Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Oh, the diseases...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXx_takashi58_xXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:45 pm
Do you think there will be a cure for cancer, AIDS, and the swine flu? (I said 'Do YOU think' not 'Is there a cure'. Thank you for stating the facts, but this is a topic about your opinion)  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:51 pm
You can not cure a virus. You can merely become immune to it to whatever point your system can take...
HIV/AIDS and Influenza are viruses.  

Kamira Erythren

Devoted Defender

11,000 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100

Lus-cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:32 pm
I know why all the world is meant to be freaked about swine flu! Its strange. In recorded history there has only ever been three strains of swine flu and first two that broke out killed like 3% of the population.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:35 pm
With the way technologies are evolving and improving, it's possible that there will be cures for these diseases. Although there are time where I think that we shouldn't, because the morbid truth is that with these diseases Nature is keeping our numbers from getting too high.  

Cevadeva

Deppfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:03 pm
xXKatakiXx
With the way technologies are evolving and improving, it's possible that there will be cures for these diseases. Although there are time where I think that we shouldn't, because the morbid truth is that with these diseases Nature is keeping our numbers from getting too high.

It's because of vaccines for so many illnesses that the world population has skyrocketed in the past 100 years or so. Imagine if those vaccines hadn't been developed. The human population would be half what it is.

And I must re-iterate... THERE IS NO CURE FOR A VIRUS! You can vaccinate to prevent it, but there is no cure. You can take medications to lessen the effects of it, but you cannot "cure" it.

And the swine flu bullshit... more than 30 THOUSAND people die in the world every year from the regular flu. How miniscule are the numbers for the swine flu? Maybe a few hundred? And normally, we can't get it. The only reason the outbreak happened is because it was transferred to birds, and then mutated. This mutation allowed people to contract it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:19 pm
'I SAID DO YOU THINK THERE'S A CURE' NOT 'IS THERE A CURE'. READ PLEASE, READ!  

xXx_takashi58_xXx

Deppfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:30 pm
The Marxer

Well, obviously, if there's not a cure, then we don't think there is one. How bout YOU READ?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:06 am
Deppfan Teague
The Marxer

Well, obviously, if there's not a cure, then we don't think there is one. How bout YOU READ?

I obviously said "Do YOU think there is a cure" NOT "Is there a cure". Opinions are different than facts. You could at least say "I don't think there is a cure" so that you're answering it right in a way that you like it, so YOU READ.  

xXx_takashi58_xXx

Deppfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:50 am
The Marxer
Deppfan Teague
The Marxer

I obviously said "Do YOU think there is a cure" NOT "Is there a cure". Opinions are different than facts. You could at least say "I don't think there is a cure" so that you're answering it right in a way that you like it, so YOU READ.

But what does it matter what we THINK on the subject, if it is proven that there is no cure?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:43 am
Deppfan Teague
The Marxer
Deppfan Teague
The Marxer

But what does it matter what we THINK on the subject, if it is proven that there is no cure?

Listen, all I want are opinions. Just say that you don't believe there are any cures and leave it at that.  

xXx_takashi58_xXx

Nerevar Fatehand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:10 pm
The Marxer

Listen, all I want are opinions. Just say that you don't believe there are any cures and leave it at that.
Not to be a bit of a nitpicker but that kind of defeats the purpose of "Intelligent" discussion, what with not taking into account facts and such heh  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Nerevar Fatehand
The Marxer

Not to be a bit of a nitpicker but that kind of defeats the purpose of "Intelligent" discussion, what with not taking into account facts and such heh

I ACCEPTED THE FACT THAT THERE ARE NO CURES, OKAY? GEEZ, IT'S CALLED HOPE FOR THE FUTURE.

AND FINE YOU WIN THIS ARGUMENT DEPPFAN.  

xXx_takashi58_xXx

Nerevar Fatehand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 pm
Ah hope for the future then. Well cancer I could see an eventual cure for but AIDs and the flu (None of this swine flu stupidity it's the same damn symptoms) are both viral infections and eventually we could find out a pattern to it's evolution and come out with vaccines for future strains but even then there are random unexplained twitches in them that could get past the vaccines so while they may become lessened they will never truly be cured.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:32 am
Nerevar Fatehand
Ah hope for the future then. Well cancer I could see an eventual cure for but AIDs and the flu (None of this swine flu stupidity it's the same damn symptoms) are both viral infections and eventually we could find out a pattern to it's evolution and come out with vaccines for future strains but even then there are random unexplained twitches in them that could get past the vaccines so while they may become lessened they will never truly be cured.

Exactly. That is the hurdle with all medicine, actually. Be it viruses, parasites, bacteria- they all can spontaneously mutate and evolve just enough that our current forms of treatment fail. We can only cure the current stage of anything that afflicts us. But then the good part of science is that it's an ever-changing field. As the diseases evolve, we study them and develop new methods.  

Deppfan

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff