Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
what are emotions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mythic-TwilighT-Venom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:03 pm
what are emotions really and why do they effect us so much i find myself helping ppl i usally hate and let my emotions controll me but can they be controlled? question  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:24 pm
Well, scientifically speaking, emotions are chemical imbalances in the brain which alter certain functions, perceptions, and abilities. They affect us (or most of us, anyways) so much because we can't outright control them 100% of the time. However, they can be controlled. I hate to make this a 'duh' moment, but meds for bipolars (no offense meant to any who might read this, I assure you) do exactly that. They alter chemical flows to control anger and calmness. There is a chemical in chocolate (I can't remember the exact name right now) that increases endorphin releases by signaling certain neurotransmitters to do so. However, when this chemical is used up and cycled away, that's when the sugar crash happens.

Since we're on the topic, what emotions are you being controlled by?  

Intelife

0Jason Voorhees0 rolled 20 100-sided dice: 56, 70, 21, 40, 14, 52, 67, 17, 21, 1, 10, 48, 91, 69, 21, 53, 66, 8, 1, 82 Total: 808 (20-2000)

0Jason Voorhees0

Romantic Werewolf

9,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:15 am
While Intelife is right on the scinetifical explanation; I theorize that emotions not only reflect the way you feel, but also the way you lead your life. If your depressed most of the time, negative things happen most of the time, ect., ect..

I am being controlled by depression and happyness.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:24 pm
I think what you mean is that emotions determine how we view things. Yes, if we have negative emotions, more things will seem bad than good, and vice versa, but being negative doesn't necessarily attract bad things to you like a magnet. I'd drag this into a subjective/objective reality argument, but that'd be off topic.

Anyhow, the way I see things, a positive event, like beating a videogame, finally figuring out the damned chords for Misery Business, or getting the highest score in your school on a test, is like a big golden ball to set on the day's shelf, and every bad event is like a bit of dust that you can't wipe away. In my opinion, really, nothing material is worth having unless it means something more than a pretty image. Hence my hatred for modern art. stare

If you let emotions run your life like Jac's theory states, you'll be rejected at every turn. >.<  

Intelife

0Jason Voorhees0

Romantic Werewolf

9,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:45 am
As that may be true, but if you have no emotion to lead your life... what is the point of living? All emotions will lead ones life, If you want to live a full life. Enough of that, It's getting off topic...

Emotions can be good or bad, but that does not mean that they should be explainable.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:46 pm
I think Jac's last point (if you don't mind me saying this again) is that we can answer the 'what' of emotions, but not so much the 'why' or 'how'. ^^

Oh, and if you want a life devoid of emotion, try the test subject from Portal. ^^ just an fyi.  

Intelife

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff