Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Barrista

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:21 pm
So 2010 is going to be a big year for me... I'm turning 18 and graduating from high school.

Both are big events and at least one of them is expected to be celebrated with a big party. But... I'm not popular enough to have a big party. My community is very small, only 20 in my graduating class, and I've only been here for five years. Most of my classmates have known each other since Pre-K. Compared to that, I'm still a newbie with no childhood connections.

My Mom suggested having a small b-day dinner and a huge grad party. I told her honestly "Why? No one will come."

All I can think of is the Halloween party I held three years ago. It was a big to-do, my whole house was decorated and a bunch of food was cooked. I handed out invites to everyone in my grade. I didn't add a RSVP because we didn't expect that much. But then the party came... and only five people showed up. No music was blaring, no one was dancing. We ended up, all six of us, sitting in my living room floor and making small talk. It wasn't a failure per se... but it was definitely not a success.
---

I need advice on what I should do. I do want to have a party, but I don't want it to be a repeat of the Halloween party; I don't want to be depressed on my b-day or after my graduation. I have more friends now, but I'm not known for wild parties. But if I don't have a party at all... I'll feel like I'm letting my mom down. And I do feel like those two events need celebrating.
Argh. I'm just so confused.

Short version:

I don't feel I'm popular enough to have a party for my 18th birthday or graduation. But I do kind of want one and I feel like I should.

Suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:55 pm
I would Say have a small Party for your 18th Birthday with a few close friends and Family. And since it's Grad there will be a ton of Grad Parties. Just get involved with those if it means that much to have a Grad Party, My Schools bigger but student council somehow is planning a party every weekend. Which seems a bit much. Just Get involved with the other Grads and go to there planned parties. Participate in all the Grad Activities and see where it leads.  

cool4

Buggy Glitch

xXx suicidal_skittles xXx

5,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:51 pm
Im not anywhere near popular. I mean, I know half of the grade and they know who I am but they dont "know" me. I've grown up with most of these kids but no one cares.
If I were to have a party it woulld just be m close friends and family..
if i were you i would try and participate in the other grad parties..maybe there you will make some more friends to come to your party and get a few ideas.

well that probably didnt help you much...sorry

good luck! <3  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:10 pm
Both are important events, and you should only invite important people, like family and good friends. Those are the people who will appreciate the fact that you are a high school graduate or are legal to do more than just drive smile
Believe me, I will be graduating/turning 18 next year as well, but I am graduating from a much bigger school (like 350-450 in the graduating class alone) so the graduation is a much smaller issue, not only since there are a bunch of people graduating but I'll probably be going to Abby's pizza with the band after graduation xD
And I never make a big affair out of my birthday because it's a hassle. I much prefer celebrating with good friends and my parents rather than have a gigantic party that I have to provide food/entertainment for just for the benefit of a few more presents. It's much more fun that way.

Basically, if they're not your friend, they won't appreciate you or your celebration and that's no fun for anyone.  

Pi-face Sho

zfatal

Toothsome Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:15 pm
Ask your friends if they would be interested in coming to your party/ies. Then ask their thoughts on what you could do to make it more interesting/exciting.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:37 pm
I never invited many people to my parties, because I didn't know many. It was only in high school that I had an idea who I actually wanted to invite. Most of my parties consisted of eating around family and friends (and not many friends besides - only about five!). I think all a celebration really needs is people who care enough to celebrate with you. Having fun with a few very close friends is better than having a bunch of people around who you barely know.  

kazeryuu620

Parrapluie

7,500 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:08 pm
Just have a small party 3nodding Quality over quantity. What I normally do is watch a movie, eat some cake, just have natural ol' fun with the fam, because parties feel unnatural for me.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games