. But I would probably choose IQ if given that problem... I think that's because I'm better in cognitive intelligence than emotional intellengence... Depending on who your dealing with, emotional intelligence is better...  

Mai Chou-chan

Esme Eames

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:40 pm
EQ because if you can't understand others' emotions than you can't really explain your thoughts. If people don't understand you, it doesn't really mean you're smart because people can't know if you're right or wrong.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:16 pm
I see every one has theories and facts lined up for this forum. But here's what my experiences have taught me. (Keep in mind that everything I'm about to say only applies to some individuals and that I'm not talking about people in general.)

When I first entered high school I noticed that when my work piled up a lot I got it done better and faster when trying to ignore my emotions so I decided to explore this. For the past 6 years I've been trying to see if it's possible to suppress emotions indefinitely. I found that it only works when constantly concentrating on it. But while watching people who worked with me I noticed that their emotions affect their work efficiency(commonly known fact). I finally came to this conclusion. If efficiency is your main goal then EQ sometimes plays a greater role that IQ. By 'ignoring' your emotions you maintain a single work speed.  

mtkamekazi13

firefly734

6,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:20 pm
I personally believe that IQ is more important than EQ. I have a fairly high IQ, but i also have s few very close friends that i do things with regularly. I think that you need IQ and EQ to be successful. I say that IQ is more important,though, because you need it to do things like going into a scientific or medical field, which is what i am, but you still need EQ, or else now one would be able to work together. And without IQ no one would be able to thinkof anything usefu1.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:18 pm
I took a class in college that was all about different learning styles and different types of intelligence. As part of the course, I had to take one of those standardized EQ tests. My score was so low, my fellow classmates thought I had cheated.

I was told that it means I don't empathize very well. It's true. I don't usually feel what other people are feeling; most of the time human emotions seem illogical to me. But that does not mean that I don't understand why people feel the way they do; it just means that my brain processes information differently and reacts differently to that information. It also does not mean that I can't communicate with people or that I'm socially awkward.

Intelligence is not limited to the emotional and the cognitive types--there are also musical, kinesthetic, linear, and verbal, to name the ones that I remember. It's silly the way we usually define intelligence as being good at math, or science, or language arts, when there are so many other ways we use our brains. Is a professional football player, who can control and coordinate his muscles and physical reactions in ways I can't even imagine, unintelligent because he doesn't understand the irony in an Oscar Wilde? Evolutionarily speaking, irony isn't exactly necessary to a species' survival. But it does make for a really great play, and culture is important to most humans.

I guess what I am trying to say, in a rather long-winded manner, is that no type of intelligence is more important than another. Choosing one would be like saying that there are some people who just aren't as important as others because they aren't as intelligent. How can you say that someone who gets along with everybody is more important than someone who could find the cure for cancer? Or that someone who can build a robotic surgeon is more important than someone who can sit by the bedside of dying patients every day? The truth is we need all of these people, and every person's special brand of intelligence is important.

That's just my opinion.

Kachan36

ggem3

8,700 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:27 pm
I think that EQ counts more in the real world cause you can be smart and still fail in life if you aren't Emotionally Savvy you need to have EQ to be able to read people and yourself to gauge decisions and actions.We aren't always looked to for our smarts but even if you have an average IQ if you can use your EQ you can do so many things that really I think EQ at times can top IQ  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:57 pm
IQ is just a number, It's how you use than number to your advantage. EQ is about maturity. They are equally as important as each other.  

Lus-cloud

Vakna

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:58 pm
B09876
So you guys are smart. What does that mean? Are you emotionally intelligent or cognitively intelligent - which is more important?
Would you rather have EQ or IQ, and what sort of intelligence to you prefer in other people? Do you have to have one to have the other?
Yes, I am questioning intelligence. One of the great philosophy files man has ever seen! So discuss... What is intelligence and EQ versus IQ and does it matter?
I think that although IQ is very important, EQ helps you with social skills but also with your career - people with good social skills know how to get the most out of the workplace and their colleagues. I think that to be successful in life or to be in any leadership role, or any job of responsibility and interaction, it is absolutely necessary to be in tune with the emotions of others and yourself. So overall, I vote EQ over IQ. Absolutely.

Seriously? Are you asking "Is it better to be smart or sensitive"? It goes without saying. Intelligence is much, much more important.  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:13 pm
I read up the 1st couple of post and most alot of u but EQ, I have to say IQ.  

Scarlett_Rose_Spark

LunaMaeMoon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:02 am
I have to reply to this because I am nearly done with my BA in psychology.

Emotional IQ is very much different than Cognitive IQ. The reason I say this is because emotional development is based on Erik Erikson's work with the stages such as trust vs mistrust or initiative vs guilt stage. Jean Piagetian stages are such as Preoperational which is the second stage of cognitive development.

These are distinctly different, but they are also interlaced together to form a child's/adult's person. You can't seperate the two. However one can be greater than the other.

Ask me anything I'll respond. (mailing is best)

Luna  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces