Submit

Farrenlock

High-functioning Giver

13,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 am
For all of my life, I've had the issue of speaking up for myself. Even in words I couldn't relay what I wanted to the teacher. When I couldn't take the pressure anymore, I release my problems in anger and upset my teachers.

This has lasted for all my school life. My recent problem is in my Debate class. All the students have meetings and such, but I'm left on the sidelines. I want to do a debate, but the topics they do are difficult to understand. I did miserably in government class and history class. It's only this year that I'm catching up on the education that I've lost. Because I don't understand, my teacher says don't worry about it, work on poetry.

I don't mind poetry, but I want to work on debates! I want to talk to the public and become a strong speaker! Ironic though, isn't it? I can't even tell my teacher I want to participate in the school outings.

I've actually told her that I wanted to be in the debates, and she asked me what I wanted to do. But, I couldn't tell her. I knew nothing about the debate class, nothing. The teacher was too busy for me. She was too busy to ever teach me the basics. It didn't help that I transphered into her class in the middle of the year. I was taken into her class because me and family hated the theater teacher. He didn't take care of me, and gave me something I was allergic to. So many have gotten hurt in the class, so I was taken away from it.

I think my teacher sees me as a student just filling in a slot of my schedule. I don't think she believes that I'm serious about the class. How can I be serious if I know nothing about the class?

How can I tell her how I feel? How can I become a strong speaker? How can I learn to become a debater, if my teacher won't teach?

That last question might appear to be easy to answer. I could just look it up online right? No, I cannot. Debate is something I have to see! Something that I have to hear to understand! I'm a visual learner, and a listening learner.

Sorry for making such a long post, but I really need help. Please, anything will do!  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 pm
Well it seems like you are good at writing, so maybe you could put all of your feelings into a letter and give it to your teacher.
That helps me a lot sometimes when I write down my feelings instead of speaking them.  

Sprockette

roni_ruin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:43 pm
well... i can only say you really need to sit down and talk calmly, maybe take the advice above and write it out first, practise it, just like a speach. As for the debate stuff, what do they debate? Cause i know we used to talk about the current events, whats on the news, maybe you should try watching CNN and whatever political shows are on in your area, help you catch up that way.

I'm sure if you show you're willing, by doing some work at home with textbooks or whatever, the teacher is bound to notice you need help, and at least make time for you.

"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games