Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KingJack!

5,850 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:18 pm
Here, let's talk about the HG/SS teams we're planning. If you're not getting one or both of the games, then at least help with our teams?

My team will have a nicknaming theme, as I usually do (Gen 3 used the first syllables in the Pokemon's English name, then repreated (i.e.: Wurple is Wuwu), Gen 4 was literature-themed (Infernape was Goku, Gliscore were Nosferatu and Dracula), and LG were based on characters from books and manga (Poliwrath was Wrath, Doduo was Compton)).

The theme for this game will be songs.

Cyndaquil (Starter): Spin
(You Spin ME Right Round)

Chikorita (Traded from D/P): Minogue(? Still working)
(Kylie Minogue)

Todadile (Traded, too): Immortal (?)
(My Immortal)

Sudowoodo: Gold
(Spandau Ballet song)

The other two, I'm still working on. I was thinking of a Smoochum named Ice Baby. Got any suggestions as to whom shall be added?

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Now that you mention teams, I realize I've forgotten to include HM slaves into my team planning. All I knew was that I was going to use a Jynx hatched from an egg sent from Platinum. (Born with Ice Beam + Shadow Ball + Grass Knot + Water Pulse, Modest with 31 Special Attack and 31 Speed.) For double-teams, I'll probably want to boost the level of the starter.

Anyway, back to the HM slave deal... I queries my pokemon program to find potential HM slaves for HGSS, leaving out Smeargle (who has to sketch all of them) and legendaries (since you can't breed them)...

/Users/ekraft/pokemon > pokesearch -i standard -c "hms:hms_hgss * moveset" -c "valid:(size(hms)>3 && ~legendary && name!=smeargle)" valid "size(match)>0" -d match -c "match:{x:pokemon}{value(x, &valid) && size(value(x, &hms) + hms) == 8}"
id | name | match
-------------------------------------------------------
6 | Charizard | swampert+empoleon
149 | Dragonite | swampert+empoleon
260 | Swampert | dragonite+charizard+salamence+tropius
357 | Tropius | swampert+empoleon
373 | Salamence | swampert+empoleon
395 | Empoleon | salamence+charizard+dragonite+tropius

I don't think I can set any of those up in short time, so I'm probably going to choose two Mews or something. (I need a quick solution ; my copies could arrive any day now.)

On the other hand, I should see if I can quickly update my program to include other pokemon that can learn Whirlpool. Since Whirlpool was neither a TM nor an HM, the amount of potential candidates could be bigger...

EDIT:

Naturally, even though I haven't updated my program's internal database, I can always use its flexibility to hack it. Copy+Pasta the Serebii Whirlpool attackdex page (just the section on who learns Whirlpool via HM), some simple regex to parse it into something I can use with my program, and creating a function to conditionally add Whirlpool as an HM...

/Users/ekraft/pokemon > pokesearch -i standard -c "hms:hms_hgss * moveset + whirl" -c "valid:(size(hms)>3 && ~legendary && {smeargle, dragonite} != name)" valid "size(match)>0" -c "match:{x:pokemon}{value(x, &valid) && size(value(x, &hms) + hms) == 8}" -c "whirl:({Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Psyduck, Golduck, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Seel, Dewgong, Shellder, Cloyster, Krabby, Kingler, Lickitung, Rhydon, Kangaskhan, Horsea, Seadra, Goldeen, Seaking, Staryu, Starmie, Tauros, Gyarados, Lapras, Vaporeon, Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops, Snorlax, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Mew, Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligatr, Sentret, Furret, Chinchou, Lanturn, Marill, Azumarill, Politoed, Wooper, Quagsire, Slowking, Qwilfish, Sneasel, Corsola, Remoraid, Octillery, Mantine, Kingdra, Miltank, Suicune, Tyranitar, Lugia, Mudkip, Marshtomp, Swampert, Zigzagoon, Linoone, Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo, Pelipper, Exploud, Makuhita, Hariyama, Azurill, Aggron, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Wailmer, Wailord, Barboach, Whiscash, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Feebas, Milotic, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Clamperl, Huntail, Gorebyss, Relicanth, Luvdisc, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon, Bibarel, Rampardos, Buizel, Floatzel, Shellos, Gastrodon, Garchomp, Munchlax, Finneon, Lumineon, Mantyke, Weavile, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Palkia, Phione, Manaphy, Arceus} == name)?{whirlpool}:{}" -d match
id | name | match
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 | Charizard | omastar+bibarel+ludicolo+blastoise+feraligatr+poliwrath+kabutops+golduck+empoleon+swampert
9 | Blastoise | salamence+charizard+tropius
55 | Golduck | charizard+tropius+salamence
62 | Poliwrath | tropius+charizard+salamence
139 | Omastar | charizard+tropius+salamence
141 | Kabutops | charizard+salamence+tropius
160 | Feraligatr | salamence+tropius+charizard
260 | Swampert | salamence+charizard+tropius
272 | Ludicolo | tropius+salamence+charizard
357 | Tropius | feraligatr+golduck+blastoise+swampert+ludicolo+empoleon+omastar+kabutops+poliwrath+bibarel
373 | Salamence | feraligatr+swampert+empoleon+blastoise+kabutops+ludicolo+golduck+omastar+poliwrath+bibarel
395 | Empoleon | salamence+charizard+tropius
400 | Bibarel | tropius+charizard+salamence

Each of those pokemon can learn these HMs:

id | name | hms
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 | Charizard | cut+fly+rock smash+strength
9 | Blastoise | rock climb+rock smash+strength+surf+waterfall+whirlpool
55 | Golduck | rock climb+rock smash+strength+surf+waterfall+whirlpool
62 | Poliwrath | rock climb+rock smash+strength+surf+waterfall+whirlpool
139 | Omastar | rock climb+rock smash+surf+waterfall+whirlpool
141 | Kabutops | cut+rock climb+rock smash+surf+waterfall+whirlpool
160 | Feraligatr | cut+rock climb+rock smash+strength+surf+waterfall+whirlpool
260 | Swampert | rock climb+rock smash+strength+surf+waterfall+whirlpool
272 | Ludicolo | rock climb+rock smash+strength+surf+waterfall+whirlpool
357 | Tropius | cut+fly+rock smash+strength
373 | Salamence | cut+fly+rock smash+strength
395 | Empoleon | cut+rock climb+rock smash+strength+surf+waterfall+whirlpool
400 | Bibarel | cut+rock climb+rock smash+strength+surf+waterfall+whirlpool

This means I can use my normal Bibarel + Tropius combination. I'll try that.

So, Jynx + Starter + Tropius + Bibarel.

(For the starter, I'm leaning towards... Cyndaquil, but if I choose Totodile then rival will use Chikorita (which won't like Jynx's Ice Beam, not one bit.) But Grass Knot and Water Pulse will probably work just fine.  

Nadian
Crew

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:36 pm
I'm going to try to go through the game as a clone of my Silver game.
that means only gen 1 and 2 pokemon for actual usage until I've beaten the elite four. (still capturing them though) I hope that any of the gen 3 and 4 poemon that show up will be showing up after the game is completed, or, uh, in addition to all the G/S/C pokemon appearances by location.
I'd hate for my favorite generation to be reworked to the point of it just being a remake of gen two because of the map.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:55 am
wellwisher
I'm going to try to go through the game as a clone of my Silver game.
that means only gen 1 and 2 pokemon for actual usage until I've beaten the elite four. (still capturing them though) I hope that any of the gen 3 and 4 poemon that show up will be showing up after the game is completed, or, uh, in addition to all the G/S/C pokemon appearances by location.
I'd hate for my favorite generation to be reworked to the point of it just being a remake of gen two because of the map.

...What? Oh, now I get it.

Also, I might change the naming theme to characters from Rocky Horror. I already did that, but meh. OR maybe I could name them after monsters? biggrin  

KingJack!

5,850 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
"PPP" Peoples' Pokemon Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items