Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Cut off your arm you'll get a better one...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:44 pm
...that's actually a decision people will face sooner or later. Would you cut off body parts to replace them by better ones?

For example if you had an eye disease and have the possibility of receiving better, mechanical, ones, or would you do it anyways, just to have better eyes than you had before??

This is not a thread about "If I was a cyborg I'd kill everyone" or somewhat like this.

I ask myself if it wouldn't make more economical sense to replace malfunctional bodyparts, than to keep an failable organ working just for the sake.

Though I know, mechanical parts are an origin of errors, too. Don't think about todays technology, imagine all this in about 50 or 100 years...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:24 pm
It depends on one's perspective, or what they find more attractive.
In the future, this may become commonplace, with implants for no good reason, other than 'they look cool.'
There may be the odd person who will not do it, even if they have an arm lopped off, but there ya go.  

Sullen Couch

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:20 pm
well, i mainly prefer the abilities of my own bodies abilities, butyeah, i might be willing to replace a few things, and certainly so if i got a disease or something that would need me to.

but i'd certainly not be willing to have it wifi'ed like in "ghost in the shell". not willing to run the risk of having my body hacked.......  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:44 am
Sullen Horror
In the future, this may become commonplace, with implants for no good reason, other than 'they look cool.'

Already happening, it's called "bodymodding", though implants, piercings and tattoos are some kind of body mods, too. Some people already implant metallic stuff between the skin and muscles, so that the implant leaves prints.

Sullen Horror

There may be the odd person who will not do it, even if they have an arm lopped off, but there ya go.

That already happened more than once, there have been people who lost an arm and received new arms from dead people and returned them like "It just doesn't feel like mine."

Just to add some knowledge wink  

Verderbnis

Sullen Couch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:10 pm
Wow.
Four responses, and no one made a FullMetal Alchemist reference.
Whoops, I just did.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff